The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Slash is releasing his album one track a day over Facebook.Some really good tracks on there. "Standing In The Sun" and "No More Heroes" are both belters! My least favourite is "One Last Thrill". It's just too messy vocally in the verses!I've linked the direct link to the songs below for you guys without Facebook.Apocalyptic LoveOne Last ThrillStanding In The SunNo More Heroes

has the fan pack been released yet?
Released on the 22nd. Apparently it's only these 5 that are getting released on Facebook. Gutted, because I really want to hear more of "Not For Me".

I fucking love Cradle of Filth, easily one of the best live bands i've ever seen. Im not too fussed about all the 'not tr00 BM' shite that gets thrown around, couldn't give a toss whether they're true or kvlt anyway as most of that shite sounds like it was done in a biscuit tin. They themselves dont class themselves as Black Metal so why there's a hoo-hah, is beyond me. 'Midian' is still an absolute beast, spent about a week listening to just that last year

I'm not a black metal fan, closest I'll come to it is King Diamond or Venom. I've never liked COF, but I ended up listening to them at Ozzfest in 02 and they were fucking horrid. It was really a toss up between them and Kittie as the worst sounding band of the festival.

• Paid Members

i think Cradle of Filth suffer from that thing where thay kind of transcended the genre, the true fans turned their backs on them and labelled them sellouts or whatever, im not a fan to the point where i can say whether the quality of their music dropped or not, ive only recently picked up a few albums. I'm not accusing anyone here of doing that, but that's the impression i get. I was at the infamous Bloodstock headline performance 3 years ago, and it's fair to say they didn't have too many friends amongst the 10,000 people in attendance that day and that's fans of the more extreme metal genres.

Its a strange one is Cradle Of Filth. the really gained the height of their fame when metal was the in thing and so 'true fans' instantly hated them. And hard to say they were ever an out and out black metal band. Its like with Slipknot, they got lumped into the 'nu-metal' genre (even though they have a very distinct sound of their own, and always have done) because Corey rapped (for lack of a better term) on 'Spit It Out' and they have a DJ providing effects.

I wouldn't say COF were out and out black-metal like the Darkthrones, Emperors or Mayhems of this world, but there are certainly black metal influences throughout their albums. 'Dusk And Her Embrace' and 'Cruelty And the Beast' are their best pieces of work, but 'Midian' and 'Bitter Suites To Succubi' have moments. And the band themselves probably wouldn't label themselves black metal anyway. Whats wrong with simply being a metal band?

As for the Bloodstock incident (if anyone would care to shed light on this, as I havent attended Bloodstock since 2003), thats 'fans' being elitist as usual. Dam you Bloodstock for booking a band that has had success on some level and might actually sell tickets thus making money for the festival and allowing it to grow in future years, shame on you!.

One you rise above a certain level or sell a certain number of albums or, god forbid, try something new musically, your "sellouts" because your not the tiny band that 200 people knew about before

When you think about it, they are probably one of the most successful British Metal bands since Iron Maiden (the only british band I can think to have any kind of major success outside of the UK into mainland Europe would be Bullet For My Valentine or Lost Prophets) . I know the Iron Maiden comparison sounds like a majorly bold statement, but with appearances at Ozzfest, Download, Bloodstock (hell, they've even played Sziget Festival), Grammy nominations, at one time singed to Sony Music, you can't deny that they have been a majorly successful band

Edited by KingOfMetal

• Paid Members

The guitarist was hit with an everlasting gobstopper, down he went. I was enjoying the show too, the festival MC came on and went mental on the audience, it was all very weird.

A new singer you say.... ?

According to Weiland, VELVET REVOLVER will hit the road for a short tour before the end of the year. "[VELVET REVOLVER guitarist] Slash's solo album gets released [on May 22] and so he's gonna do some touring on that and then we're gonna go and do some [VELVET REVOLVER] shows in the later part of summer into early fall," the singer said.During an appearance on this morning's (Monday, May 14) edition of the "Half-Assed Morning Show" on the Minneapolis, Minnesota radio station 93X, Slash shot down Weiland's reunion comments, explaining, "I have absolutely no intention of going back to that. . . I'm on tour all year. I'll call Duff, but I serious doubt [there is any truth to Weiland's comments]. We have no intention of going backwards."

Edited by cobystag