Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

People like Lee McCulloch, and to a lesser extent Barry Robson, bring nothing to a football team.

Except 2 league titles, a CIS Cup, A Scottish cup and a UEFA Cup Final appearance, a few key goals in big games (E.g Header Vs Lyon) And he was pretty prominent in all of those. Comment on your own team and what your own players offer. McCulloch had brought lots to our team over the years. Granted he's not the best football player I've ever seen and he has his shaky moments but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

I think it's a disgrace the amount of points they were docked. I have no affiliation to Dundee at all but surely we should be helping the clubs in the lower divisions stay alive at times like this and no basically sign their death warrants?

You've surely changed your tune....

It's about all he's good for kicking and elbowing. He's the worst midfielder I've seen at ibrox. And I'm talking worse than Emerson and Capucho.

Haha, good find.

I don't think I've made it any secret I've not always been his biggest fan.

But he doesn't do much different now to what he did a year ago. Like Black and Tokely, he's just a hatchet man.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is apparently a referee on FollowFollow who has been keeping them all updated on the Tannadice debacle. Apparently a witness has stepped forward to back up Steven Craven's story in the referee row.

You know, I went back and read Soapy's post aimed at myself, and I even crafted a long-winded response to it, but then I decided to stop and simply ask some of the proper Celtic fans - you know, the actual football fans who it's easy to have a bit of banter and talk about football with, not the sectarian - do any of you agree with Soapy's assessment of Rangers? I only ask because he is literally the only fan I've come across (who's actually spoken to me) to take such a narrow-minded view of the club.

Fair enough if you hate the club; let's face it, at the end of the day the Old Firm is arguably the biggest rivalry in the world and there's no reason not to hate your greatest rivals; but do any of you genuinely think that the club is so rotten to the core that it's as evil as he says?

Oh, and Soapy? You're a bigoted cunt and I really hate you and anyone like you (whatever 'side' they're on) for what you do to football.

For everyone else; how about that Dundee, eh? Bad times.

You know, I went back and read Soapy's post aimed at myself, and I even crafted a long-winded response to it, but then I decided to stop and simply ask some of the proper Celtic fans - you know, the actual football fans who it's easy to have a bit of banter and talk about football with, not the sectarian - do any of you agree with Soapy's assessment of Rangers? I only ask because he is literally the only fan I've come across (who's actually spoken to me) to take such a narrow-minded view of the club.

Fair enough if you hate the club; let's face it, at the end of the day the Old Firm is arguably the biggest rivalry in the world and there's no reason not to hate your greatest rivals; but do any of you genuinely think that the club is so rotten to the core that it's as evil as he says?

Oh, and Soapy? You're a bigoted cunt and I really hate you and anyone like you (whatever 'side' they're on) for what you do to football.

For everyone else; how about that Dundee, eh? Bad times.

I wouldn't say the club is evil as such. I'd say some of the beliefs of certain fans are evil, and some of what they find funny is downright sick. Jokes about paedophilia don't grind well with me, and even more so now that I have a son. Especially when it's about someone who is not alive to defend himself and when it's completely untrue yet some Rangers fans actually believe it. Also when said man went out of his way to help Rangers fans in the Ibrox disaster. If you tell a lie often enough though, that's what happens. I also don't find singing about a famine that caused many deaths and people having to leave a country funny. Celtic fans do sing sick songs, I'm not saying our fans are perfect but I think the songs Rangers fans sing are a lot more offensive than any other team in the world.

I will admit however not all Rangers fans are like this. My best mate of 12 years is a Rangers fan and he's the nicest guy I've ever met. One half of my family are all Rangers fans as well.

St Johnstone officials have pledged to launch a "thorough" probe after Perth fans were accused of chanting racist abuse during an SPL clash.

Celtic midfielder Ki Sung-Yeung was allegedly the target of repeated taunts during Saturday's match at McDiarmid Park.

A small minority of fans were heard to bark at the South Korean star.

Some mindless fans also chanted "Who ate all the dogs?" at the 21-year-old during the clash.

At one stage the player, known as Ki, went to take a corner to be met by a group of fans "woofing" at him.

The song "Who ate all the dogs?" was also heard during the televised lunchtime encounter.

It is understood that the tasteless taunts refer to the reported use of dogs in Korean cuisine.

On various fans forums there was a furious backlash from fellow St Johnstone followers, many of whom described themselves as disgusted.

"Racism, sectarianism and bigotry should have no place in the modern game," one said.

"Would we laugh it off if monkey noises were made at Dubes (St Johnstone's black defender Michael Duberry) or would we be complaining about that?

"I don't think anyone would laugh it off."

He added, "In my opinion the same applies to going 'woof woof' to Korean players."

The writer described the incident as embarrassing.

He said, "Had to explain to my seven-year-old what the woofing was about...not fun."

Another fan said the yobs risked tarnishing the good reputation enjoyed by St Johnstone followers.

"The Saints fans going woof woof at the South Korean... are an embarrassment to the club," he said.

Another web user added, "Saints fans have a go at sectarianism of the Old Firm but condoning the woofing at Ki is hardly any better to be honest.

"At least condemn both and don't be a hypocrite."

One regular contributor said, "I hoped that I had perhaps imagined it on Saturday.

"It appears I didn't and cannot express my disgust enough at those who participated."

St Johnstone officials last night moved swiftly to act upon the allegations of racism.

"It has been brought to the club's attention that an extremely small minority of our support may have been responsible for making racist noises toward certain Celtic players during Saturday's game," a spokesman said.

"St Johnstone FC will conduct a thorough investigation into these allegations.

"We will consult both the police and our stewarding suppliers, G4S."

He added, "Additionally, we are appealing to fair-minded Saints fans, who make up the overwhelming majority of our support, to let us know if they are able to identify the individuals who may have been responsible."

Hopefully the club manage to find those responsible and act accordingly.

yawning%20man%20copy.jpg

Anyways.

It doesn't surprise me to hear that racial abuse was shouted at Ki (and, as far as we understand it, to Cha Du Ri as well) - the smaller clubs in this country like to create an image for themselves that they are superior and immaculate in comparison to Celtic and Rangers and don't get involved in all the nonsense: this is certainly not the case, as I've heard racist chants first hand at Fir Park, Pittodrie and Tynecastle. It no doubt goes on everywhere because when you've got that many people in a such a confined area, there will obviously be at least a few knuckle draggers, but these were the grounds where I have heard it. The abuse the Korean lads got the other day was audible on the ESPN coverage too.

It doesn't surprise me to hear that racial abuse was shouted at Ki (and, as far as we understand it, to Cha Du Ri as well) - the smaller clubs in this country like to create an image for themselves that they are superior and immaculate in comparison to Celtic and Rangers and don't get involved in all the nonsense: this is certainly not the case, as I've heard racist chants first hand at Fir Park, Pittodrie and Tynecastle. It no doubt goes on everywhere because when you've got that many people in a such a confined area, there will obviously be at least a few knuckle draggers, but these were the grounds where I have heard it. The abuse the Korean lads got the other day was audible on the ESPN coverage too.

I've never seen any instances where Motherwell fans have claimed to be "immaculate" in situations such as this, Soapy.

• Paid Members
as I've heard racist chants first hand at Fir Park, Pittodrie and Tynecastle. It no doubt goes on everywhere because when you've got that many people in a such a confined area, there will obviously be at least a few knuckle draggers, but these were the grounds where I have heard it.

Just out of interest what racist did you hear at Pittodrie.

I'm not saying it didn't happen as i know i have definately heard "Why don't you go home......" directed at the Celtic section. Just asking. :thumbsup:

as I've heard racist chants first hand at Fir Park, Pittodrie and Tynecastle. It no doubt goes on everywhere because when you've got that many people in a such a confined area, there will obviously be at least a few knuckle draggers, but these were the grounds where I have heard it.

Just out of interest what racist did you hear at Pittodrie.

I'm not saying it didn't happen as i know i have definately heard "Why don't you go home......" directed at the Celtic section. Just asking. :thumbsup:

Monkey chants towards Bobo Balde. It was a small pocket of guys, who more than likely ended up in the tinny that evening as they were absolutely wrecked. I'm not trying to be superior or anything (I heard my own fans regrettably giving Evander Sno racial abuse when I was watching an away CL match in McGinn's on Hope St), I'm just pointing out that more likely than not, every club in Scotland is guilty of this nonsense.

Back on topic....

Rangers should find it very tricky at the Mestalla tonight. I fear they missed their best chance by not beating Valencia two weeks ago and tonight they could've settled for the draw. Weiss, Edu, Lafferty and Papac are all doubts so it could be an uphill struggle.

Archived