The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Yeah I'd read that too. There hasn't been any statement making it official as yet. Donnie Steele (an original member of the band from the Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat days) has been filling in on Bass since Paul Gray died, but he doesn't appear onstage, he plays his bass backstage.

As far as I'm aware, they haven't played since Joey left so Knotfest later this year will be the new drummers debut, and he will be onstage.

Don't mind the new song, but will judge it more alongside the new album as a whole. Intrigued as to what the sound will be as no album is ever the same

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I believe Slipknot's new drummer is Jay Weinberg, formerly of Against Me!.

Thought he left Against Me to go make tacos or something. Although you'd have to fucking love tacos to turn down Slipknot money.

EDIT: I was thinking of a different Against Me drummer. I'm hungry for tacos now.

Edited by Refused

So after a nice long shower and the first proper bit of sleep since wednesday night, I'm back from Bloodstock and had a great time. Don't recommend getting to a festival as late as we did (which in all fairness is my friends fault for working during the day meaning that he didn't get into Lichfield until gone 8:00 and then faft about getting food from the local Tesco before driving to the site and finding somewhere to pitch up with light rapidly disappearing.

Friday 

Day got underway with Bloodshot Dawn who were good on the main before catching No Sin Evades His Gaze on the New Blood Stage. NSEHG weren't bad, but I'm struggling to remember anything about them. Maybe that was down to not really being sure what to get from them beforehand. Easy to say that we knew exactly what we were going to get from Abhorrent Decimation, and they were good for what they were.

Caught most of Primordial before going for a bit of a wander before coming back for Prong, who I haven't listened to properly in years and made want to dig out their stuff again, great show from them.

Triptykon were good once they got going, and then the rains came which led to us heading back to pick up our waterproofs and missing the start of Hatebreed, who were also good, if somewhat predictable.

Shame that Dimmu Borgir had some shocking "technical bullshit" which meant that their set was cut short. Have never seen them before, and this turned it into a disappointing affair.

Down on the other were spectacular. We caught them last year at Download and that was a very phoned in performance. This time however, with Anselmo actually putting in the effort, was a different story. He seemed to be having a great time, making headbands out of his mic-chord, pulling photographers into place, tickling security guards. A great way to top off the first night.

Was gutted to find out that the merch had sold out of Emperor gear on the first day.

Saturday

Back Down Or Die were a little bit drab for a hardcore band, but they didn't really have much of a crowd to work with. On the other hand, Evil Scarecrow were fucking awesome. Pure gimmick band, but a massive amount of fun. Nowhere else would you find a crowd doing a Dr Zoidberg scuttle.

Decapitated seemed to sound less deathy than I remember, and seemed to sound more like a NWOAHM band in places.

Didn't really think much to Orphaned Land, so we went to check out Profane Omen on the second stage, who came out in 5th gear and never went below and seemed to really enjoy themselves. Conquest Of Steel played their final show and brought heavy/power cliche with them, but by god they were good and even bust out a Manowar cover, which is as close as Bloodstock will ever get to hearing them.

Obsidian Kingdom were a band that I was really looking forward to after hearing their debut album ('Mantiis') last year. Awesome show and if they get seen by the right people can go really far.

Children Of Bodom seemed to go through the motions a bit and are a nother band that I haven't kept up with in recent times. Carcass were not as good as they were at Damnation last year but still enjoyable enough.

And then, Emperor happened. Black Metal, when done correctly, can be great, but Emperor were on another level. It seemed almost poetic that it started to rain once more during their set. Its a shame that they had such a short set for a headline act (75minutes), but their were perfect in what they did. Depending on if they keep coming back to do the festival circuit, this could be the final UK performance of the band, and it was as perfect as you can get.

Sunday

After waking up in a torrential downpour, it was time to layer up for the sunday. Byzanthian Neckbeard, who were camped next to us, kicked things off on the New Blood Stage and were a great doom band in the style of Conan.

Aborted brought the blastbeats, while ReVamp disappointed with their show, mainly because we spend most of it trying to decidie if Floor Jansen looked more 'post-op' than 'pre-op'.

Biohazard did what they do very well, and bringing on a bunch of the crowd was a great visual. Bit of a break to take the heavier stuff back to the car before Obituary who were great and then Saxon once again appeared at Bloodstock and were great as always, even when Dave Mustaine stumbled out to jam on 'Denim & Leather'.

Amon Amarth brought the best visual show to the weekend, complete with smoke bellowing Dragon-heads and lots of fire, before Megadeth who, despite getting a lot of stick from me and my mate, brought their A-Game and played very well.

All in all, a great return to Bloodstock for me and hardly a dud band all weekend

Home from Bloodstock and i had a ball! So much awesome in one weekend can't be a healthy thing!

Me and the Mrs met Down, Emperor, Lacuna Coil, ReVamp, HELLYEAH, Hatebreed, Dimmu Borgir, Amon Amarth, Biohazard, Prong, The Heretic Order, Sister Sin, Crowbar, Orphaned Land and Arthemis. So it was a great weekend in that respect lol.

The cameo appearance by Dave Mustaine during Saxon's set for 'Denim and Leather' was awesome. And i was really impressed by Megadeth's awesome headline set. Last time i saw Megadeth i walked away to get ice cream after 15mins of pure boredom, so this was like the polar opposite of the experience i was expecting.

Watching Evil Scarecrow from the side of the stage during our backstage tour was pretty cool, as was meeting the booker and her lovely stage tech husband, who gave me a bunch of picks from shows he's worked recently to add to my collection.
I also landed the ReVamp setlist (which i now have signed) and one of the Megadeth setlists.

Highlight of the weekend could be getting this pic with Vinnie Paul.. or getting his autograph on the same piece of paper as Phil Anselmo. Now if only a booked can do the same we can all die happy..

Oh.. i also won 2 tickets to Bloodstock 2015!

1468501_10152396185913558_41101712670139

10561776_10152396157818558_4255559994173

10407277_10152396168433558_4181762504087

Edited by truthofsin

• Paid Members

ahhh yeh man, fucking brilliant weekend again. Bloodstock is the best and friendliest festival in the UK bar none, the bigger ones are nice but Bloodstock is the premier metal festival in the country.

It was my 5th time now and it really feels like a special place to play now, you get the feeling from the bands that playing Bloodstock is just a massive moment for them despite it not being the biggest of festivals...i remember Jamey Jasta in an intervew a year or two ago that playing Bloodstock was one of the highlights of his career, and that's a dude who's played on every main stage imaginable.

This year was great music-wise though, they toned down on the folk and power metal (which is cool with me) but there was some great sets. Down was all kinds of special on the friday, Phil Anselmo on top wise-cracking form too. When they bust out Stone the Crow and someone lit the red flair i was genuinely thinking there was nowhere on earth id rather be at that moment, pure goose-bump inducing shit.

Prong, Amon Amarth, Decapitated, Megadeth, Obituary, Triptykon, Evil Scarecrow, Shining Hell Yeah, Avatar, Blood Red Throne, Biohazard, all fucking great for their own reasons.

Outstanding...hear any rumors for next year headlining?

I'd heard a rumour they were announcing one after Megadeth, which they did seem to tease but ultimately didn't.

I think Judas Priest would be a good shout. Next year is Bloodstock's 15th festival, so getting a heritage metal act to celebrate that would be the way to go I think. Other than them, I could see Opeth doing it, especially with a new album out at the end of this month they'll be well into the touring cycle for that by this time next year. But those are purely speculation

yeh Priest is one we mentioned.

the tease at the end was pretty annoying actually, i think everyone hung around expecting an announcement.

There was talk in the VIP bar that there was going to be an announcement prior to Megadeth's set. But it wasn't to be sadly. Having won tickets i'm more eager than previous years to know who is on the bill lol.

im sure the lineup will be great.

whats the VIP bar like? we spent a lot of time in the Sophie Lancaster stage after the bands, good laugh in there.

The whole VIP area has flooring, even the outdoor bits. It's all plastic sheeting tacked in to the ground. There are benches and giant bean bags in the outdoor bit. This is next to the Scuzz TV setup and media area. The huge tent you can see from the main arena is the VIP bar and it has a bar that runs the entire legth of it with tons of ciders and real ales (£4 a pint). And when i say tons they've actually printed a pocket size directory of all on offer for you to take with you to work out what you want next. There were live DJs, musicians and ll the kind of rubbish in there too. Not a bad setup to be honest. The luxury of a proper toilet will always be a welcome addition to any festival lol. Where we were camped in Midgard it wasn't so bad on the toilet front though.

Yeah we were camped in Midgard too towards the back right corner (Hull KR flag).

I'm sure whoever they do get for next year will be fine. With them announcing Emperor at the end of the festival last time people just anticipated the same this year.

We did get a chuckle as they asked "do you want us to come back next year?" We all went "well I'm afraid I've got some BAAAAAAD NEEEEEWS!"

Edited by WyattSheepMask