Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

WSOF never really showed up online after the weekend so i didn't get to see it. There was a Russian version of the event knocking about but i couldn't be dealing with that. It appears Jon Fitch went about his business though and put on abit of a classic Fitch performance.

Shouldn't have a problem with this one showing up online though...

iJjGqA1.jpg

Brandon Halsey vs Rafael Carvalho - Vacant Middleweight Title

Michael Page vs. Charlie Ontiveros

Brendan Ward vs. Dennis Olson

Isao Kobayashi v.s Goiti Yamauchi

This show lost it's main event with Dantas/Galvao 2 dropping off. Vacant middleweight title fight on top now though, Halsey trying to reclaim the belt he lost on the scales before he fought Kendall Groves. Absolute tank of a middleweight.

Michael Page and Brennan Ward are two of Bellator's must-see fighters, guaranteed craziness. Not quite sure what the hold up is with Michael Page though, he's been in Bellator over 2 and a half years, he's 4-0 in the promotion, yet he doesn't seem to be moving up. Im thinking this may be a final showcase before they put him on against a 'name' on another of the flag pole events. It's cool seeing him wax a no hoper but i wanna see him take on some better opposition.

• Paid Members

Crazy going's on in the Bellator cage last weekend.

The undercard was a showcase for some Bellator fighters. Michael Page won easily again, this time on the ground but his ground & pound was short, sharp and brutal. He needs a step up now.

Brennan Ward is by far one of the most crowd friendly fighters in the game, all out aggression and a proper do or die fighter. Entertaining, short fight. Bellator are hinting at a Ward/Koreshkov title fight, im down for that.

Goiti Yamuchi is a fighter to keep an eye on. Only 22 but already has 23 pro fights. He basically beat Kobayashi in every facet of the game. Complete domination.

Then the main event! It was fairly obvious that Bellator were expecting Halsey to come out and reclaim his belt, they were giving it the hard sell on commentary like it was a foregone conclusion. For a round it looked that way, typical Halsey round, all power, but he put all his eggs in the basket with a head and arm choke attempt which failed. Carvalho then crushed Halsey with a body kick that ended the fight in round 2, it came out of nowhere but it was a brutal shot...and Bellator has an unexpected new Middleweight champ :confused:

rafael-carvalho-bellator-1442.jpg?w=1000

moving on...

KSW has it's first English show at Wembley this week, they've sold the fucker out but there's very little buzz about it. It's a shame because it's probably the best MMA card held in this country (outside of the UFC) in fuck knows how long. The show is available with an online PPV for about £7. If it wasn't on halloween i'd have stayed in and bought the PPV, i do plan on getting it Sunday though and watching it with a hangover.

18842-201509221612-lg.jpg?t=1442934848

fight card here >> http://www.sherdog.com/events/KSW-32-Road-to-Wembley-44931

quality looking show.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

Very disappointing to read earlier this week that Spike decided to cancel GLORY. Anybody that bothered watching (and by the reports not many did) would appreciate how entertaining their product is. Despite the rubbish ratings, I was hoping Spike would have stuck with them for a while yet, seeing as it is always going to take time to grow an audience for such a sport.

For GLORY's sake, let's hope the Showtime rumours are true. From Spike's end there is some talk of them starting their own kickboxing promotion.

• Paid Members

GLORY is the shit.

I don't get why GLORY, or kickboxing in general actually, has never really got big in America. Boxing is huge, MMA is huge. But it seems every Kickboxing promotion just fizzles out after a short time. It's weird. Striking is the easiest part of MMA to get into because everyone gets it. Everyone understands a right hook or a knee to the face. It doesn't require educating yourself like when you first see a triangle choke or an omaplata. And you'd think if Boxing is so popular then Kickboxing - Boxing with the addition of kicks, knees and sometimes elbows - would catch on big time. Is it simply the way it's presented, lack of big stars, lack of a Dana White figure, all the above, or what? Because, purely from a sport standpoint, it's exciting as fuck. Of course, it won't be for everyone and everyone has their own taste but personally I'll never wrap my head around why Kickboxing isn't huge in the States but fucking Baseball is.

• Paid Members

Rogan and John Wayne Parr get into a discussion about GLORY and kickboxings popularity in general, on a JRE a few days ago, and listening to JWP go on about it didn't half highlight how far away it is from MMA. It was all a little sad, really. Particularly the part where JWP pretty much said something along the lines of "why would you get into kickboxing for little money and prestige, when you can do MMA and become a rich celebrity".

JWP and Rogan were asking the same questions as you, wand. I think they reached a conclusion it's all of the above + a ton of luck along the way.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

yeh it might be down to a wrong place, wrong time thing. The product is there, they have the fighters and the presentation, i guess there just isn't a room in the market amongst the casual type fans to really make is succeed.

John Wayne Parr is doing caged Muay Thai in Australia where it's basically Muay Thai rules but with MMA gloves. That's basically the dream for the just bleed type fans. It's proper small scale right now but if that thing was given a glitzy makeover i could imagine people latching onto that but i can't see it ever happening. UCMMA do a similar thing over here to little or no fan-fayre, think they call the division UK-1...yes, UCMMA is still going.

• Paid Members

KSW was a decent shout on the weekend. The production and whole set up is mightily impressive. It really does feel like a mish-mash of the UFC & Pride. Watching the online PPV with English commentary was a bit of a mess because all the post-fight and between fight stuff was in Polish, so you basically get English commentary piped over a foreign broadcast, still better than nothing. Even better (or worse depending on how what you think of him) Will Vanders was doing commentary, the guy who used to commentate on the old K-1 Fight Club show, he's a truly awful commentator but its strangely endearing.

Fight-wise it was very short and sweet. The McSweeney/Rozalski, Taylor/Mankowski fights were both short and exciting for different reasons. The main event of course featured KSW's main man Mariusz Pudzianowski. I know KSW have been accused of homering for Pudz in the past (and they have) but there was no hint of that here. For a round, Pudz looked like a solid MMA heavyweight, powerful double leg and heavy as fuck top game, he made it very uncomfortable for Graham on the ground. Only problem is, the big lump only has a few mins of gas in him, so a slightly unfair stanup towards the end of round 1 (no homering!) gave Graham a chance to rock an exhausted Pudz to end the round. Round 2 start and the big man was a sitting duck, he got dropped with a huge uppercut and got stopped via strikes.

CheeryIdealBullfrog.gif

Whilst there was no hint of a fix being in for any of the fights, KSW is shamelessly supportive of it's Polish fighters, the promoters look happier than the fighters when they win their fights. Wembley was fucking packed too.

• Paid Members

ESPN 3 is the online channel i think, so it'll be on a delay on actual TV. Great news though!

Has anyone watched Lion Fight before? Joe Rogan bangs on about it every chance he gets, i want to check it out.

• Paid Members

The only Lion Fight fight I've seen is the Jorina Baars vs Cris Cyborg one from a while back;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=E5QDryuUQKo

Well worth a watch if you haven't seen it. If only to see what it looks like to see Cyborg take a beating. It also shows though, that Cyborg is tough and game as fuck. Exciting fight.

I'd like to watch more Lion Fight stuff. Just can't see me getting around to it unfortunately.