The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Rush have announced an arena tour for 2013:Manchester MEN Arena- 22nd May 2013London O2 Arena - May 24th 2013Birmingham LG Arena - May 26th 2013Sheffield Motorpoint Arena - May 28th 2013Glasgow SECC Arena - May 30th 2013Tickets on sale 9:00am on May 18th

Edited by KingOfMetal

• Paid Members

i bought the Best of Rush yesterday. I've never really listened to the band other than travelling to football matches when i was about 14. My friends dad was a big fan and would always play Rush, i loved it! Since the prog revival it's got me interested in checking em out again.

Rush have announced an arena tour for 2013:Manchester MEN Arena- 22nd May 2013London O2 Arena - May 24th 2013Birmingham LG Arena - May 26th 2013Sheffield Motorpoint Arena - May 28th 2013Glasgow SECC Arena - May 30th 2013Tickets on sale 9:00am on May 18th

Yeah there's O2 presale tomorrow. I'm going. A year in advance is a little odd though. I know a lot of comedians doing arena tours go on sale way in advance but it's surprising for a band like Rush to go on sale so early.It appears Weiland back in VR isn't true, despite him saying himself. Who knows whats going on. Edited by Harvey Dent

Bill Ward with quite a lengthy post on the Sabbath situation, from his Facebook page

Dear Sabbath Fans and Fellow Musicians,I sincerely regret to inform you that after a final effort to participate in the upcoming Sabbath shows a failure to agree has continued. At this time I have to inform you that I won

Edited by patdfb

3 and 1/2 weeks until Download, 4 days until the Birmingham show and we're still none the wiser.Vinnie Appice has ruled himself out too after some harsh about recording with Dio and Iommi on the Heaven & Hell album.Which leaves us with...well, who exactly? Mike Bordin has played with Ozzy in the past, Tommy Clufetos plays with Ozzy now, or it be someone else entirely. The whole thing has taken the shine off them headlining Download

3 and 1/2 weeks until Download, 4 days until the Birmingham show and we're still none the wiser.Vinnie Appice has ruled himself out too after some harsh about recording with Dio and Iommi on the Heaven & Hell album.Which leaves us with...well, who exactly? Mike Bordin has played with Ozzy in the past, Tommy Clufetos plays with Ozzy now, or it be someone else entirely. The whole thing has taken the shine off them headlining Download

Black Sabbath has become a saga now when infact it should be celebrating the fact this could be the last time Sabbath could be playing together and for someone like myself who would like to see sabbath know it's ruined by shitty politics. I must say i am really, really looking forward to Cancer Bats at download looking old skool and Lowdown on scuzz is providing me with extra buildup which i don't need as i can't wait to go.And i reckon VR reunion is true but Weiland has gone vocalist on everyone and announced on his own terms.

Black Sabbath has become a saga now when infact it should be celebrating the fact this could be the last time Sabbath could be playing together and for someone like myself who would like to see sabbath know it's ruined by shitty politics.

A history of the band nicked from the Bloodstock forums:Ozzy doesn't turn up for Never Say Die rehearsals and leaves the band.Dave Walker joins.Dave Walker leaves.Ozzy rejoins and NSD is somehow completed.Ozzy leaves again.Ronnie James Dio joins.Two albums later, and just when you think everything is on track, Ronnie leaves to form his own band.Ian Gillan joins and "Deep Sabbath" is born (again).Bill leaves.Bev Bevan from ELO(!) joins.Stonehenge monuments try to join but can't get in the building.Bevan leaves.Gillan leaves.Ozzy and Dio's solo careers begin to eclipse Sabbath.Dave Donato joins.Dave Donato leaves.Jeff Fenholt joins.Jeff Fenholt leaves.Glenn Hughes joins.After three years, Seventh Star is released, but it's not even a real Sabbath album.Glenn Hughes leaves.Ray Gillen joins.Ray Gillen leaves.Tony Martin joins and the ship is steadied. For a while.Tony Martin begins to call himself "Cat" and starts acting way too rock star for Iommi.Tony Martin leaves.Back comes Ronnie.Off goes Ronnie again.Back comes Tony again.Off goes Tony again.Reunion with Ozzy is announced.Bill Ward has a heart attack.Reunion goes ahead with a clearly unwell Bill.Reunion ends when Ozzy buggers off to do another solo album and begin filming The Osbournes.Ozzy nearly kills himself in a quad bike accident but recovers to do another reunion tour.Another reunion ends in 2005In comes Ronnie. Again.Sabbath are now told they're not even allowed to use their own name.Sabbath become Heaven and Hell.Ronnie dies.Reunion announced in the press.Tony denies announcement and bollocks the journalist.Reunion announced. Again.Album and world tour announced.Tony diagnosed with Lymphoma.Fans sympathise and accept the tour may not go ahead.The band say they hope the tour can still go ahead but Bill releases a statement, claiming he has an "unsignable contract".Fans sympathise.Bill gets fired. Allegedly.Fans blame Sharon.Sharon denies firing Bill.Nobody believes her.The band cancel all but one reunion show.Bill says he may yet still feature in the full reunion show, or in the (rather hurriedly assembled) "Ozzy and Friends" band to play the other shows.Ozzy/Sharon beg a guitarist they sacked two years ago to help out.And Slash.Special show in Birmingham announced featuring all four original members.More rumblings from Bill about distribution of pay.Another press release and Bill withdraws from special reunion show and Download

• Paid Members

Stonehenge monuments try to join but can't get in the building.

That sounds like a Spinal Tap joke.

Stonehenge monuments try to join but can't get in the building.

That sounds like a Spinal Tap joke.
Its the incident that formed the Tap-Stongenge joke. Sabbath brought staging to there American tour that was too big for the venues they were booked in. The movie goes the other way by having the staging being small Edited by KingOfMetal

Mojo Magazine (December 1994): Ian Gillan, you briefly joined Black Sabbath in 1983, tell us about the infamous Born Again tour that provided such valuable inspiration for Spinal Tap?Ian Gillan: We were up at a company called LSD (Light and Sound Design) in Birmingham, and the lighting engineer asked if anyone had any ideas for a stage set. Geezer Butler suggested Stonehenge. "How do you envisage it, Geezer?" asked the engineer. "Life size, of course," replied Geezer. So they built a life-size Stonehenge. We hired the Birmingham NEC to rehearse in and they couldn't get these bloody things in there. We opened in Montreal and Don Arden had hired Maple Leaf ice hockey stadium for a week, so they shipped the set over there and could still only get a few of those damn stones up, one each side of the stage, one behind the drums and two cross-pieces. The album was called Born Again and had the most vile cover I've ever seen, a new-born baby painted red with yellow finger nails and two little yellow horns sticking out of his head.Now, I've not been able to remember a single word of any of the Sabbath songs, I don't know why but they won't go into my head. So I did myself a prompt book and wrote out the first lines of each song. I don't normally use monitors but I had two wedges put at the front of the stage just to hide my book, and I'd practices turning the pages with my foot at home in the kitchen. No problem. On the last day of the rehearsal we're wondering what this dwarf is doing hanging around backstage. When we do the dress rehearsal the dwarf emerges in a red leotard, long yellow finger nails and little yellow horns. He's going to be the baby.Then we hear this horrendous screaming sound