The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Funny you should mention Ghost, as this was my first suggestion when Vicky asked me who i'd like to see booked in the future. Mastodon was mentioned in a similar conversation with her last year, and her response to both was positive. I also threw Saint Vitus into the discussion and she was in to that idea also. Someone mentioned a band, can't remember who, that she said she loved, but couldn't see at BOA. So she's pretty open about things.

Headliners are booked quite a long way out, so this is another reason i'm not feeling Slayer. When Lamb of God headlined, people assumed it was to capitalise on the press surrounding Randy Blythe. The reality is that they were actually booked for the slot before any of that happened. A good 18 months or so before they played BOA.

Vicky has an incredibly hard job given she has to book a festival true to BOA's mantra of "by fans, for fans". But she also has to book a commercially viable and financially sensible festival. There are a lot more people now vs 5 years ago, so that only makes it harder. I think she strikes the balance quite well to be honest. There are a number of bands who will draw HUGE crowds in Europe, but will only generate a few extra ticket sales at BOA. These bands command big pay days and it isn't viable to give them that kind of money to play at BOA when it's not going to have the same drawing power. In reality she has a mostly thankless job, which is a bit crap given how great the festival always is. One great example is when she booked Hatebreed the other year. She got trashed online heavily for it, yet they came and slayed it on stage, drawing a huge crowd. As i said to her, she's in a tough spot and can't do anything right. But she always gives us a great festival. Metalheads are the most elitist fuckers going when they want to be. Which is sad given how good of a community we are too.

• Paid Members

How did you manage to get there?

Fucking quality that was though, Sepultura are still fucking great. Anyone been reading the recent Max Cavalera comments with regards to the band? He comes off like a right tosser.

How did you manage to get there?

Fucking quality that was though, Sepultura are still fucking great. Anyone been reading the recent Max Cavalera comments with regards to the band? He comes off like a right tosser.

With much good fortune lol. Won a competition to watch a band of my choice (not a headliner or special guest slot) from the side of the stage. So i picked Sepultura. Got up there shortly before they came on, and left shortly after they finished. Was left up there alone as it goes. "you know the way our right?". So that was unique.Always quite the experience walking through the artist area, which i was lucky enough to do on 2 different days this year. Also got to watch a little of Napalm Death from the side of the stage on Saturday during my backstage tour (perk of Rock Society membership). Great view of the carnage from up there.

11855651_10153219276538558_3691759387572

It varies depending on the band's setup and where you are. As obviously the monitors are for the benefit of the band rather than the people standing watching up there. Last year we saw Evil Scarecrow from the side of the stage and it was pretty clear, but due to where we were the keyboard was louder. For Napalm Death the sound was pretty well balanced and loud. With Sepultura it was pretty balanced and at a nice loud volume also, but Derrick sounded a little quiet. Not so much that it spoiled it though. It's such a unique way to watch a band you've been a fan of for 20 years, definitely something i will remember. Such a weird thing to be stood a few feet away from a band you've listened to for so long and to be in the smoke on the stage.

Id love to experience that myself.

Anyone here off to see a date on the actual Sepultura tour later in the year?

I wish, but have so many gigs lined up for the tail end of the year i can't justify it. Did get tickets to the Sabaton and Alestorm tour in Feb though. I've been very fortunate when it comes to watching bands from the side of the stage at BOA. It's always different and always a great experience. What you dont get to see behind the curtain is interesting too. Headliners have all day to setup back there, while the rest of the lineup is being setup 2 bands ahead (they do this around anything the headliner's people are doing). So you have a lot of kit back there, drums being checked while a band is on etc. You also have a lot of band members doing stuff ahead of their sets.

Just listened to the new Ghost album, Meliora.

Oh.my.word. Bloodstock need to book these in a big spot ASAP, an absolute triumph of an album.

For anyone going to see them at Leeds/Reading next week, don't miss them. The new stuff is really going to add to the live show, particularly 'Absolution'.

I can't wait for them to come back and tour here, it's going to be phenomenal. Again, a fantastic piece of work