The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

they got the bassist from Chimaira and some other dude on drums.

I'll check one of them shows, worth going for Devin Townsend so Fear Factory are a nice bonus.

FearFactory_Industrialist-1-e1338842657313.jpg

Anyone heard The Industrialist yet? it's pretty much business as usual. It's not too far away in sound to how Mechanize sounded so if you liked that or Demanufacture era Fear Factory you need to get it.

Shadows Fall fell off my radar awhile ago, but caught them at Download last week and they were alot of fun. Will check out the new stuff when I get the time, and assuming that I don't spend the next few months listening to the new Manowar album when it comes through the letter box at weekend

Shadows Fall are a band that I have no qualms with at all. They're the perfect support band in that I'm never going to go absolutely wild for them, but they do their craft well enough to mean I'll never hate them when I see them.

I have to admit though, I really don't get Devin. I was never a big fan of SYL and I just feel like he's been massively blown out of proportion, being hailed as the greatest thing going in metal at the moment. I'd prefer to see FF than I would Devin, so what si ti everyone sees in him?

I'm not a big fan of Devin or anything but every once in a while he seems to make an outstanding odd track or two, on the whole he's boring to me though and probably gets most of the love from being a bit of a curio. Still better than Fear Factory (only just) in my mind though, they have always been a bit meh with a couple of decent catchy tunes.

Malevolent Creation are touring here later this month, solid old school US Death Metal, Ten Commandments was one of the finest DM albums from the early 90's.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

Strapping Young Lad are one of my favourite bands ever, they're pretty much completely unique too, so heavy but with weirdness and humour. I loved them but Devin's solo stuff is hit and miss, certainly not worthy of him being treated like a messiah, to me he's a guy doing what he wants who used to be in a great band. I miss SYL.

I can't believe I used to (occasionally) listen to Fear Factory, they sound so awful to me now, Burton C Bell sings like he just learnt to speak English.

• Paid Members

I'm the same with Fear Factory. All my mates loved them at one point but I was luke warm to them at best and now it seems more and more puzzling.

I'm proper psyched for the DOWN gig in October. I don't really follow metal news and stuff on anything more than surfice level. Does anyone have any idea when the first of the four DOWN IV EPs comes out?

I'm the same with Fear Factory. All my mates loved them at one point but I was luke warm to them at best and now it seems more and more puzzling.

I'm proper psyched for the DOWN gig in October. I don't really follow metal news and stuff on anything more than surfice level. Does anyone have any idea when the first of the four DOWN IV EPs comes out?

Not sure of an exact date but I'm sure its with the next couple of months.

Opeth have announced the followings:

NOVEMBER

12 NOTTINGHAM Rock City

13 GLASGOW abc

14 DUBLIN Vicar St

15 LEEDS Universtiy

16 LONDON Union Chapel (one off acoustic show)

17 PORTSMOUTH Pyramid Centre

• Paid Members
Strapping Young Lad are one of my favourite bands ever, they're pretty much completely unique too, so heavy but with weirdness and humour. I loved them but Devin's solo stuff is hit and miss, certainly not worthy of him being treated like a messiah, to me he's a guy doing what he wants who used to be in a great band. I miss SYL.

I can't believe I used to (occasionally) listen to Fear Factory, they sound so awful to me now, Burton C Bell sings like he just learnt to speak English.

Burton is a terrible vocalist. There was a time when i stopped listening to Fear Factory at one point because i couldn't stand his voice, but since Dino's re-joined i've learnt to live with it, the last two albums have been good shit.

There's a great history piece about Devin Townsend in Metal Hammer this month.

Malevolent Creation are touring here later this month, solid old school US Death Metal, Ten Commandments was one of the finest DM albums from the early 90's.

They're playing in Glasgow on Tuesday, sadly it's the same night as Sacred Reich, so I won't be attending. Both have been hideously promoted, Malevolent in particular. I enjoy MC, but they weren't spectacular live, in my opinion. Nothing awful, but not something you're likely to list in Gig of the Year.

I would like to add, too, that in 2 weeks today, I will be seeing DEATH TO ALL. WITH ATHIEST. :D