The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

A, Aaron Keylock, Allusondrugs, American Fangs, Apocalyptica, Beartooth, Blackberry Smoke, Butcher Babies, Cavalera Conspiracy, Code Orange, Counterparts, Crobot, Dead Daises, Decade, Dolomite Minor, Emp!re, Fightstar, Ghost Town, God Damn, Heart Of A Coward, Hey! Hello!, Hyena, Iconic Eye, In Hearts Wake, Insomnium, Love Zombies, Modestep, New Years Day, The One Hundred, The Pink Slips, Pop Evil, Purson, Roam, Rival State, Sirens In The Delta, The Sword, Sylosis, Trash Boat.

All added to Download 2015

• Paid Members

There is no one i would see in that update with the exception of FightStar. Another lackluster offering from Download, looks like i'll be giving this one a miss again.

In positive news, Hevy Festival have announced more bands and BY FUCK it is looking incredible. So far, it is;

Thrice

Coheed and Cambria, who have confirmed that they’ll be performing seminal album In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 in full on the Friday night.

The Dillinger Escape Plan

The Get Up Kids (playing Something To Write Home About in full!!!),

Monuments

Vales

Grader

Up River

Ohhms

Collisions

Touché Amoré

Hacktivist

Black Tusk

Baby Godzilla

Continents

Creeper

Fort Hope

Fathoms

The Colour Line

Wraiths.

Coheed And Cambria playing IKSOS in full is worth the ticket price alone (ÂŁ70 for both nights including camping). The Get Up Kids playing Something To Write Home About in full just adds more fuel to the fire. Oh, and motherfucking Thrice are going to be there too! Those three are enough for me, they can add in more unknown bands for all i care, i am all ready sold.

It's a small festival, apparently they had 5000 campers last year. Anyone got any experiences of small festivals? How is the atmosphere compared to others?

• Paid Members

That does look pretty sweet, i thought Thrice were on an indefinate hiatus though?

The appeal to goto big festivals for me is dropping all the time, there's so many great mini festivals popping up now that have great lineups and cost less than half the price, plus you have the comfort of them not being stupid big.

The 2000 Trees lineup is quality as well, as well as the one day Slam Dunk Festival which has a great lineup this year.

There is no one i would see in that update with the exception of FightStar. Another lackluster offering from Download, looks like i'll be giving this one a miss again.

In positive news, Hevy Festival have announced more bands and BY FUCK it is looking incredible. So far, it is;

Thrice

Coheed and Cambria, who have confirmed that they’ll be performing seminal album In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 in full on the Friday night.

Monuments

Vales

Grader

Up River

Ohhms

Collisions

Touché Amoré

Hacktivist

Black Tusk

Baby Godzilla

Continents

Creeper

Fort Hope

Fathoms

The Colour Line

Wraiths.

Coheed And Cambria playing IKSOS in full is worth the ticket price alone (ÂŁ70 for both nights including camping). The Get Up Kids playing Something To Write Home About in full just adds more fuel to the fire. Oh, and motherfucking Thrice are going to be there too! Those three are enough for me, they can add in more unknown bands for all i care, i am all ready sold.

It's a small festival, apparently they had 5000 campers last year. Anyone got any experiences of small festivals? How is the atmosphere compared to others?

I went to Hevy fest maybe, 3 years ago? Atmosphere was awesome,so many good sets with crowds going wild. The only problem was the toilet situation! no where near enough toilets for the amount of people. But i'm sure they've addressed that in the past couple of years. Pretty cool being able to hang out at the safari park/zoo before any bands start too. Plenty of decent food trucks too (good veggie and vegan options) rather just burger bars. 

• Paid Members

That does look pretty sweet, i thought Thrice were on an indefinate hiatus though?

They are, hence why this is a UK exclusive appearance. It's a flabbergasting announcement. There are also rumours abound that From Autumn To Ashes, who have recently reformed, will be on the line-up.

I went to Hevy fest maybe, 3 years ago? Atmosphere was awesome,so many good sets with crowds going wild. The only problem was the toilet situation! no where near enough toilets for the amount of people. But i'm sure they've addressed that in the past couple of years. Pretty cool being able to hang out at the safari park/zoo before any bands start too. Plenty of decent food trucks too (good veggie and vegan options) rather just burger bars. 

Sounds great! I'm really looking forward to no long-ass walk from the car park to the campsite and having plenty of space to tent up. Do you remember what the night life situation is? Do they have pop-up discos and stuff to do after the bands have finished, or is it just back to the campsite for a few more beers?

• Paid Members

That walk and the sheer hassle of little things like just going for a piss is what puts me off Download. Mates tried to get me to goto Hellfest this year but it all just looks like hassle. Im happy at Bloodstock.

I do want to take in another smaller festival this year though.

They are, hence why this is a UK exclusive appearance. It's a flabbergasting announcement. There are also rumours abound that From Autumn To Ashes, who have recently reformed, will be on the line-up.

Sounds great! I'm really looking forward to no long-ass walk from the car park to the campsite and having plenty of space to tent up. Do you remember what the night life situation is? Do they have pop-up discos and stuff to do after the bands have finished, or is it just back to the campsite for a few more beers?

I'm not sure to be honest, after drinking all day I was pretty much done by the end of all the bands. I'm pretty sure they had DJ sets after though. 

Thrice

Monuments

Vales

Grader

Up River

Ohhms

Collisions

Touché Amoré

Hacktivist

Black Tusk

Baby Godzilla

Continents

Creeper

Fort Hope

Fathoms

The Colour Line

Wraiths.

I'm in, TGUK playing an album that has broken and mended my heart for the last 15 years, too good to turn down

• Paid Members

Yeh, i'd love to see that set. That album reminds me of the days when you had no way of listening to music other than buying it. Me and a mate used to live by the reviews in Kerrang! and Metal Hammer, if something got a KKKKK review we usually went and bought it, Something To Write Home About was one of those album...Refused's 'The Shape of Punk to Come' and Snapcase's 'Designs for Automation' are two others i remember picking up based simply on the strength of a review, and both remain two of my favorite records. I miss those days.

...on the flipside, the mate i was talking about picked up an Emperor album (don't remember which one) based on a KKKKK review and given that black metal was completely alien to us at that age, we just kind of sat there scratching our heads listening to that one. Simpler times :nerd:

Why don't you split half and half. If you watch the first half of Delain in the tent then come out and catch the second half of Trivium will feature the bigger hits towards the end. I imagine it will be easier coming out of the tent rather the other way and trying to get in

Not a bad idea. The other headliners i'm set on, so this is the only clash i'm unsure about lol

Anyone read the Mike Portnoy vs. the NHS story over the weekend?

It started as such:

Former Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy has kicked off an angry debate about the UK’s National Health Service after reporting he’d had to leave an Accident & Emergency ward without being treated.

He apologised to fans attending his London show with the Neal Morse Band yesterday afternoon, saying he wouldn’t be able to appear at the planned meet-and-greet because he was feeling ill.

But he later posted a furious statement on Facebook after leaving hospital before receiving medical attention ahead of the concert.

Portnoy said: “A very special no thanks to the staff at the Whittington Hospital for not seeing me, regardless of telling them that there is an audience waiting for our show to begin. I finally left without seeing a doctor in order to make tonight's show.

“I have no idea how the hell I'm going to make it through this show. I can't even stand up or lift my arms.”

His comment has received more than 2000 responses in under 12 hours – including one from a doctor who works at Whittington’s A&E, who’s also a Portnoy fan.

Elliott Cheng said: “As much as I'd jump at the opportunity to help you if I was on call tonight, please try to understand. Us healthcare professionals don't want anyone to wait or suffer at all – however we encounter life-threatening conditions every hour, sometimes every minute, that stop us from seeing others that may be slightly less unwell as quickly as we'd like.

“The NHS is under-financed, understaffed, overworked. We do have to economise our resources. With all the respect I have for you, it hurts when one of my idols insults an organisation I work very hard for. Waiting sucks, I know – but dying patients suck even more.”

Health service quality is a hot political issue in the UK. It’s paid for through National Insurance payments taken from citizens’ wages, but some feel not enough is being spent on frontline provision. Others argue that the service model is outdated and fails to provide value for money, and must work harder under tighter budgets.

Whittington Hospital, which serves 500,000 people, is under pressure to deliver a faster A&E turnaround. The government has set a target for all hospitals to treat 95% of patients within four hours, but recent figures suggest it only manages 84%. Its website opens with an appeal to “use alternative services if your condition is not life-threatening.”

Portnoy fans were split over the issue. One pointed out: “It's not about skipping the line because he's famous – he wanted to be seen in order to not let the audience at the show down.”

One said: “Sorry for your illness, but you shouldn't get better treatment because you are a famous musician. Get over yourself already.”

And another suggested: “I think everyone would understand if you had to get a replacement. Don't try and play if your body won't let you.”

Others commented that, despite Portnoy’s statement, he would have been assessed by a medial professional on arrival through the triage system, and his waiting time would have been based on the severity of his condition.

The drummer didn’t provide details of his illness but managed to perform the show at the Islington Assembly Hall. Mainman Morse said on Facebook it had been “a weird day” dealing with Portnoy’s illness, but later added: “Mike played like a champ!”

So he was at death's door, unable to stand or lift his arms....but was able to then go play drums for two hours.

Then came the apology:

Mike Portnoy has apologised to anyone offended by his health service rant after a visit to Accident & Emergency in London on Saturday.

The drummer caused controversy after issuing a “no thanks” message to London’s Whittington Hospital on Saturday. He’d had to leave their A&E ward without medical attention in order to perform with the Neal Morse Band at the Islington Assembly Hall.

His Facebook post generated nearly 3000 responses in 24 hours, with some offering support and others suggesting his ego had got the better of him. One comment even came from a Whittington staff doctor.

Now Portnoy says: “I'd just like to apologise to anybody I offended. It was not a personal attack or rage against England's health care system in general, of which I know nothing.

“Yesterday I was the sickest I've ever been in my life. Paramedics came to see me at the gig and decided to take me to the emergency room – only for the ambulance to run out of gas. I was then driven to the hospital by a very kind fan.

“Neal and I calmly waited in the A&E without any indication of when I would be seen. I did not expect any special treatment, or want to be put ahead of anybody else in need, as I have been so wrongly accused. We only wanted some – any – answers as the clock was ticking until showtime.”

Portnoy says he got to the point where he had to decide to keep waiting or return to the venue, and finally left with 15 minutes before he was to take the stage. He continues: “I played the show in the worst physical condition of my life. I'm sure you can imagine how frustrating this experience was, and I stupidly posted about it on my social media.

But he adds: “I am shocked and appalled at some of the rude and downright nasty comments that have been posted. It's sad to see such hatred – but I can suck it up and take it.

“I surely never meant for such attention and controversy. Thank you to everybody that cared and sent me well wishes and prayers. The positive vibes will help me on the road to recovery.”

Mike was severely ill, and was advised not to go on stage

Bandmate Neal Morse has posted in support of Portnoy, saying: “No one made a scene – we were all very polite. I did most of the talking as Mike was pretty out of it.

“I found a nurse who kindly looked him up in the computer to see where he was in the queue, and said he wouldn't be seen for quite a while and there was no way to change that.

“So Mike opted to go back and do the gig untreated.That's what happened as best I can tell it.”

Morse – who says he’d suffered the same “nasty” illness earlier on the tour – adds: “Mike was never rude to anyone at all. This is being blown way out of proportion. The fact that he did the gig as well as he did is a testimony to what a workhorse kind of guy he is.”

Bill Evans, executive producer with Portnoy’s band Flying Colors, is a former emergency medical professional – and insists Portnoy’s main concern was his fans.

Evans says: “I can attest that Mike was severely ill, and was advised not to go on stage by myself and others.

“He wasn’t upset because of his own comfort or an expectation regarding his identity. It was because of all the fans he would be letting down, including quite a few who flew in from around the world. Anyone who follows Mike knows this.”

He adds: “Artists at all levels sometimes choose, or need, to go on stage when very sick. They do it for their fans. Thank you to those of you who do this – you have my utmost respect.”

The drummer played as planned with Morse in Belgium last night, and aims to continue with the band’s European tour until it finishes on March 14.