Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

So, remember when there was talk about the Old Firm joining the Premiership and every chairman in the SPL came out and said the league would thrive without them? How come these same people are blocking attempts to make our league stronger by refusing to consider options for a new SPL format that don't include playing the Old Firm at their home ground twice?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be all for adding more teams to make the league stronger. The only problem would be - in the inaugural season, how would it be determined who comes into the Premier League? I'd say a league of 16 teams would work quite well.

I'd reckon these to be clubs suitable to be in the SPL:

Celtic

Rangers

Dundee Utd

Hibernian

Hearts

Aberdeen

Motherwell

Kilmarnock

St. Johnstone

St. Mirren

Hamilton Academicals

Inverness CT

Dunfermline

Falkirk

Raith Rovers

Dundee (if they are still around)

With any of the other First Division clubs coming up through promotion.

• Paid Members

According to the BBC

a 14-team league is regarded as the favoured option.

The plan is for each team to play each other once home and away (26 fixtures) before splitting into two sections, either six/eight or eight/six.

Teams would then play other teams in their section once more home and away.

It means those in the post-split section of six would play 36 matches and those in the group of eight would play 40 games.

This is probably the best option - and gives the incentive of more games against Celtic and Rangers at home if they finish in the top six/eight.

Surely it's just a case of letting the top 2 teams ii the First Division into the New and improved SPL?

Why can't we just have a 14 team league without the split and all of that nonsense?

I know it may be old fashioned, but it still works...

You mean 10? A straight non-gimmicked 14 team league can only really give you a 26 or 52 game season and neither of those are practical.

The proposed 14 team league sounds ok, but it will be a bastard to ever agree it as all the wee teams with any chance of finishing in the lower half will vote against anything that cuts back on 2 home games v the Old Firm.

Valencia will win tonight.

Why?

Rangers team to face Valencia: McGregor, Foster, Weir, Bougherra, Papac, Whittaker, Naismith, Davis, Edu, Weiss, Miller.

Why did we even sign Andy Webster in the first place? Plus Whittaker was bobbins at left back for Scotland last week.

You're not wrong though FUM. Fans of lower division clubs always point to First Division sides doing well in cups, but then have hissy fits when it's pointed out to them that winning one off matches when the players are raising their games for bigger opposition is a bit different to playing in the SPL.

There are a couple of teams that could hack it in the SPL or at least put up a fight, but the gap between the two divisions for the most part is pretty big.

Am I the only one who thinks bringing more teams into the league actually just makes it worse. The teams in the lower divisions are dross, no offence Haraga.

The better First Division sides are no worse than the likes of St. Mirren - I also think that the more well-supported clubs would add an edge to the league. There are some dismal grounds to go to like New Douglas Park, I can't stand it there. Hardly any Hamilton fans, and it's a crappy wee stadium. Maybe putting more clubs in the league will provoke interest?

Am I the only one who thinks bringing more teams into the league actually just makes it worse. The teams in the lower divisions are dross, no offence Haraga.

If it was increasing it to 18 or 20 teams, it would. But if it's only adding a couple on from the top of the first division, it's not going to make much, if any difference in terms of quality. Let's face it, there generally isn't much between say the 9th and 15th best team in the country anyway.

The good thing about this 14 team proposal is it keeps what was good about the split (having the top teams play each other towards the end to make an exciting climax to the season more likely - and likewise at the bottom), whilst getting rid of the unfair part of the split which is unbalanced fixtures. It would also add a bit of variety in comparison to a straight 10 team league. To keep it somewhat fresh and to avoid a mass of meaningless friendlies in the bottom half after the split, it would have to have at least two relegation spots though - possibly even a 2 legged play-off for the 3rd bottom and 3rd top of the 1st division..

Right now, the main Fife teams look like the only ones who have any real quality. Even then, Raith Rovers really do look like a bunch of hammer throwers. The first division really is fucking shit. Dunfermline are a class team though. Over the last couple of seasons they've been a joy to watch when they've played us. Especially the boy Cardle who's a real game changer.

Even adding the proposed 4 teams from the first division would see a pretty shit certainty for relegation coming up. Possibly two.

So, remember when there was talk about the Old Firm joining the Premiership and every chairman in the SPL came out and said the league would thrive without them? How come these same people are blocking attempts to make our league stronger by refusing to consider options for a new SPL format that don't include playing the Old Firm at their home ground twice?

Maybe because they believed that the league would thrive without the Old Firm due to the fact that it opens the door to a good few clubs having a realistic chance of winning the league title, which would boost interest and support in those clubs?

Making the league "stronger" won't change the fact that it'll still be Rangers & Celtic sitting at the top of the table, miles ahead of anyone else come seasons finish.

Well, Rangers 1-1 Valencia is the score, and Valencia can count themselves very lucky that they got away from that with a point.

Rangers missed two open goals, hit the post, Naismith had two sitters and Miller had two other clear chances to score, and Valencia scored from an OG. I think Rangers will be gutted that they never won and Smith will surely be throwing some boots at people. Foster deserves one in the eye.

Archived