Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

For me, the feeling isn't that Lennon 'brings it on himself' or anything of the sort, but more that he just cannot be the bigger man, and that he's stupid in that respect. He literally cannot control himself. If he'd walked down the tunnel having applauded the Celtic fans yesterday, he could've sauntered down to the dressing room as the man that never let the idiots bother him. As it is, he just looks like an idiot himself for pandering to them.

On a somewhat related note, haven't players been called into disciplinary proceedings for doing that exact gesture?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On a somewhat related note, haven't players been called into disciplinary proceedings for doing that exact gesture?

Indeed they have, however, one has to suspect that the authorities will be shitting themselves about pulling Lennon up about this, as it'll undoubtedly be portrayed as some sort of anti-Lennon act.

• Paid Members

A ban does nothing, other than further give people more reason to believe the bullshit. It's the police that should have a word with Neil Lennon. They need to remind him that his actions are only going to mean more threats and inturn more work for the police.

Don't you think that if Lennon had just applauded the Celtic fans and left the pitch, there would still have been some Rangers fans who would have found that offensive?

It's not what Neil Lennon does that some people find offensive. It doesn't matter to them what Neil Lennon does. Because it's who Neil Lennon is that offends them.

Over ten years in Glasgow Lennon has received death threats, been assaulted in the street, been sent live bullets in the post and been sent a parcel bomb intended to kill him.

Yesterday, as they sang at him "what's it like to live in fear?" he cupped his hands at the perpetrators.

Yeah, Lennon's the bad guy here.

As Lennon said in his post match interview, it was humour.

Perhaps now isn't quite the time for humour?

So they've to take away his humour as well as stopping him going to the park with his children? Lennon has been through a lot and when people are calling you a wanker for 90 minutes then singing, "how does it feel to live in fear?", at you, you're going to react at some point.

He's showing he's a strong character and isn't living in fear like they sing.

• Paid Members
Don't you think that if Lennon had just applauded the Celtic fans and left the pitch, there would still have been some Rangers fans who would have found that offensive?

It's not what Neil Lennon does that some people find offensive. It doesn't matter to them what Neil Lennon does. Because it's who Neil Lennon is that offends them.

Over ten years in Glasgow Lennon has received death threats, been assaulted in the street, been sent live bullets in the post and been sent a parcel bomb intended to kill him.

Yesterday, as they sang at him "what's it like to live in fear?" he cupped his hands at the perpetrators.

An Old Firm fan playing the victim again, things never change. There are a couple of pages of well rounded argument for your consideration in this thread, so it's pointless going into it again - as you seem to have missed why people have a problem with it (or ignored it).

BUT essentially the reason people take issue with it is because it's such a bloody stupid thing to do, as it's an aggressive taunt. You just wind up those that are threatening your family. Surely you must see how idiotic your manager was to do such a thing with the issues he's had to deal with all week?

No, I wouldn't imagine so actually.

What some Celtic fans can't seem to understand is that some people dislike Lennon simply because he's a cretin. That's not to say that there aren't a mindless section of people who hate him for other reasons, but it's hard to argue that he isn't a twat.

An Old Firm fan playing the victim again, things never change. There are a couple of pages of well rounded argument for your consideration in this thread, so it's pointless going into it again - as you seem to have missed why people have a problem with it (or ignored it).

BUT essentially the reason people take issue with it is because it's such a bloody stupid thing to do, as it's an aggressive taunt. You just wind up those that are threatening your family. Surely you must see how idiotic your manager was to do such a thing with the issues he's had to deal with all week?

Cupping your hand to your ear is an "aggressive taunt"? Seriously? Which part of the world are you from?

These people do not need a reason to be "wound up". They hate Neil Lennon with a passion which is hard to comprehend. They don't hate him because he argues with referees or because he *shock! horror!* cups his hands to his ears. They hate him because he is an Irish Catholic who is manager of Celtic.

Lennon idiotic in light of the issues last week? Nah. What's idiotic is focussing on a meaningless little gesture in light of the troubling events of last week.

A ban does nothing, other than further give people more reason to believe the bullshit. It's the police that should have a word with Neil Lennon. They need to remind him that his actions are only going to mean more threats and inturn more work for the police.

That maybe true but it still baffles me that there was a person that complained to the Police about something like that. The person that did that must have no testicles whatsoever and must have felt a complete moron complaining about to the authorities about something as minor as that.

Of course there are. There are Rangers fans offended by his very existence on this mortal coil. But it doesn't give any sort of defence to his constant efforts to get a rise out of them. Can you not even understand that had Lennon done nothing, no such discussion would be taking place? He isn't smart enough to be the bigger man. When you're excusing his behaviour because Kyle fucking Laugherty did the same thing, don't you think you're lumping your manager in there with the idiots of professional football?

David makes a perfectly good point. Martin O'Neill wasn't exactly treated well in Scotland, but the excuse of Lennon being hated purely for being a Northern Irish Catholic only goes so far when you consider that in one year, he's incurred more wrath and hatred than O'Neill did during his entire tenure at Celtic Park. Personally, I couldn't give two hoots about where Lennon's from or what his religion is; I hate him because he's a cocky wee arsehole who manages my team's rivals.

Anyway, in an attempt to save the Scottish football thread I've retitled the religion thread to house all of this non-football related chatter, so discussions can take place there now.

In other news, did anyone happen to hear about the mighty Steelmens heroic antics at Tynecastle? 3-0 down with 55 minutes played, only to come racing back and get a point!

• Paid Members

I hate Neil Lennon because he is a Northern Irish catholic who played for and currently manages Celtic. In no way do I hate him because he is one of the most detestable, little wee cunts in Scottish football.

There, I admited it!

I hate Neil Lennon Craig Brown because he is a Northern Irish catholic (insert random religion here) who currently manages Celtic Aberdeen.

In no way do I hate him because he is one of the most detestable, little wee cunts in Scottish football.

There, I admitted it!

;)

Archived