Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

Former Scottish football boss Jim Farry died of a heart attack last night.

The 55-year-old ex-SFA chief executive was rushed to hospital yesterday afternoon with chest pains.

His devastated family confirmed he passed away shortly afterwards.

A friend said: "This has come completely out of the blue, the family are inconsolable.

"He will be really sadly missed, he was a great guy, a real family man.

"He was someone who loved Scotland and he gave many years of dedicated service to Scottish football."

Farry, from East Kilbride, was a landscape gardener before joining the Scottish League in the 1970s.

He served as SFA chief executive from 1990 to 1999. He came under fire in 1997 for rejecting calls to switch a Scotland game on the day of Princess Diana's funeral.

The match, against Belarus, was moved after calls from players.

Farry was sacked for gross misconduct after a dispute with Celtic owner Fergus McCann over the registration of Jorge Cadete.

After leaving the SFA, he worked for builders AKP.

He was married with two children and lived in Cambuslang.

Source: The Daily Record

Jim Farry was an arsehole when he worked for the SFA, but 55 is no age to go.

I feel for his family.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Craig Thomson had quite a good game to be fair. He certainly got the Ledley red card right and althought he Stevenson handball was a penalty I don't think he had the best view.

I'm pretty sure I could make out the 4th official saying to Thomson that it was foul and abusive language and 'he has to go'. In that case there's nothing else the referee can do.

I don't think there are many times we will be presented with such a gift in Rangers losing 3-0 at home.

It's ok. Rangers will still manage to raise their game when we visit them on Saturday! ;)

If the game was at Pittodrie, I'd actually be fairly confident of Aberdeen taking something. It has been a dismal run of form for the Dons but in Aberdeen/Rangers games at Pittodrie, it is kind of like a Glasgow derby in the sense that the form book goes out of the window and it would be typical of you guys to beat Rangers in spite of a poor string of results.

However, just as there's nothing more certain in life than death and taxes, it's a stick-on that Rangers will win at the weekend. Aberdeen are useless at Ibrox.

One can live in hope but - getting gubbed 3-0 at home by a Hibs team in turmoil is a very serious defeat.

• Paid Members
I don't think there are many times we will be presented with such a gift in Rangers losing 3-0 at home.

It's ok. Rangers will still manage to raise their game when we visit them on Saturday! ;)

If the game was at Pittodrie, I'd actually be fairly confident of Aberdeen taking something. It has been a dismal run of form for the Dons but in Aberdeen/Rangers games at Pittodrie, it is kind of like a Glasgow derby in the sense that the form book goes out of the window and it would be typical of you guys to beat Rangers in spite of a poor string of results.

However, just as there's nothing more certain in life than death and taxes, it's a stick-on that Rangers will win at the weekend. Aberdeen are useless at Ibrox.

One can live in hope but - getting gubbed 3-0 at home by a Hibs team in turmoil is a very serious defeat.

Hey, we got a goalless draw at Ibrox last season.

They way things have been going it would be just like us to go there and get something. I seriously doubt it though.

Aberdeen have just released a statement saying that Mark McGhee will remain in charge of the club :laugh:

To be fair, he hasn't become a bad manager overnight.

He did well with us, and he's highly thought of in England. It's the workrate of his players.

He needs to get some of them out in January, and replace them with decent professionals.

• Paid Members
Aberdeen have just released a statement saying that Mark McGhee will remain in charge of the club :laugh:

To be fair, he hasn't become a bad manager overnight.

He did well with us, and he's highly thought of in England. It's the workrate of his players.

He needs to get some of them out in January, and replace them with decent professionals.

Absolutely. I'm surprised he survived but honestly who do you bring in to replace him if he was sacked?

Hopefully now the fans will quit moaning and get behind the manager and the team.

Scotland squad for Tuesday 11th November vs. Faroe Islands at Pittodrie:

GK: C Bell (Kilmarnock), M Gilks (Blackpool), C Gordon (Sunderland)

DEF: P Bardsley (Sunderland), C Berra (Wolves), G Caldwell (Wigan), A Hutton (Spurs), S Whittaker (Rangers), D Wilson (Liverpool)

MID: C Adam (Blackpool), B Bannan (Aston Villa), C Burke (Cardiff), K Commons (Derby), G Dorrans (West Brom), D Fletcher (Man Utd), J Morrison (West Brom)

FOR: D Goodwillie (Dundee Utd), K Kyle (Hearts), J Mackie (QPR), S Naismith (Rangers)

Good young squad; there were a couple of names that I expected to see but didn't, as well as a couple of players who I didn't expect to be involved who are. Still, it's near bang on for a friendly against the Faroes on a Tuesday night, so hopefully this will teach us something about these younger players and give us a chance to see who can play and who can't. I imagine Steven Fletcher will be even less pleased having not been included in this squad.

On a side-note, Levein confirmed in a press conference that he has again been in touch with Andy Carroll's agent, but expects that he will be picked for England in their next squad. He did however say that if Capello again overlooks Carroll, he will approach him once more.

Archived