The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

was gonna start a new thread about this, but i thought i'd keep it in here to stop random nob heads posting junk. Everyone post an unsung gem (more than one if you want). Try and keep to a band that you discovered in some kind of way and never got any real kind of deserved media exposure. Ever since i became a serious music fan (around 14-15) ive never been satisfied with what the press feeds me, ive always gone a little obscure, i'll always read the little reviews in magazines and stuff and try unearthing something, or i'll browse random shit online.

When i first got into it downloading music wasn't around so we used to bank on free cd's with music magazines and stuff to get our fix, we'd also ween through record fairs for cheap shit, it was a great time and it's definately something that younger people these will never experience and it's a shame. Anyway's enough of my fucking babbling here's a band i'll recommend:

Unjust

unjust_web.jpg

i remember reading a small review in Kerrang for the bands debut album Thin Line Emotions in '99 and thought it would be up my street, so without hearing a note of music i picked up the album at Spillers Records in Cardiff. The album cover bosts a sticker comparing the band to Machine Head crossed with the Deftones which kinda nails it at that time. Press wise i never read anything about em again but thanks to the intenet i kept up with them. The band went on to release 4 albums and are at this point basically just a 'local band' that plays random shows in the Bay Area. Such a shame as the band have put out 4 brilliant fucking albums, the 3rd and 4th (which was released by themselves, no record label) albums Glow & To Lose A Name kinda toned down the heaviness and upped the melody. No bullshit trends just great tunes, great melodies, and an awesome Patton-esque vocalist. Just solid alternative model that deserves to be heard. If some of the bigger bands about had Unjust's tunes they would be massive.

Criminally underrated.

some tunes...

Unjust - Throwing Pennies (from the Glow album)

Unjust - It's Not Enough (from the To Lose A Name album)

Unjust - Facepaint (from the Glow album)

Unjust - Stained (from the Thin Line Emotions album)

Unjust - Come Feel Me (from the Makeshift Grey album)

Bit of everything there, some of the heavier stuff and the more melodic stuff. All their songs are available through the links above, just goto the playlist.

Pimp me some shit!

Edited by Ebb

in an update to the latest ticket fleecing job that Manowar have got going on, you can now buy the 'Ticket n' Track Pack' from www.metalhammer.co.uk/manowar . Ticket to the gig and the download of the track from the new album. Seriously, this is getting a fucking joke now. I ended up forking out for the 'Warrior Pack' (ticket, magazine, CD and download). Manowar are a band I've always wanted to see, but this whole clusterfuck of seeling tickets to the tour has fucked me right off.

Manowar: Battle Hymns 2011 Tour- brought to you by Joey DiMaio/Gene Simmons

Ebb.

Get your ears around this:

Was one of those 'fusion' metal/dance bands, who 'almost' made it in the mid to late 90's, their live shows were absolutely blistering (there's a show on youtube as well) and they were all stand up guys, but their career highlight was an appearance on a Metal Hammer front cover CD.

They had something, it needed developing sadly it wasn't picked up on, they didn't get signed and they faded away.

Couple more songs of theirs:

That's probably the only 4 tracks you'll hear by them these days. Their demo tapes/CD's are pretty hard to come by. But they are still fondly remembered by a lot of the London scene.

Edited by DJ Stevie C

• Paid Members
Won tickets to Bloodstock. Jackpot!

nice! im going Sunday, my mates didn't fancy the weekend this year (mainly due to the Saturday lineup), so it's a one day job...still great lineup.

Napalm Death, Exodus, At The Gates, Morbid Angel, Motorhead :thumbsup:

• Paid Members
Ebb.

Get your ears around this:

Was one of those 'fusion' metal/dance bands, who 'almost' made it in the mid to late 90's, their live shows were absolutely blistering (there's a show on youtube as well) and they were all stand up guys, but their career highlight was an appearance on a Metal Hammer front cover CD.

They had something, it needed developing sadly it wasn't picked up on, they didn't get signed and they faded away.

Couple more songs of theirs:

That's probably the only 4 tracks you'll hear by them these days. Their demo tapes/CD's are pretty hard to come by. But they are still fondly remembered by a lot of the London scene.

that's the kind of shit i would have been all over back in the day. Reminds me of this lot...

brilliant band, saw em live once and they blew my mind, so much energy and catchy as shit.

They only released 2 singles/ep's as far as i know, all the tunes were awesome though. Can't believe they never brought out an album.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members
Has anyone got the 5 disc Peace Sells yet? And is it any good??

Don't know about the 5-discer but I downloaded the 2-disc version today. The live concert from 1987 is brilliant. :thumbsup:

Edited by martyngnr

nice! im going Sunday, my mates didn't fancy the weekend this year (mainly due to the Saturday lineup), so it's a one day job...still great lineup.

Napalm Death, Exodus, At The Gates, Morbid Angel, Motorhead :thumbsup:

What? Saturday is the only day I'm actually going too!

Tarot have been one of my favourite bands for 8 years and in 25 years together, they have NEVER played England before. So I am beyond excited to see them.

Not only are Immortal headlining, but Ihsahn is playing the same day so this is going to be the closest you're ever going to get to see Emperor and Immortal in the same day. Wintersun are no slouches either in the folk/black/death metal stakes either.

Been a big fan of Therion for a long while and even travelled to see them in London, Grave Digger were ironically supporting then too. Not really heard that much of the last album but loved Gothic Kaballah, Lemuria/Sirius B, Deggial and Theli. Still sucks that they have new singers all the time as Mat Levens was perfect for that band.

Finntroll are also a fun band to see live.

The only band I have doubts over is Rhapsody (Of Fire).... How they managed the semi-main event slow I'll never know.

• Paid Members

Saturday don't really do it for me, i'd love to see Immortal though. I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the bands on the Saturday but half the fun of a festival like Bloodstock is seeing loads of random bands you usually wouldn't see. Fuck it, Sunday will be great!

• Paid Members

Hammerfest IV has been announced for next March (16th & 17th), headliner of one day is Anthrax! great news! Paradise Lost, Chimaira, Lawnmower Deth and Fury UK also announced.

Went to this years, fucking brilliant. Can't recommend it enough.