Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

There was no domination though, round one was Guillards. Round 2 was close but i gave it to Gaethe. The only dominant round of the fight was round 3 which Gaethje won big.

Which ever way you score the fight there's no robbery here...in my mind the right man won.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

I wish Melvin Manhoef was 10 years younger with a solid chin and time to tighten up his grappling. Oh how I wish. If only time machines were a thing. I really believe he could have been a big star if timing worked out better. Not really an interesting talker but who gives a shit? Some guys don't need it and I think he'd be a big deal in a Mark Hunt type way. Except he's got a fucking superstar look and a cooler name. I'd have killed to see Manhoef in the UFC and fights with Wanderlei Silva, Nick Diaz, Bisping, Cung Le, rematch with Robbie Lawler, Condit, Matt Brown...fuck, I could go on and on. They'd all have been fantastic. I don't think I'd have favoured him against any of them except maybe Le and Wandy but fuck me they'd be fun to watch.

Love the bastard but I really don't want to see him getting KO'd anymore. As much as I still love watching him fight, I really hope he retires soon. You don't want to see anyone go on too long and Manhoef seems like such a cool guy, I'd hate to see him wind up all punchy and fucked up. Sadly, he strikes me as the type who will battle on into his 50s like Roberto Duran if the people around him can't save him from himself. I always remember that one post-fight interview he had in Cage Rage where Richard Blackwood of all people asked him how he felt and he just said - "I live for this shit". The man's a fighter through and through.

• Paid Members

Yeh i dont see Melvin going anywhere, for guy thats been KO'd so many time he's never changed his style either which kind of tells you all you need to know about his mentality. Skills-wise though he doesnt seem to be diminishing, for 38 he's still fucking dynamite.

Joe Schilling in MMA is an exciting prospect too, look forward to seeing how that pans out.

Also in Bellator, looks like the seeds are being sewn for Ortiz vs. King Mo.

And Rick Hawn has been cut, he's signed with Titan FC. Thought Coker might have kept Hawn on.

• Paid Members

Spoiler if you haven't seen Metamois 5 yet:

Didn't watch it but the results don't suggest I missed much. Never watched straight up BJJ before, but it's hard to be enticed into something where 5 of the 6 fights ended as 20 minute draws!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone catch ONE FC 23 yet? I'm about 3/4's the way through it so far, Mcsweeney/Gracie fight being pick of what I've seen so far, thoroughly entertaining match with two big guys just going for it. 

Hopefully Eurosport or someone else pick up the ONE FC deal sooner or later, wouldn't ever pay for Premier Sports, not even in HD!

Anyone else watch Invicta 10?

Was another fun card from Invicta. Even though they've lost a hell of a lot of talent they seems to still be churning out solid events. Highlights were Alexa Grasso. Who is only 21, but has a 6-0 record now. Her last two fights in Invicta have been really impressive. Definitely one I see UFC adding to there Strawweight division in the future. Especially with the push to put more fights in Mexico. But hope Invicta can keep hold off her for the time being. Grasso v Van Zant would be great I reckon. Modaferri overcame a tough young opponent in Andrea Lee (who impressed at Invicta 9) and Evinger picked up another submission win and seems to be on a bit of a tear at the moment. Can see her getting a title fight soon.

Shock off the night came when Tiburcio submitted Waterson in the third to win the Atomweight title. She put on a great performance tbh. Almost caught her at the end of the second as well. Not many people were expecting this. Hope this kind off opens Invicta/FIght Pass' eyes a bit. As the last few events have all been about Waterson and Honchak and there opponents haven't really been hyped or promoted at all. 

Edited by Ross18

• Paid Members

I completely forgot Invicta 10 was this week and saw the spoilers. I've missed the last couple of shows now.

Sounds like it was a pretty good card. Never heard of Herica Tiburcio before, to be honest. But I love it when someone bursts on the scene and shakes everything up like this. Reminds me of when JDS came in, supposedly as a tune up opponent for #1 contender Werdum, and sparked him. I like Waterson but it's pretty cool to see something like this. That division kind of needed shaking up. A rematch down the line could be just what the division needs if Waterson wins a few fights.

This picture is pretty cool as well;

B4KHmu0CAAAMRK-.jpg

Talk about contrasting emotions.

Just read as well that Alexander Shlemenko vs Melvin Manhoef is headlining the Feb 13th Bellator show! Get in.

I didn't see ONE FC, but I did like reading that James McSweeney lost to Roger Gracie....by TKO! Also good to read that Brandon Vera got a win.

I did watch Invicta 10, it was a really good show with a lot of fun fights. Alexa Grasso looks like a real talent and she has power that would test any ladies chin. Roxanne Modaferri didn't look good at all on TUF or her UFC fight but she's bounced back with two solid wins in Invicta. I thought she'd lose last night but she looked great. I still think Andrea Lee will have a bright future, she's a quality striker but just got outclassed by a better grappler last night. Tiburcio beating Michelle Waterson was a surprise, a welcome one though as the last couple of Invicta main events have been really one sided.

Invicta FC 10

Evva Johnson (125lbs, 1-0) vs. Rachel Ostovich (126lbs, 1-1) opened up the nights action. It was a decent fight; Ostovich controlled most of the first two rounds and much of the third, using wrestling and judo, though Johnson did almost get an armbar in the first round. Johnson managed to get Ostovich’s back with a couple of minutes to go in the third but couldn’t quite get anything done with it. Ostovich should get the nod having won the first two rounds, at least, with Johnson having likely won the third round. The scores are 29-28 for Johnson, 29-28 for Ostovich, and 29-28 for Ostovich. It was mildly funny to see the referee begin to raise Johnson’s arm when the scores were announced, before he realized which one was Ostovich.

Cassie Robb (105.25bs, 0-2) vs. Jinh Yu Frey (106.25lbs, 2-1) was a fairy short fight, only going 2:30, and it was acceptable with Robb being aggressive early, but Frey was just too much, with a cool looking finish as Frey got the back of Robb standing before ending things with a standing-then-falling rear naked choke.

Alida Gray (115lbs, 4-1) vs. Alexa Grasso (115.2lbs, 5-0) was another short fight, fairly exciting, ending with a slugfest with Gray getting dropped with a combination; Gray ended up on her hands and knees, covering up as Grasso landed punches to the side of the head, with the referee quickly stepping in to halt the fight. Gray wasn’t happy and you can certainly argue that it was a somewhat early stoppage, but the odds are good that the fight wasn’t going to last a whole lot longer anyway.

Andria Wawrio (147lbs, 3-1) vs. Peggy Morgan (145lbs, 2-2) was decent and showed that Morgan is at least beginning to learn how to fight long and use her reach. She still has a way to go in that regard, but her jabs, at least, are effective, peppering Wawrio with them for most of the fight. Morgan was able to get Wawrio pressed chest-first into the cage and land a series of punches and uppercuts, but Wawrio survived and escaped, in a fight that went the distance. Morgan won with scores of 30-27, 30-27 and 29-28. Not sure where Wawrio won a round, but it is Texas.

Deanna Bennett (125lbs, 5-0) vs. Jennifer Maia (124lbs, 9-3-1) was a good, all-action fight between two evenly matched fighters. Maia, I think, was the harder striker, and through some good knees as well, but Bennett was no slouch and more than held her own. It was close and could have gone either way, but the judges gave it to Bennet with scores of 30-27, 29-28 and 29-28. Bennett deserved the win as much as Maia, but the fight was a lot closer than the scores suggest.

Andrea Lee (125.5lbs, 2-0) vs. Roxanne Modafferi (125lbs, 15-11) was a great fight, a real battle. Lee took this fight on short notice but it didn’t show because she was putting in the effort for all fifteen-minutes that this fight lasted. Modafferi was the more skilled throughout, although Lee did have her in trouble on more than one occasion, including almost trapping Modafferi in an armbar. It went to a split decision, though, with 29-28 for Modafferi, 29-28 for Lee and 30-27 for Modafferi.

Cindy Dandois (135lbs, 5-1) vs. Tonya Evinger (134.75lbs, 14-5) was a fairly one-sided affair, with Evinger pretty much walking right through Dandois. Dandois did put up a fight and it wasn’t easy for Evinger, but Dandois was never in the fight at all. Of note was Leslie Smith providing commentary and coming off as nauseatingly arrogant.

Michelle Waterson © (105lbs, 12-3) vs. Herica Tiburcio (105lbs, 8-2) was the main event of the evening as ‘The Karate Hottie’ defended the Invicta Atomweight title. This fight was fantastic and is definitely one worth going out of your way to see. Tiburcio, who was making her Invicta FC debut, was a late replacement but she brought the fight to Waterson and then some in what turned into a very evenly matched war. We had a lot of great ground work, lots of scrambles and some awesome reversals and escapes. This fight could have gone either way and both women seemed to have the match won at various points but in the end, after another scramble, Tiburcio managed to catch Waterson in a guillotine choke and get the submission to win her debut and claim the Invicta FC Atomweight title. This is a fight you absolutely need to watch and it’s going to be very high up in my voting for Fight of the Year.

Not the greatest of shows but no show with a main even that good should get anything less than a big thumbs up.

• Paid Members

Caught the main card of BAMMA 17 last night, only 3 fights shown but it was decent little watch if you've got an hour to kill. BAMMA's growth has slowed rapidly, this show took place in a small venue in Manchester, probably no more than a few hundred fans in attendance, big change from the days when they were running big arena's, better a full small venue than a half empty big one though in my opinion.

Freakshow Fletcher had an entertaining little main event against Michael Brightmon, Freakshow's cardio and durabilty won through cause Brightmon shot his wad looking for an early KO, Freakshow is basically BAMMA's marquee fighter at the moment.

Oli Thompson got KO'd with the faintest right hand i've ever seen, he was caught at the end of a scramble but it put the lights out, strange KO. Thompson's career has gone down the shitter since he left the UFC.

Martin Stapleton won quick against some French dude in the other fight in his BAMMA debut after a disastrous Bellator run.

Quick note, the commentary team of Frank Trigg and the English guy who's name i always forgot (been on the MMA scene for years) was piss poor, no chemistry there at all. I've sat on the fence with Trigg in the past as a commentator, but im off it now, he fucking sucks.

Not a bad way to kill an hour though, i don't even think BAMMA have a TV deal now, think their shows just run through their website, though i might be wrong on that.

• Paid Members

I never even know when BAMMA is on any more. Probably wouldn't end up watching though if I'm being honest. I like Freakshow but with BAMMA not having a TV deal now, I'm just too lazy to torrent stuff and I'm not always around to stream shows live. When BAMMA was on Five I never missed a show because it was piss easy to just Sky+ it and watch whenever. At least I can watch Bellator that way now. It'll make it a lot easier for me to keep up. I know downloading shit is simple enough but I can't be arsed. My MMA torrenting days are pretty much over. There's just not enough hours in the day anymore. My Sky+ is backed up with shit I've not got around to watching, if I was downloading MMA as well it'd probably be the same and mostly just sit on my laptop for ages.

I'll have to track down that Waterson vs Tiburcio fight from Invicta though, after Noah's glowing review.

• Paid Members

ahhh, id be lost without the torrents :) I know it's being petty but when it comes to things like Bellator, but i'd rather have the US broadcast than the edited UK version.

With boxing even more so, if there's a HBO boxing card being shown on Boxnation, i'll hunt down the HBO broadcast (which isnt hard) rather than watch the god awful Boxnation feeds, not only does Steve Bunce kill all the dead air time with his late night babbling but you have to listen to the piped in commentary of Dave VanTemple or Colonel Bob Sheridan, i know it's better than nothing, but fuck that if i can help it.

• Paid Members

Oh definitely. I prefer HBO's coverage to Box Nation's. The commentary, the picture quality, the overall presentation of the shows all looks better to me. Bob Sheridan is fucking terrible. I'm sure it was Mayweather vs Cotto on Box Nation where him and some other bloke were so shit calling the fight that it became distracting. I remember a few of us moaning on here the next day about it. I don't know how he's got work over the years.

In the end though, I take the hit on that stuff in exchange for the convenience of just hitting record on the remote. Lazy bastard, I know.