Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
my initial reaction was that Mo became too confident in his boxing and got caught, but on reflection it was probably just a case of getting hit with a great shot. It does look like Mo has completely abandoned the offensive wrestling to focus on his standup and up until the freaky backfist he was doing a good job and i have no doubts that he would have got Newton out of there within 2 rounds.

Newton just threw a pot shot backfist and it landed, fair play to him.

Mo's reaction afterwards was very positive, he'll be back.

Have to disagree partially there EBB.

nah i hear you. I'm torn on it. On one hand you can look at it as Mo being so confident that a guy like Newton can't take him down he's content to stand there and try and box, and look very relaxed whilst doing it. The problem with Mo's approach is that it's a full on boxing approach, that shoulder roll style isn't really designed to cater for kicks, spinning backfists and all the unorthodox stuff an MMA striker can throw at you...of course it's a case of adapting it within an MMA style and Mo probably thought against an opponent like Newton he could take the chance to try and put it to practice, he got caught but that's the name of the game.

As for walking before he can run, it's not really our place to say that, when Mo has one of the best boxing coaches in the world in his corner i like to think Mo's standup is at the point where he's good enought to be putting it into practice.

Good post, but

He does have one the the best coaches, but he has only been training with him for a few months. It could take a good while for Mo to develop the style of boxing he is learning and adapting it to MMA is going to be hard for reasons you mentioned. He is a fast learner, but he is not superman.

I agree he is forgetting about his bread and butter of wrestling, I let him of in the Gracie fight as he had to keep that standing due to the sub threat. Larkin just a year ago he showed he has brutal GnP with how he smothered his way to victory. The last two fights have been all about the boxing though. Against two guys who are sluggers, it may not have been the best idea. Why give your opponent a chance?

I hope he uses his wrestling in his next few bouts and showcases his boxing again when he is the finished product.

• Paid Members
Is the guy in Ebb's sig any good? I wikipedia'd him and he has had about 60 fights and is only in his mid 20s! Is he UFC caliber?

Yeh, Shlemenko is quality, i don't know if he'd be top level UFC but he'd definitely fit nicely into the division. He's like the new leader of Russian MMA now the Emelianenko Brothers have gone, he's the head coach of most of the Russians that fight in Bellator and they all seem to worship the guy.

Style wise, proper no-emotion Russian, very aggressive and throws a ridiculous amount of spinning attacks. He's great to watch.

• Paid Members

good show again this until the main event.

205 has been Bellator's problem division, you'd have thought by adding Babalu and King Mo this year the scene was set to spice that shit up, but both got KO'd through the tournament and now to cap it the title fight between M'Pumbu & Vegh was a bit of a stinker. M'Pumbu's legitimacy has been questioned since he got owned by Travis Wiuff but he had a chance here to make abit of a statement and he flunked it, it was certainly not a champion's performance. I don't think he showed any kind of urgency until half way through the fifth round and that only lasted a minute...strange performance in a dull fight. Vegh's clearly capable of having exciting fights, this was just a clash of styles but it didn't scream to the fans that you need to be watching the Bellator 205lb Champion.

Ed West entered another entry into the KO of the year club with an awesome high left swich kick that knocked Josh Montoya out cold, Montoya was sprawled out like Jeses on the cross on the canvas, devastating KO.

David Rickels finally impressed me at 155, he sort of lumbers around and doesn't have the speed of othre 155lber's but he gradually broke Jason Fischer down and broke him. Rickels won me over but there's never any doubting his willingness to throwdown, which is why the tournament final should be great.

I said it'd be Will Brooks, i was wrong. Saad Awad just blasted through him like he did through DeLorenzi in the quarterfinals...fuck knows how Awad will cope if it goes past a minute ha.

Quick stat, 6 of Saad Awad's last 7 wins have come in under 71 seconds, dude don't fuck around.

• Paid Members

92 was another good one with a few talking points for me:

* Frodo Khasbulaev is a fucking animal at 145, he's my kind of fighter, lots of aggression and just throws punches from everywhere, whatever position he found himself in he was trying to damage from it. He basically made a hard nosed veteran in Sandro quit, Marlon clearly didn't wanna come out for round 3 and Frodo quickly despatched of him after that.

I see Khasbulaev ruining Mike Richman.

Frodo may be my new favorite Russian, a right weird looking little fucker but he's nails.

* Marshall/Aliev is a fight every MMA should watch and try scoring. It's very rare that you get a 30-27 on one side and 29-28 on the other two scorecards leaning the other way. I scored it for Aliev, rounds 1 & 3 consisted of him pretty much holding Marshall down, he landed little of note but was dominating the round from a positioning standpoint, round 2 stayed on the feet mostly, not a lot happened but Marshall was definitely the aggressor. Doug Marshall clearly frustrated clearly thought he'd lost the fight at the final bell, when he was awarded the decision he reacted like he'd won the lottery. It's a weird one, Marshall was the man looking to finish the fight without doubt, but he was dominated for many portions of the fight, it wasn't pretty but i dont think you could argue that he wasn't winning. Still, for me, the guy i wanted to win won the fight.

* If your gonna make a 'best comeback' dvd of the year include Brett Cooper's comeback over Dan Cramer. On the recieving end of a beating for two rounds and going into round 3 clearly 20-18 down, he KO'd Cramer in a gutsy as hell performance, this was abit of a war. Both guys a good value and Dan Cramer's been one of the surprises of the tournament for me, he lost but that dude's a f'n scrapper.

No show this week, there's a road to the championship special on instead.

Frodo Khasbulaev is a fucking animal at 145, he's my kind of fighter, lots of aggression and just throws punches from everywhere, whatever position he found himself in he was trying to damage from it. He basically made a hard nosed veteran in Sandro quit, Marlon clearly didn't wanna come out for round 3 and Frodo quickly despatched of him after that.

His reaction to the low blow was hilarious. Loud moans of pain for 5 minutes straight. Funny shit. The only thing that soured me on him was doing the scummy "sly punch after touching gloves" at the start of Round 3. Cheap shot, and even worse considering Sandro was clearly done even before the round had started.

How stupid was Bezerra in the first fight? Round 1, he absolutley destroyed Richman on the ground. So what does he do in Round 2? Tries to box with him, and gets completley outclassed from bell to bell, therefore gassing him out, and not being able to do much in the 3rd, and loses the fight. Crazy.

Aliev got screwed, I thought. Round 1 was clearly his. Round 2 Aliev got rocked with a kick, so can see how he lost that round. But giving Marshall that last round is VERY harsh on Aliev. I just skimmed back through that last round, and nearly all of it is Aliev on top, controlling Marshall, and Marshall being pissed off.

Frodo Khasbulaev is a fucking animal at 145, he's my kind of fighter, lots of aggression and just throws punches from everywhere, whatever position he found himself in he was trying to damage from it. He basically made a hard nosed veteran in Sandro quit, Marlon clearly didn't wanna come out for round 3 and Frodo quickly despatched of him after that.

His reaction to the low blow was hilarious. Loud moans of pain for 5 minutes straight. Funny shit. The only thing that soured me on him was doing the scummy "sly punch after touching gloves" at the start of Round 3. Cheap shot, and even worse considering Sandro was clearly done even before the round had started.

That also led to me removing the benefit of the doubt on his post-bell punch in the first round. He just came across as a shitty little cheat.

• Paid Members
Aliev got screwed, I thought. Round 1 was clearly his. Round 2 Aliev got rocked with a kick, so can see how he lost that round. But giving Marshall that last round is VERY harsh on Aliev. I just skimmed back through that last round, and nearly all of it is Aliev on top, controlling Marshall, and Marshall being pissed off.

yeh, apart from Marshall landing one of the hardest ground and pound strikes ive ever seen in my life literally in the last second of the fight that's all that happened.

I forgot about Frodo's dodgy jab, sly move but i'll let him off cause he's awesome...the groin shot was all sorts of weird though, i got the impression that John McCarthey thought he was bullshitting, how dare he question Frodo!

a nice HD highlight reel of the show for those that aint seen it.

• Paid Members

for anyone who likes a bit of an old vs. new type fight, Bellator have announced a Rick Hawn/Karo Parisyan fight for Bellator 95, one of MMA first succesful Judo based fighters against one MMA's best new judo based fighters.

Hawn must be moving back to 170.

Everytime i see a new Parisyan fight announced i hope he'll roll back the years and im doing so again here...Looking forward to that

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

bellator-mma-93.jpg

this is tonight, i like the main card:

Marcin Held vs. Dave Jansen

Marcus Davis vs. Waachiim Spiritwolf

Travis Wiuff vs. Ryan Martinez

because the Prindle/Rodgers fight dropped off im hoping they move Michael Page up, there's been no confirmation but i think they'd be stupid not too, that guy needs to be showcased.

I hope Davis is up for a war with Spiritwolf too cause that thing could be insane. Davis was always a favorite of mine in the UFC so it's nice to see him pop up on a big show, maybe he'll take a run at the tournament?

• Paid Members

After a good start of keeping up, I've fallen behind on Bellator again. I didn't even know they'd signed Marcus Davis. Anyone seen him fight recently? I haven't seen him since his MFC stint a year or two ago. If he's still decent him and Spiritwolf could be good.

And fuck me, does a Prindle fight ever go off without a hitch?

I like the sound of Parisyan vs Hawn in theory but can't help thinking Karo's getting beat down. Hawn is like the updated, new and improved version of Karo Parisyan. Sadly I really think Parisyan is shot as a serious fighter. He's had a couple of quick wins recently but they were against nobodies. Just looked up their records - Edward Darby was 0-1 at the time (he's fucking 0-7 now!) and Tiger Bonds was making his debut and hasn't fought since.

To go from that to Rick Hawn is some jump and I really think Karo's done. I hope he proves me wrong because he was one of my favourites when I first started watching.

• Paid Members

yeh, i think it'a showcase for Hawn more than anything.

I aint seen Davis fight since he fought Pete Spratt, he's picked up a few decent wins since his UFC days though, who knows what's left in the tank?