Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

14 was decent.

The Askren/Thomas submission was ridiculous. I can see what the ref was saying, but i can't remember another time a fight has been waved off like that, nuts. It was looking to be a good scrap too, Thomas looked dangerous from the bottom. Can't really say much for Askren at this point, wrestling looks great as expected, submissions are there too, but this was abit of a non-fight.

Pat Curran's right hand was a nice way to start the night too, stiff little punch.

At this point i dont see Huerta having much trouble taking home the 155 tourney though.

Next week's show is gonna be a cracker.

• Paid Members
14 was decent.

The Askren/Thomas submission was ridiculous. I can see what the ref was saying, but i can't remember another time a fight has been waved off like that, nuts. It was looking to be a good scrap too, Thomas looked dangerous from the bottom. Can't really say much for Askren at this point, wrestling looks great as expected, submissions are there too, but this was abit of a non-fight.

Pat Curran's right hand was a nice way to start the night too, stiff little punch.

At this point i dont see Huerta having much trouble taking home the 155 tourney though.

Next week's show is gonna be a cracker.

The season hasn't really clicked into gear and started producing fights as good as we saw during season one, but to be fair, it's still early days.

Re: the Thomas stoppage, I don't think it was that bad a call. Ryan's face turned purple and he did look out just as the ref called it off, and I'm sure the fighter and his corner will at least understand the ref's point of view.

Now if he had just done what I think Herb Dean did a few weeks back and lifted the arm to see if the fighter in peril was able to Hulk up, then there wouldn't have been an issue. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Oh, and in keeping with the Hendo mockery from the Strikeforce thread, LOL x 1,000,000 at Huerta. After appearing on the cover of Sports Illustrated, and having a few good fights, he got really big headed and asked UFC for pay-per-view share deals (which only a select few fighters have, and this despite Huerta never headlining a pay-per-view and not having proven any kind of drawing credentials). Now he's working for Bellator probably making a lot less than what he'd have made had he just stuck in UFC. Tool.

Edited by MoChatra

• Paid Members

Bellator aint having much luck...

Jimmy Wallhead is out this week cause of this plane thing, shame cause i was looking forward to seeing him. Ryan Thomas is back in though, nice little gesture after last weeks poor call.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Tonight's Bellator 16 lineup.

MAIN CARD

Middleweight Tournament Opening Round

Bryan Baker vs. Sean Loeffler (middleweight tourney opening round)

Alexander Shlemenko vs. Matt Major (middleweight tourney opening round)

Ryan McGivern vs. Jared Hess (middleweight tourney opening round)

Eric Schambari vs. Luke Zachrich (middleweight tourney opening round)

PRELIMINARY CARD

Rudy Bears vs. Brent Weedman

Brian Davidson vs. Danny Tims

Demi Deeds vs. Eric Marriott

Drew Dober vs. Nick Nolte

• Paid Members

caught up on 15 this evening, an evening of quick finishes and a decent main event.

it really feels like the better fighters are weeding out the poorer ones at the moment, i expect the semi-finals to be considerably better.

• Paid Members

16 was fairly lacklustre too :( Bellator hasn't really delivered like i expected but now the first rounds are out of the way, it's time for the Superfights and Semi-Finals, should make for some much better matchups.

Thursday has this:

* Champ Eddie Alvarez vs. Josh Neer (non-title fight)

* Pat Curran vs. Roger Huerta (lightweight tourney semifinal)

* Toby Imada vs. Carey Vanier (lightweight tourney semifinal)

* Pat Bennett vs. Cole Konrad

nice! Konrad is one of them hot prospect type heavyweights, training partner of Brock Lesnar. Alvarez/Neer should be a good one.

I expect a Huerta/Vanier final.

• Paid Members

Bellator 17 was easily the best of the series so far, the first hour (3 fights) were all very good.

Of course the big news is that Pat Curran upset Roger Huerta, it was fully deserved too, i think it could have been a case of Huerta completely underestimating Curran, but whatever, Curran did a great job. Huerta just seemed to lack that urgency he sometimes has, and when he did try coming forward he was beaten the punch by Curran. Big upset, Curran might be the surprise package of the series.

Imada/Vanier was excellent. Toby Imada is well known because of that submission, but the guy deserves all the credit he gets. One of those guys that will take a few to apply a submission, he talk some licks in this one but just kept plugging away and caught Vanier in the end. Vanier looks a decent prospect too. Vanier/Curran final.

Eddie Alvarez proved why he's one of the top 155 fighters in the world, he just dominated Josh Neer, mixing striking with grappling seamlessly, great performance, Neer just didn't have chance to get off. Alvarez is the man!

So much for Cole Conrad. Bellator were probably happy to have such a hot prospect sign with them, they put him in the top slot of this card, but to be honest as soon as i saw Conrad sporting the best pair of bitch tits ive ever seen in MMA i knew this wasn't gonna be great. Conrad is obviously an awesome wrestler so to see the guy appear in such horrible physical shape was strange. That said for a round he looked ok, got the takedown good top control and some decent ground and pound, rounds 2 & 3 need to be erased from memory, 2 stupidly tired heavyweight throwing one shot every 30 seonds, it was painful viewing. It's hard to be too hard on Conrad as it was only his 3rd fight, and if he can get his cardio in order he's going to be a force (based on his one very good tool), but this had no business being on a televised card.

Other than that it was a very good little show.

this week has:

Hector Lombard vs Paulo Filho

Georgi Karakhanyan vs Joe Warren

Patricio Freire vs Wilson Reis

the main event and Pitbull/Reis are gonna be excellent.

Has there been any word on Filho yet? I mean is he in the country? Is he healthy? Does Bellator have a back up plan in case he no shows?

I hope he is in top form as he is another one of my favourites and it's just such a waste of potential the way he's going.

• Paid Members

was thinking the same thing myself, i aint heard/read shit about him in months.

last i heard was when he no showed a show in Japan and had a Mike Tyson style face tattoo.

Lombard vs Jay Silva

I honestly think it's time Lombard gets talked about as one of the top 185'ers in the world. The guys fights regular and is just smashing everybody. That combination was lightning fast.

To be fair he's not really fighting any decent competition, I think if he went to the UFc he would have to drop to 170 as I think he's a little undersized. He shows skills but he is'nt really taking on top level guys. I would love to see Bellator and Strikeforce doing co-promoted shows. Just off the top of my head you have Melendez - Alvarez, Diaz - Hornbuckle (if he wins the tournament and beats Lyman Good) and Jacare - Lombard (if Shields joins the UFC)

Im picking Patricio