The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
i haven't listened to the new album yet, i will though. It's gotta be better than Big Dumb Face surely?

From what I've heard it is very good :thumbsup:

I do really want to see them, but I doubt i could afford it. They are touring in Jan 2013, and offer meet and greets with the band.

Correct you are sir. For my money, probably the best album they did. I know Calculating Infinity is 'the one' and it was the album that introduced me to them but I think Miss Machine solidified my love for them and its the album I keep going back to when I want to listen to them. The last one was really good, but was kind've 'more of the same' in the nicest possible way...

They're awful. Anyway, while they play in Brum i'll be down the road watching Ufomammut who are an infinitely better band within that doomy/sludgey genre. So glad that they are getting noticed as of late.

Don't forget to chuckle in a condescending fashion at any Down fans you encounter that day.

• Paid Members
Correct you are sir. For my money, probably the best album they did. I know Calculating Infinity is 'the one' and it was the album that introduced me to them but I think Miss Machine solidified my love for them and its the album I keep going back to when I want to listen to them. The last one was really good, but was kind've 'more of the same' in the nicest possible way...

my DEP love started with Miss Machine, it just seemed like they nailed it on how to take their chaotic style and construct decent tunes amongst all the carnage. I'm not a big fan of math-core or whatever it's called in general, i like it in moderation bt lots of it is tuneless technicality, that's why for me DEP have always stood out from the pack, they know how to pen a tune. The last 3 albums have been superb, even when they try something different it turns out being great.

• Paid Members
Next Monday is a pretty big day on the new releases front as Converge, Coheed and Cambria and Between The Buried and Me are all dropping new ones.

Got the deluxe edition on the way. Comes with loads of lovely stuff, like a coffee table book, a commemorative medallion, a DVD, bonus CDs, a blank CD to burn the second part (out in March) onto, with the full artwork printed on it already, and a pass for early entry to any gig they're headlining (Brum in November, for me). Might stick up some pictures when I get it. These boys know how to put in effort!

• Paid Members

It's being released in March. The box set just has a blank CD with the artwork, and people who've ordered the box set get a free download of part 2 on the day it comes out. Both parts will be available as CDs and downloads through all the usual channels.

And yeah, Year of the Black Rainbow was an odd one (the dreadful title didn't help). I've not given it many listens but there wasn't a lot that hooked me on it. Much like bits of No World for Tomorrow, there was a lot that was just kind of there. This one seems a bit more concept-heavy, and both parts only have 9 tracks so it seems like it'll be light on filler. I've got high hopes for it. Domino the Destitute is one of their best tracks in a while.

EDIT: Had an email this morning to say the shipping's been delayed due to some quality issues, but I get to download the album a day early. Works for me. Just hope it gets here before I see them so I can use the early entry pass...

Edited by opcws