The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

4 minutes ago, FLips said:

Bought myself a Mega Drive II today. Deeeep trouble.

Honestly, there's nothing better (in a gaming sense) than playing the Sonic games on the original console. And fuck the idea that the UK games are lesser because they're slower - I don't mind that at all! And I'll die on the hill of the slowed down Sonic 1 soundtrack being the best version!! I absolutely love my Mega Drive. 

• Paid Members

Well nevermind that Rooster because it doesn’t even power on! CEX does it again!

EDIT: Ha! Get fucked CEX I’ll do it myself.

IMG_9734.jpeg

Edit 2:

So I have no idea what happened with it.

I popped into CEX on my way home as I was in the office for a change and had a nice early 3pm finish. I had an £18 credit note I was planning on getting The West Wing and The Wire with but alas I saw their last Mega Drive for £48 which like every other console is way more than it was last time I had one. Still the credit note brought it to £30 which was a little more palateable, and they sweetened the deal with a composite cable rather than a standard RF so that saved me a few quid too. A 6 button controller would have been the cherry on top but sadly it was a Mega Drive I black and grey 3 button. Overall a hodgepodge of bits but whatever.

I popped into an indie retro place I'm good mates with and they gave me a dodgy Mortal Kombat 3 knockoff cartridge someone left there, which I won't say no to as it was one of my childhood games. Waste of time with a 3 button pad though!
Popped to a mate's house to borrow a proper cartridge just in case before I go buying games for it too.

Got it home, and it wouldn't power on at all so I looked up Youtube tutorials and they all said the same thing, open it up and check the solder on the power input as it likely has been worn down. I opened it up (a lot easier to do than the PS1 and NES) and aside from being mucky everything looked to be in order so I closed it back up with the plan of trying my mate's power block to make sure a fuse in mine hadn't gone. As I finished putting it together though I instinctively pressed the power button and it felt cleaner and more responsive than before, so I thought whatever I'll check. Lo and behold the red lights came on now but the carts wouldn't load!

So I opened it back up again and used long tweezers to get hair and fluff and dust out the cartridge slot, then used alcohol and a toothbrush and cotton buds to give it all a good clean and put it back together again. Everything works now even the clearly knockoff MK3!

So I've just ordered a Mega Everdrive cart off AliExpress for £20 including postage to arrive within 5 days. It won't play CD or 32X but tbh who cares?

In less than a week I should have a Mega Drive with a full library for £50 which isn't bad at all. Desperately need a 6 button pad though.

Edited by FLips

• Paid Members

As a SNES owner, I used to subscribe to SuperPlay which was always an excellent and amusing read. I later subscribed to Edge until the amount of free time I had dropped in my 30s.

I was thinking the other day how I’d play the same game over and over as a kid. That was true from when I was allowed to buy new games for my Amstrad in the 80s for £1.99 and then continued into my Master System years.

My first cartridge was Shinobi which was double-hard, but the mix of the novelty of having a console, a cartridge game and the fact it cost a lot of money meant I figured out every single aspect of it and must’ve played through it scores of times.

Apart from the limited choice back then, I think a big aspect of the appetite to replay was that none of the games I had were bought with my own money, so everything I had was a gift of sorts. I think that made every game feel special and I do kind of miss that as an adult with a vast choice of formats and titles, mixed with the disposable income to buy what I like.

That said, I couldn’t tell you the last time I paid more than a few quid for a game. Astro Bot looks amazing, but £60? No thanks.

Edited by Scratch

• Paid Members
On 9/5/2024 at 2:57 PM, JLM said:

I still have a massive stack  of issues of Gamesmaster from the 90s in my garage. Can’t bring myself to chuck them.

I remember a Gamesmaster review of Dragonheart: Fire and Steel for the Saturn wherein the reviewer’s disdain was so palpable it has stuck with me to this day.

“Playing as sir Bowen, you hack and slash your way across a variety of levels in order to… to win the bloody speedboat, who cares, this is awful.” 

Really caught me off guard. 

Also remember a review of an F-Zero/Wipeout type game that ran at a silky smooth 60fps but had awful controls and the reviewer said “it moves like an absolute bastard but sadly handles like an absolute bastard.” Love that. 

I always used to leaf through the magazines and find the worst reviewed games, because they usually felt like they were the most creative and amusingly written ones. 

@RedTwoster@RedTwoster was it PlayStation World aka PSW? It had a bit of the "lad mag" about it.

1 hour ago, Jazzy G said:

I always used to leaf through the magazines and find the worst reviewed games, because they usually felt like they were the most creative and amusingly written ones. 

@RedTwoster@RedTwoster was it PlayStation World aka PSW? It had a bit of the "lad mag" about it.

Were you meaning to @ @TildeGuy~!, here? Hope you find the magazine and that this helps, Tilde!

On 9/5/2024 at 4:20 PM, TildeGuy~! said:

Absolute long shot but…

I remember going to Earls Court with some school friends (would have either been 2001 or 2002) for the PlayStation Experience(basically tons of consoles and TV’s where you could play all the new PS2 games coming soon) and being interviewed by a magazine asking for my opinion on some of the new games(I remember being hyped for the new Pro Evo and Onimusha 2)then a few months later someone came up to me at School telling me my interview was on a demo disc that came with said magazine. 

I have completely forgotten what the magazine was called but I’m pretty sure it was an unofficial PlayStation Mag, anyone have the smallest idea of what it could be?

Can’t help with the clip but was this the same event that Blazing Squad played Crossroads and Kieron Dyer did some kick ups in front of Lucy Pinder on stage for some reason? If so, every chance we might have played a game of whatever NHL was out at the time.

• Paid Members
On 9/5/2024 at 4:20 PM, TildeGuy~! said:

Absolute long shot but…

I remember going to Earls Court with some school friends (would have either been 2001 or 2002) for the PlayStation Experience(basically tons of consoles and TV’s where you could play all the new PS2 games coming soon) and being interviewed by a magazine asking for my opinion on some of the new games(I remember being hyped for the new Pro Evo and Onimusha 2)then a few months later someone came up to me at School telling me my interview was on a demo disc that came with said magazine. 

I have completely forgotten what the magazine was called but I’m pretty sure it was an unofficial PlayStation Mag, anyone have the smallest idea of what it could be?

Could be this?

https://tsarchives.fandom.com/wiki/ECTS_2002_(PlayStation_Experience)

https://greatreporter.com/2003/09/03/fatality-playstation-experience-fails/

Based on the dates it very well could be this demo? Though I can’t seem to find the contents of it to verify.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276517718511?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=B0CDcu38S6u&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=gVqiMiaxRbe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

3 hours ago, TheHighlightReel said:

Can’t help with the clip but was this the same event that Blazing Squad played Crossroads and Kieron Dyer did some kick ups in front of Lucy Pinder on stage for some reason? If so, every chance we might have played a game of whatever NHL was out at the time.

Yep that exact same event, they had Kieron Dyer on stage playing This is Football and I took a pic with Leilani Dowding who was promoting Dance Dance Revolution.

14 hours ago, FLips said:

Thanks for the suggestions, it was definitely from a magazine though, been looking for quite some time.

I guess it’ll just be one of those Lost Media things for me though.

• Paid Members

I gave up on Chrono Cross, it was just way too much for too little reward. The negatives just piled up and up and at it's core you had the makings of a really good game but with a battle system that took four Youtube tutorials to explain even the most basics aspects of, and an XP system that didn't reward you for playing.

Beautiful game with a really lovely soundtrack, but the actual gameplay, the bread and butter, amounted to nothing. I invested more time than I should have but sadly was overcame.

After a little research I ended up getting Dragon Quest VII to fill the PS1 JRPG gap and I'm enjoying that so far. It's apparently a huge game at over 100 hours, and looks incredibly dated, but nearly everywhere said the time investment is worth it. It's the 2nd best selling PS1 game in Japan just behind FFVII and the 20th worldwide which is impressive considering PAL never got a release, just NA and Japan. They actually delayed the release of FFIX to not compete with it!

If you've ever played a DQ game you know the general idea. Unnamed Hero protagonist, boisterous sidekicks, all the music, bells and whistles are the same. It's your brass tacks JRPG for better or worse. This one apparently has a very fun and impressive job system and a story to die for, so excited to commit to it. Hopefully it sticks the landing for me, my only criticisms so far being a wonky camera and though I don't mind it yet, there is zero hand holding. I can see myself getting lost sooner rather than later.

On the Megadrive front I wasn't happy with the way it looked so I got myself a fancy scart cable that arrived today. I can already notice a sharper image, whiter whites and clearer sound. It's hard to get too excited about it though as I gave my mate his game back so all I have to test is the notoriously ugly port of MK3. My rom cart should be here this week so I'm excited to try better games on it.
I was really underwhelmed with the blur and the dullness so hopefully this provides a better experience.

On 9/11/2024 at 5:51 PM, FLips said:

After a little research I ended up getting Dragon Quest VII to fill the PS1 JRPG gap and I'm enjoying that so far. It's apparently a huge game at over 100 hours, and looks incredibly dated, but nearly everywhere said the time investment is worth it. It's the 2nd best selling PS1 game in Japan just behind FFVII and the 20th worldwide which is impressive considering PAL never got a release, just NA and Japan. They actually delayed the release of FFIX to not compete with it!

I played the 3DS version of this, which has a lot of quality of life improvements. I actually really enjoyed it at first, but there came a point where I just felt fed up of it. I’d invested so much time in it by that point that I felt obliged to complete it, and I did - but it’s a game that would be much more fondly remembered if it was half the length that it is.

I’d highly recommend DQV - the DS version ideally - which is just so innovative, introducing so many cool concepts which were completely new to the genre. 

I’m really looking forward to you getting round to Live-a-Live too, to see if you love it as much as I did.