The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

About 9 years ago I was working in a shop and some Scottish guy with a beard came in to buy some cigarettes. He noticed my Leeds wrist band and said "Oh did you go to Leeds this year?" "Yeah", I said. "Did you?". "Yeah we played there". "Oh right what band are you in?". "Biffy Clyro".

I couldn't tell you which one it was seeing as it was ages ago and I didn't know their faces then. But yeh. :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

anyone hear a fan of While She Sleeps? a band i've never really been interested in, i heard their mini-album a few years ago which was pretty unremarkable and ive kind of dismissed them ever since. They've got the horrible cliche metalcore name and get lumped into that kind of genre (which is by far the most uninteresting sub-genre's of metal of all time, every band looks and sounds exactly the same)...but anyway's, their debut album is about to drop and it's getting great reviews across the board, so it's got me interested to hear it. I got hold of one track today and it's a fucking tearer, it sounds immense. Album's out Monday and i'll get picking it up, anyone else?

I had a quick look on youtube and listened to Dead Behind the Eyes. I thought it was decent but they don't sound any better than a whole lot of other bands playing similar stuff.

As i say, i liked it, will give the album a listen though.

Ended up buying several Black Label Society albums today. Good glory, Zakk Wylde's a talented bastard.

I like training to "Bleed For Me"...And "Sold My Soul" has an opening similar to Metallica's Sanitarium....

He is a fantastic guitarist alright...AND i spelled my baby's name after him...which was okay for my missus until she saw what Wylde looks like...AFTER we registered the birth :)

I see SLASH is playing the Corn Exchange in Edinburgh in October 7th...And i go offshore 3 days before it....Bastards :(

Edited by NorthSeaTiger

anyone hear a fan of While She Sleeps? a band i've never really been interested in, i heard their mini-album a few years ago which was pretty unremarkable and ive kind of dismissed them ever since. They've got the horrible cliche metalcore name and get lumped into that kind of genre (which is by far the most uninteresting sub-genre's of metal of all time, every band looks and sounds exactly the same)...but anyway's, their debut album is about to drop and it's getting great reviews across the board, so it's got me interested to hear it. I got hold of one track today and it's a fucking tearer, it sounds immense. Album's out Monday and i'll get picking it up, anyone else?

Yes! The advance word on 'This Is The Six' in insane. The two singles they've released are both monsters. I didn't realise it was Monday so cheers for that I'll grab a copy for sure.

I had a quick look on youtube and listened to Dead Behind the Eyes. I thought it was decent but they don't sound any better than a whole lot of other bands playing similar stuff.

As i say, i liked it, will give the album a listen though.

add me in for WHILE SHE SLEEPS. best thing we have going in the uk at the moment. new album is going to be awesome.

i watched the iron maiden thing on bbc 4. the crowd was fucking massive must have been amazing to play infront of that many people

Got hold of an advance copy this week. You are all going to love the finished album. Top to bottom its a belter and one of the best debut albums I've heard in a long time. Missed them at Download unfortunately, but will keep an eye open for when they tour again.

they are doing an in-store signing at HMV Sheffield on Monday if any of you are near to that area.

As for what it actually sounds like, it ferocious, but not just a wall of noise. If your a fan of Killswitch Engage and the ilk, your going to love 'This Is The Six' and probably look at the whole metalcore genre a bit differently, such is the line that While She Sleeps have drawn in the in the sand.

An excellent (if rather lengthy) interview with Phil Anselmo where he discusses Pantera, the new Down EP, and American Idol.;

Who better than Philip Hansen Anselmo to discuss the current state of metal? His time in Pantera pretty much resurrected the genre from extinction brought on by grunge and the short-term shelf life of all those late '80s Aqua Netal acts. And though the untimely on-stage shooting death in 2004 of former Pantera guitarist Dimebag Darrell may have cut short any hopes for those songs being played live again, Anselmo continues to wave the heavy flag both with his various musical endeavors, most notably Down, and the boutique label Housecore Records, which features, among others, the thrash of Warbeast and the sludge of Haarp.

"I love it. I love everything from the camaraderie, the studio work, pulling songs together, helping out

• Paid Members

At a Down show in Manchester a few years ago, he introduced Bury Me In Smoke by saying "If you don't know the name or the words to this next song, you shouldn't be here". Granted, most people would've known one or both and it's also one of their better-known songs, but what a fucking daft thing to say.