Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Kinda going unnoticed but Linton Vassell has a chance to become the first Brit to win a title in a major US promotiom this friday, he's fighting Emmanuel Newton in Bellator for the 205lb strap.

Vassell is a former UCMMA champ, he's 3-0 in Bellator. Hes basically taking advantage of the weird post-tourney situation they are in where the viable contenders are injured or dont want to fight Newton so Vassell gets his chance.

Pretty big deal for UK MMA if you ask me.

Bellator 130 is on deck so let's get to it

Dave Jansen (156lbs, 19-2) vs. Rick Hawn (156lbs, 18-3) kicked things off, going all three rounds, and it consisted almost entirely of Jansen landing leg kicks at will and Hawn being unable to block or defend them. There really wasn’t a whole let else to the fight than that, so it was rather one-dimensional and not too exciting as a result. Jansen got the nod 30-27, 30-27 and 29-28. Whoever gave Hawn a round should be fired on the spot and never judge again; he never came close to winning a round. There isn’t even a debate over who won each round.

Annalisa Bucci (145.2lbs, 7-3)vs. Marloes Coenen (145.9lbs, 21-6) was next and is part of Bellator’s introduction of the women’s Featherweight division. The first two rounds were pretty poor because Bucci was content to hold on to Coenen and just neutralize her rather than counter her; Coenen controlled the action when it occurred, though, but she didn’t really dominate or look as strong as most expected her to. The third round saw Coenen take Bucci down quickly again, and despite being on Bucci’s side, Coenen managed to grab modified rear naked choke and get the tap out at 57-seconds of round three. This fight was pretty poor and you can blame virtually all of that on Bucci.

Karl Etherington (258lbs, 9-0) vs. Bobby Lashley (247.1lbs, 11-2) saw the heralded if aged 38-year-old Etherington, take on the almost as old Lashley, who is 38. Etherington had something of a buzz going into this fight because all of his nine victories came in the first round; although none of his opponents had any kind of name or were anybody of note, nine first round wins in a row is noting to take too lightly. In any event, he was considered a real test for Lashley after Lashley was given a can last time out. As it turned out, Etherington was pure hype; when a slip saw him end up on his stomach, instead of scrambling or moving around or otherwise trying to defend, he immediately turtled up and he couldn’t put his hands over his head fast enough. Etherington didn’t try a single thing to get back up and totally flaked out when put in trouble. Lashley pounded him with punches and the referee stepped in to stop it at 1:33.

Emanuel Newton © (204.1lbs, 24-7-1) vs. Linton Vassell (204.5lbs, 14-3) was the main event of the evening and saw Newton defend the Light Heavyweight title against the British Vassell. The first two rounds were very dramatic as Vassell surprisingly dominated Newton and countered him in every area, controlling him on the ground, going for submissions constantly, and at one point in the second round when Vassell got a kimura on Newton, Newton had his hand ready to tap but managed to escape. The third round was a lot closer and could have gone either way. The fourth round saw Newton take Vassell down almost right away, against the advice of his corner, but Newton controlled Vassell against the ground and easily took the round; going into the fourth, I had it 39-37 in favour of Vassell but the third round was close enough that it could be 38-38 so it was all to play for heading into the fifth. Newton took Vassell down right away again and this time, Newton managed to get the rear naked choke and despite not having the hooks in, Newton had the hold firmly applied and Vassell was forced to tap out and Newton gets the come from behind victory. Newton remains the champion but Vassell puts his name on the map with a great performance, even in defeat. Overall, this was a good fight but mostly because the first two rounds were so dramatic with Vassell dominating Newton. Once Newton took control, the fight slowed to a crawl as he was content to ride Vassell out and would have done so again in the fifth had the choke not presented itself.

Overall, this was a pretty lacklustre show; outside of the first two rounds of the main event, there wasn’t a lot of quality on display. The only standout of the night was the performance of Linton Vassell in the first two rounds against Emanuel Newton because despite Newton being mid-level, I don’t think many people expected the relatively unknown Vassell to come in and dominate Newton like he did, and despite Newton being mid-level, Vassell, I think, made something of a name for himself tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Invicta goes on the road for the first time for their ninth outing and we’ll see if Invicta keep up their run of what have been, for the most part, very entertaining events

Maegan Goodwin (139lbs, 0-0) vs. Kelly McGill (136lbs, 1-0) kick things off and it was a competent fight, but nothing outstanding, which is perhaps not a surprise given the lack of experience of both fighters; Goodwin was making her pro debut after an unbeaten amateur career. The only real highlight of the fight was part-way in the third round when McGill was in side-control and landed elbows; McGill managed to open up a nasty cut along the side of the head of Goodwin, in her hair, and Goodwin was bleeding profusely, and it would have looked far worse had Goodwin’s hair not prevent the blood from really gushing out, the cut was that bad. Goodwin’s head was practically covered in blood by the end, though her face wasn’t too bad, a result of the cut being where it was. McGill gets the nod 30-27, 2-28 and 29-28, which is the right call, even though neither woman did a whole lot of damage, the cut to Goodwin notwithstanding. McGill showed a lot of promise, Goodwin showed decent promise, so I’d keep an eye out for these two down the line.

Jamie Moyle (115lbs, 0-0) vs. Jenny Liou Shriver (116lbs, 2-0) saw Moyle making her pro debut which apparently had some anticipation behind it, and you saw why with Moyle having a fairly dominant performance, having Shriver in trouble for virtually the entire fight. Moyle showed good striking and footwork, along a decent clinch game. The only trouble Moye was in came mid-way through the third round when Shriver almost had her in an inverted triangle and then a series of leglocks later in the round, but in between those, and for the fight as a whole, Shriver was very much playing defence as Moyle was doing a great job of dishing out a methodical beating. Moyle even went to the ground and almost had Shriver done with an armbar, and it was in trying to get out of this that Shriver ended up in a position to go for leglocks late on, but this was Moyle’s night and she took the fight 30-27 on all three scorecards.

Andrea Lee (125lbs, 1-0) vs. Shannon Sinn (125lbs, 1-1) was the third fight of the evening; the first round saw Lee school and tool Sinn for virtually the entire round after knocking her on her ass with a punch. Lee, whose background is in Muay Thai, surprised everyone by proceeding to control Sinn on the ground, going for various submissions including the always impressive reverse triangle choke, which she actually got, and the Masahiro Chono butterfly lock, but either Sinn was able to escape or Lee let her go to maintain control. In the second round, the pace slowed and Lee seemed content slowly pick Sinn apart with strikes to the body, including knees, and not try anything that would leave her open to a counter. The third round was very similar so it meant the fight fell off a cliff after the first round as it was clear that Lee had taken her foot off the peddle and was either unable or unwilling to really pour it on and go for a big finish. In any event, Lee takes the decision with 30-27 on all three scorecards.

Maria Hougarrd-Djursaa (149lbs, 5-5) vs. Amanda Bell (146lbs, 2-2) was a totally one-sided battering with Bell the one swinging the hammer. She rocked Hougarrd-Djursaa with punches early in the first round and never really let up; whether it was through standing strikes or ground strikes, Bell was lighting Hougarrd-Djursaa up like she was a joint. Hougarrd-Djursaa can take a punch that’s for sure but she showed no real defence, instead always looking to escape from under Bell. Trouble was that left her open to a relentless barrage of punches and whilst Hougarrd-Djursaa could take them, the referee wasn’t going to let her take them forever and with just one second left in the round, the referee stepped in and called a stop to the fight. Hougarrd-Djursaa looked like she didn’t even belong on a fly-by-night show; whoever she’s defeated must be terrible beyond belief.

Liz McCarthy (105lbs, 2-1) vs. Amber Brown (106lbs, 3-1) was a very competitive battle with a second round that was notable for McCarthy getting a cut above the eye almost right away, from a knee, and bleeding to a degree that was on par, at least, with the Maegan Goodwin cut from earlier in the night and made this easily the bloodiest MMA PPV in recent memory; Cain’s slaughter of Bigfoot the first time was perhaps bloodier than either of these individually, but together, I can’t recall a bloodier night of action. And the fight was very good as well; McCarthy dominated the first round, looking good standing, but Brown came back in the second, helped greatly by her busting McCarthy wide open. The third round saw the pace slow down a little but the fight remained competitive and it turned into quite the good scrap and is definitely worth watching, if only for the bloodshed. Brown gets the nod via split decision with scores of 30-27, 29-28 and 28-29. Unfortunately, the curse of dodgy judging strikes Invicta because no way does Brown get the first round.

Jodie Esquibel (105lbs, 4-1) vs Nicdali Rivera-Calanoc (105lbs, 8-7) was a fairly one-sided but rather uneventful fight. Esquibel dominated the action for all three rounds, save for a guillotine choke that Rivera-Calanoc managed to apply in the final fifteen seconds of the third round. There were few real highlights as it was almost entirely Esquibel using footwork and movement to punch Rivera-Calanoc at will, Esquibel throwing in a few fancy kicks here and there for good measure.

Raquel Pa’Aluhi (145lbs, 3-4) vs. Kaitlin Young (145lbs, 7-8-1) was another good, competitive fight. The first round was clearly Young’s who used superior movement and speed to tag Pa’Aluhi whilst avoid much of what Pa’Aluhi threw in return, and it looked like Young was simply going to outwork her opponent. The second round dispelled that notion because a combination of Pa’Aluhi getting her timing down and Young simply fading saw Pa’Aluhi get back into the fight, starting to land more of her strikes, and she was clearly the harder hitter, as well as take Young down and keep working for submissions, which Young did well to defend against but it was clear Young was just trying to hang in there. The third round was more of the same with Young on defence almost the entire time and Young had clearly either gassed out or had lost heart from not being able to finish Pa’Aluhi early. In any event, Pa’Aluhi delivered methodical punishment, either on the fight or on the ground, and she should take this fight, which she does on scorecards of 29-28 across the board. Not bad for taking this fight on one week’s notice.

Karolina Kowalkiewicz (115lbs,5-0) vs. Mizuki Inoue (115lbs, 8-2) was the co-main event of the evening and for fifteen minutes, the action was delivered at a fast and consistent pace. Kowalkiewicz edged the first round, Inoue the second, and the third was very close with both women looking comparable so it came down to luck as to who would get the nod. In the end, it was Kowalkiewicz who got the nod via split decision, with scores of 29-28, 29-28 and 28-29. A tough break for Inoue but that third round was so close that it could have gone either way.

Barb Honchak © (125lbs, 9-2) vs. Takayo Hashi (125lbs, 15-4) was the main event of the evening for the Invicta FC Flyweight title. The first round was pretty mundane, consisting of Honchak clinching with Hashi and pressing her against the cage. The second round was, outside of an early inside leg kick from Honchak that spin Hashi around and knocked her off-balance, the same as the first with Honchak pressing Hashi agains the cage and making sure to keep here there. The third was more of the same, outside of late on when Hashi managed to take Honchak down, but not for too long. The fourth round was the same, the fifth round was the same, and this fight turned into a repetitious borefest with intermittent moments of action, and ended the night on a pretty dour note. Honchak won with scores of 50-45, 50-45 and 49-46 but this is a fight where the winner didn’t come out of it very well because she did nothing but neutralize her opponent and in a manner where she didn’t allow much to neutralize to begin with.

Invicta FC 9 was a decent night of action but you can turn off after the co-main event.

• Paid Members

Overall, this was a pretty lacklustre show; outside of the first two rounds of the main event, there wasn’t a lot of quality on display. The only standout of the night was the performance of Linton Vassell in the first two rounds against Emanuel Newton because despite Newton being mid-level, I don’t think many people expected the relatively unknown Vassell to come in and dominate Newton like he did, and despite Newton being mid-level, Vassell, I think, made something of a name for himself tonight.

bit slow talking about this but i agree that Vassell really did announce himself to the MMA community with the fight, it was really shaping up to be a fight of the year type contender for two rounds before Newton took over, but it was still an excellent title fight.

As for Newton being mid-level, i'm not so sure about that. Newton is so unorthodox that it's hard to really guage how good he is. It's a case of all depending on how specific opponents adapt to his style. I'm pretty certain that Newton could give several of the top 10 205lb'ers in the UFC fit purely based on the fact that he's so fucking awkward to fight.

Which top 205'ers would Newton trouble or give fits to?

As of a week ago, the official UFC top 10 205'ers were:

Jon Jones
Alexander Gustafsson
Daniel Cormier
Anthony Johnson
Rashad Evans
Phil Davis
Glover Teixeira
Dan Henderson
Ryan Bader
Mauricio Rua

Of those names, he might trouble Henderson and Rua and that's about it. Newton has shown me absolutely nothing to suggest he'd give any top 205'er in the UFC serious trouble. He's got decent striking that gets overrated because of his spinning backfirst, which is about the only major weapon he has. His wrestling is good but not great; Bader is probably better and Davis certainly is. And he isn't taking down Johnson, who would hammer the hell out of him standing up. Newton got way overblown after KO'ing King Mo.

• Paid Members

again, it's more to do with his style, it almost looks like he doesn't know what he'd doing out there but it's all calculated. He's also shown a capability to adapt and find a way to win in fights where things aren't going his way, the guy's a fucking handful and i stand by my view :D

i disagree that the hype got overblown also, the only things i read after Newton fucked him up was 'Mo is overrated', the second win over Mo was more impressive than the first.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

anyway's fuck it...Glory returns tonight after a bit of an absence:

321px-Glory_18_Oklahoma_poster.jpg

• Robin van Roosmalen (NLD) vs. Davit Kiria (GEO)

Co-Main Event:

• Jason Wilnis (NLD) vs. Wayne Barrett (USA)

Light Heavyweight Contender Tournament:

• Danyo Ilunga (GER) vs. Saulo Cavalari (BRA)
  • Brian Collette (USA) vs. Zack Mwekassa (CON)

It air's on BT Sports live at 2am, BT is also showing the top 20 KO's in Glory history beforehand from 1am so set your planner.

Again, if the names on the card don't mean much to you, don't worry, just tune in and enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkDibwkuC1I

there's a trailer for the main event

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

Oh fuck! I forgot all about GLORY tonight. Thanks for reminding me, I'll get that Sky+'d now.

Van Roosmalen vs Kiria should be fucking quality.

Zack Mwekassa is the ex pro boxer guy who's built like a Hasbro and knocked Pat Barry out cold earlier this year.

Just watch it if you've never seen GLORY. I don't think I've seen a crap show yet. There's usually always at least one fight or finish that makes you glad you tuned in. And the commentary and production is always top notch.

It's been too long since the last show. I'm actually a bit worried about GLORY. I read recently that they let Tyrone Spong, Gokhan Saki and Joe Schilling's contracts lapse. Considering they're three of GLORY's top guys that's very odd. That's why Schilling's taken the Bellator offer, because GLORY were dragging their feet on sorting his deal out. Hopefully it's just a stutter step and they'll sort it all out.

So Melvin Guillard has failed to make weight for his WSOF title fight tomorrow so it is now a non title 3 round fight, sucks for WSOF as this is certainly the fight that I was most interested in.

MAIN CARD WEIGH IN RESULTS

• Dave Branch (184) vs. Yushin Okami (183) – for middleweight title
  • Justin Gaethje (154.8) vs. Melvin Guillard (158.8) – 159-pound catchweight
  • Jessica Aguilar (115) vs. Kalindra Faria (114.8) – for women’s strawweight title
  • Eric Reynolds (155.4) vs. Jorge Patino (154)

• Paid Members

Fucking Guillard. All week hes been rabbiting on in the press that he's an A-Level fighter fighting a B-Level champion then he doesnt even make the weight (2nd time in a row), what a joke. I hope Gaethje smashes him.

• Paid Members

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/11/14/7222305/video-preview-of-tito-ortizs-crazy-bellator-131-walk-out

Bellator are revamping their show from this weekend on, its the first show in which Coker says hes really put his stamp on...the link above shows a test run of Tito's entrance, it looks pretty cool.

I read a piece somewhere earlier detailing more of Cokers plans for Bellator next year, it sounds great.

Fucking hell, it makes me glad of UFC's entrances. It's so pro-wrestling.

Though I guess that's apt for this fight.

Has anyone seen the latest shit from this pair of twats? Tito is now saying that Bonnar's new head coach for this fight is a plant, and that he's been feeding Tito information. So shit.