Classic Kung Fu movies

lightningxlock

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Any of you chaps seen Magnificent Butcher?

Yep, it's one of the last Wong Fei Hung movies with Kwan Tak Hing in it. I've got it on an old imported VHS, with the traditional hiddeous HK cover art.

It's good, but not so good that I couldn't think of a dozen movies of that era that I'd sooner watch.

• Paid Members

Found some more old posts of mine.

Hapkido

Another kung fu "classic" I'd been wanting to see for years, particularly as I'm a Hapkido practicioner myself.

The plot is very reminiscent of Bruce Lee's Fist of Fury, with several actors reprising essentially the same role in this film as they did in Fist of Fury. This time, it's the Japanese having a problem with the Koreans having a school.

Plenty of future stars are apparently in this one. I spotted Jackie Chan (as a member of both the Korean school and the Japanese school. Two timing bastard!), Lam Chin Ying and Yuen Wah. Apparently Yuen Biu is visible, but I didn't spot him.

The action scenes are a mixed bag. At the beginning we get Chi Hon Choi (the "father of modern Hapkido") doing some fantastic joint lock work, and Whang In Sihk with his trademark kicking awesomeness. Apart from that though, most of the fight scenes are typical early 70s big swinging punches and crescent kicks. Not particularly Hapkido-based at all.

All is not lost though, as you've got Samo Hung, Carter Wong and Angela Mao Ying in the lead rolls. Mao Ying has a reputation as a respectable, wholesome woman, but in this she absolutely smoulders. There's some underlying sexual chemistry between her and Wong, and she looks like she could fuck you into a spinal brace, and then demand a refund.

In short, it's good, but unbalanced between really good stuff, and just okay stuff.

Iron Fisted Monk.

Aah, classic Samo Hung chop socky. This I did enjoy. Samo is probably at his most agile and acrobatic in this, and his choregraphic prowess is as good as it ever was. It's a typical "training with the Shaolin's so he can take revenge" affair, with the sides being based around the hatred between the Hans and the Manchus.

The villain in this is Fong Hak On, who is perhaps at his best in this. His kung fu looks great and he just radiates evil. He's always been one of the genre's best bad guys but he's at another level in this.

A slight downfall is that there's not really anyone of note (apart from Chen Sing and Dean Shek) in the supporting cast, but meh, it's not exactly a bad thing with Samo and Fong being on the form they are.

Finally got round to watching Kung Pow: Enter The Fist.

I'd been umming and arring over it for ages, not sure if I'd like it or hate it.

Turns out it's an absolute gem. Instead of being just a straight parody as I thought it would be, the director has taken a genuine chop socky film from the 70's, superimposed himself into it, added new scenes and redubbed the whole thing.

The humour is the stoopid, Zucker brothers type approach of throwing as many gags in there as possible and hoping that some of them stick.

Ideal for nights with your mates and a few beers.

Movies4men on Sky has been showing some old school kung fu movies in the early hours, most are cheap movies with no noticable starts but they did show Snake in the Monkeys Shadow which is pretty good.

Last Hurrah for Chivalry is one of my favourtie movies of all time, I love every second of it, the movie has the most amazing sword play ever and should be watched by everyone.

I'm actually I think one of the only people who likes Jackie Chans Lo Wei movies, Magnificent Bodyguards and Dragon Fist are unsung classics but you can't top Sammo's movies from the late 70's early 80's.

Never been a huge fan of Lau Kar Leungs work though, crazy as it seems I never enjoyed his movies.

• Paid Members
Movies4men on Sky has been showing some old school kung fu movies in the early hours, most are cheap movies with no noticable starts but they did show Snake in the Monkeys Shadow which is pretty good.

Wilson Tong? There's too many movies with similar titles.

I'm actually I think one of the only people who likes Jackie Chans Lo Wei movies, Magnificent Bodyguards and Dragon Fist are unsung classics.

Dragon Fist is generally loved by those that see it, it's just that not many seem to have seen it. Magnificent Bodyguards is enjoyable enough, and now would be a good time to reissue it in 3D, assuming a 3D print of it still exists.

Even though Jackie has repeatedly advised people not to watch it, I didn't think To Kill With Intrigue was that bad.

Never been a huge fan of Lau Kar Leung's work though, crazy as it seems I never enjoyed his movies.

Get the fuck out.

I love Wheels on Meals which is Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung and Yeun Biao. Worth a watch for the Chan vs Benny Urquidez scene. First saw this on Channel 4 in 1992ish and my dad stayed up and taped it for me.

You can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgOtOHUcjAM

The dubbing on that version of it on youtube is atrocious and completely ruins the movie IMO, just playing everything for cheap laughs.

As said though, the

is a must see though, arguably Jackie Chan's greatest. The film as a whole isn't the best but it's interesting to see a HK martial arts movie filmed on location in Europe (mostly in Italy, with a view scenes actually filmed in Barcelona).

I love Wheels on Meals which is Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung and Yeun Biao. Worth a watch for the Chan vs Benny Urquidez scene. First saw this on Channel 4 in 1992ish and my dad stayed up and taped it for me.

You can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgOtOHUcjAM

The dubbing on that version of it on youtube is atrocious and completely ruins the movie IMO, just playing everything for cheap laughs.

As said though, the

is a must see though, arguably Jackie Chan's greatest. The film as a whole isn't the best but it's interesting to see a HK martial arts movie filmed on location in Europe (mostly in Italy, with a view scenes actually filmed in Barcelona).

Just for the record I wasnt saying the dubbing on it was briliant as it is obviously the drizzling shits. But the thread was started asking for badly dubbed films with awesome fights... so according to that description I dont think it gets better than Wheels on Meals and I thought it was good to share the link to the full film legally on youtube

I immediately thought of Born Invincible which is just hilarious for all the wrong reasons however the fights are amazing and still hold up well. Not a surprise since this has Yuen Woo Pings prints all over it.

The star of the movie is the main villian Carter Wong and to describe him is really difficult but he's absolutely hilarious and steals every scene partly due to his bonkers voice dub, oh and it has those wacky sound effects in there too.

Have a look at the trailer to get an idea, the dubbing is atrocious but in a good way and no way detracts from the fights and erm...story. Cheap as chips on Amazon.

519PBP8TVFL._SS500_.jpg

517RVRHGDNL._SS500_.jpg

Got that one :thumbsup: Appealed to me because of the Tai Chi element. Fun film, shame the Tai Chi master is the baddie lol

Tai Chi Master is awesome! For different reasons to Born Invincible :)

Archived