MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

Yes, Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard 2 at UFC 125: Resolution!

I thought the rematch in Texas was better :p

I didn't know that. I love the second Edgar/Maynard fight. The 2011 Fight of the Year and one of the best fights in UFC history, I'd have it high up on that list.

Like wandshogun09's entry for Fitch/Silva, Fitch's performance was one of the surprises of the year.

wandshogun09, how did you score Melendez/Thomson? I gave it to Thomson 3-2.

It also isn't odd for you to place Tate/Rousey third, I did and it made jimufctna24's top three. Best womens MMA fight I've ever watched.

You surprised me with your #1 pick, I thought it was going to be Sung-Jung/Poirier.

Edited by The Natural

• Paid Members

i cant remember how i scored Thomson/Melendez 3, i think it was for Thomson though...id need to go back and find the thread.

Glad that you included Woodley/Marquadt as well, definitly the forgotten fight of the year.

• Paid Members
wandshogun09, how did you score Melendez/Thomson? I gave it to Thomson 3-2.

I had it 3-2 Melendez.

Rd 1 - Melendez 10-9

Rd 2 - Melendez 10-9

Rd 3 - Melendez 10-9

Rd 4 - Thomson 10-9

Rd 5 - Thomson 10-9

That's how I scored it. But the 3rd round was very close and I could see a case for giving the round to Thomson. Great fight but I felt Melendez did win. I didn't agree with people crying robbery in a fight that close. A robbery to me is when one guy clearly wins yet still loses on the cards, like Edgar vs Henderson 2 for example. A fight like this, which could logically be scored either way, isn't a robbery.

I still wouldn't mind seeing a 4th though.

Edited by wandshogun09

I agree with Wand's top 3. I may have Vera vs Shogun higher (top 5) but still a great list.

Funnily enough 2012 best moments for me did not involve fights of the years.

The Diaz vs Condit Primetime shows were some of the best preview shows the UFC has produced. The whole build up and aftermath of that fight was compelling. The fight kept me on my toes as well, if I care about something I invest time in it more. The Chael vs Anderson build, hype and atmosphere were some of the most enjoyable times I have had with MMA. The fight was dramatic as well.

Anderson making a mockery out of Bonnar will always shine through as a great moment. Anderson was at his skillful best that night and I fucking loved it. Machida knocking out Bader also will remain a good memory. JDS vs Mir also provided me with a lot of enjoyment, both the hype and the actual fight. Glover is my new face of the year, I have warmed to him more than any other newcomer in 2012. Other than maybe Ronda Rousey who's fights I cared and enjoyed more than anything on Strikeforce and 99% of what the UFC put out.

Sadly a lot past me by in 2012.

Jones vs Rashad I had little interest in, despite the feud and high importance. I just did not warm to either, by the end of the year I had warmed to Jones who may just be the best MMA fighter ever (only Anderson I feel can argue that) and he is the best in the world right now. I think despite his flaws and bible bumming, he may just be a decent guy.

Tito vs Forrest was one of my low-lights. Two guys doing what they did 6 years previous, just older. slower and in the case of Forrest lazier. It was not a bad fight, but I found it a depressing nostalgia trip. Its a shame because Tito was who hooked me to MMA, and I really like him for that. Forrest in 2012 is irrelevant to me though, and he is becoming that to the sport. 2008 seems a long time ago in regards to him.

Edgar vs Bendo I did not care about, even the robbery in the 2nd fight I did not care as much as I should. TUF was a mixed bag, Smashes was very good, TUF Live was horrible and I gave up on the Nelson series after 2 episodes it was that stale. GSP's return I was jaded by, but the fight was very good and my opinion of Condit went up greatly.

So it was a hit and miss year, it was very good at times and very bad at times. Injuries will factor into that. 2013 should be better.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
The Diaz vs Condit Primetime shows were some of the best preview shows the UFC has produced. The whole build up and aftermath of that fight was compelling. The fight kept me on my toes as well, if I care about something I invest time in it more. The Chael vs Anderson build, hype and atmosphere were some of the most enjoyable times I have had with MMA. The fight was dramatic as well.

Yeah, both of these were highlights for me as well. I still think Diaz vs Condit was the best Primetime series yet. By fight time I was hugely caught up in that whole thing and Primetime was a massive part of that.

Anderson vs Chael 2 was the bigtime feel fight of 2012 no doubt. That whole run-up in the Summer just felt huge and special.

JDS vs Mir also provided me with a lot of enjoyment, both the hype and the actual fight.

Oh yes. Few moments last year gave me more enjoyment than watching Cigano systematically take apart Frank Mir.

tumblr_m4ol22LyJf1r81fefo1_400.gif

Ha.

Glover is my new face of the year, I have warmed to him more than any other newcomer in 2012.

Despite my posts maybe indicating otherwise, I've really warmed to Glover as well. I do feel people have got a bit carried away prematurely but I can kind of understand. He seems like a really nice guy as well, kind of like a Shogun vibe to him for me. Just a quiet, soft spoken guy who turns into an animal in the cage.

I'm certainly looking forward to 2013 in regards to Glover because, no doubt, this will be the sink or swim year for him. Or at least the year we find out if he's what he's been cracked up to be. He's getting his first really big fight in a few weeks against a legit test in Rampage. Say what you want about Rampage but if he's healthy, he's still a handful for anyone at 205 not named Jones. So we'll find out a lot about Glover there. If he wins that, then it's only bigger fights ahead.

Other than maybe Ronda Rousey who's fights I cared and enjoyed more than anything on Strikeforce and 99% of what the UFC put out.

Rousey has been the breakthrough star in MMA the last 12 months for sure. This year will be massive for her. In fairness Strikeforce delivered some great shows this year considering they were a lame duck promotion. The Barnett vs Cormier, Rousey vs Tate were especially fantastic. And the other shows usually had at least one killer fight on them like Marquardt vs Woodley and Tate vs Kedzie.

I hope this final show turns out to be a surprise corker. Strikeforce were a great company to follow, it would be a shame to see them go out with a whimper.

Jones vs Rashad I had little interest in, despite the feud and high importance. I just did not warm to either, by the end of the year I had warmed to Jones who may just be the best MMA fighter ever (only Anderson I feel can argue that) and he is the best in the world right now. I think despite his flaws and bible bumming, he may just be a decent guy.

I'm with you on that. Well, I was massively into the fight in the build up, mostly because I'm a big Rashad bummer and I was pulling for him to do the undoable. But the fight was such a one sided, uncompetitive one and Rashad was so ineffective, which is a credit to Jones, that it fell flat for me.

I've found myself liking Jones a bit more as well. Mostly after the UFC 151 thing to be honest. He got a raw deal off Dana there and he handled it very well. He did do some stupid shit like the DUI but hopefully he'll have learned from that. I think he's probably always been a nice guy at heart but being so young and having all this success out of nowhere in such a short space of time had to effect him. I think he's showing signs of handling it a bit better now, particularly in light of 151-gate.

Smashes was very good

The Smashes was one of the things I enjoyed most last year. Defo the most I've enjoyed TUF since season 10. I loved TUF Brazil last year as well. I've got a feeling I'm gonna be liking the international TUFs more than the 'proper' TUFs as they do more. The international ones just have a different feel and it's a great snapshot of how MMA is doing in other parts of the world when you see the talent on those shows and the different ways they approach the sport.

GSP's return I was jaded by, but the fight was very good and my opinion of Condit went up greatly.

Why jaded on GSP's return? The reluctance to the Silva superfight maybe? Aside from that, I thought it was a hell of a return. Best fight he's had in years and he showed heart a lot of people doubted he had to come through that headkick and to keep pushing through despite Condit's unbreakable will.

And Condit, for a guy who lost almost a shutout and got beat down pretty badly, he came out of that looking great I thought. So nearly pulled it off and never stopped trying.

To add to the non-fight highlights of 2012, here's a few more of my personal favourite moments of the year;

*Best UFC Press Conference ever;

sonnen-belt.jpg

(From just before UFC on FOX 2. Everyone's on fine form here. Sonnen, Bisping, Rashad, Phil Davis and Dana. The link above is a 10 minute highlight version but the full thing's on Youtube if you look).

*The Bonnar/Griffin UFC 153 trailer;

*Matt Riddle goes off on one about "Butter-toothed Brits";

(I fucking love that)

*This...

Edson%20Barboza%20Spinning%20Heel%20Kicks%20Terry%20Etim%20-%20UFC%20142%20(Multiple%20Angles).gif

*Joe Lauzon vs Nick the Tooth;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f2S7hmUuhA

(From the Dana video blog the week of UFC 155)

*Chael Sonnen's appearance on Joe Rogan's podcast;

*Fight Factory;

Fight-Factory_medium_medium_medium_medium_medium.jpg

(A great series of documentaries on the AKA camp)

*Anderson Silva: Like Water;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3DSpUC68Us

(Yeah, technically this was made earlier but it hit the net in 2012. And it's excellent and needs posting at every opportunity so I don't care)

*The 2 excellent Ariel Helwani/Rampage in-depth interviews;

Tokyo -

New York -

(Well worth a watch. Despite Rampage being a whiny bollocks in recent years, there are parts of these two videos make me remember why I'm a fan of his)

*Joe Rogan loses his shit over the Boetsch vs Okami comeback;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpdApGhI86s

*Chael Sonnen calls Matt Hughes a jerk;

*Badass UFC in China trailer;

*Pretty much everything this fucker did was quality;

A7I7lJWCUAAiT4n-1.jpg

*Alternative UFC 143: Diaz vs Condit trailer;

:laugh:

*Anderson Silva and Jon Jones kidnapped and forced to fight;

*Jon Jones - Believe Your Eyes;

*Rashad Evans - The Payback;

(Short UFC 145 hype video. Rashad AND James Brown. What's not to love?)

*Epic ending to Diaz vs Condit Primetime;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mONbjjNPzaA

(I know we touched on this already but it deserves a link so there it is.)

"Who makes these questions up? These are all tricks, this is all bullshit. I'm low on water, I'm low on calories, I'm low on food, I'm low on energy and I'm, moreso than anything, low on patience with...with anything...that takes patience. If you ask me something stupid then I'm gonna answer it with something stupid and if I hear myself talk something stupid and I'm really pissed off, depressed and bent out of shape about it...I might throw a fuckin' really serious fit for no fuckin' reason".

*Zombie Prophet's UFC Christmas;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJx3ntkzkI8

You know, looking back it wasn't that bad a year.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

yeh it was a good year, the low-point from a fight standpoint was without the doubt the injury crisis, we lost so many good fights last year, and it got to the point where injuries wern't even surprising me and fight accouncements wern't exciting me because i knew they'd change.

2013 is lining up to be the best MMA year yet though, the UFC with the addition of Strikeforce now have the strongest roster ever without doubt. Bellator's Spike venture starts with their best looking shows yet and their reality show. The World Series of Fighting are meant to kick back into gear at the end of January as well. It's gonna be a busy one.

Wand- Even after 18 months GSP still felt like old-ground. After years of hearing him say the same things before fights on numerous countdown specials and interviews, I could not get excited during the build-up.

I forgot about Fight Factory, what a great show. The finale was some of the finest comedy on TV this year, the production made TUF look passe. Like Water is the best documentary MMA has as well.

I hope Bellator does climb in 2013, but in this climate where MMA is overexposed and my cynical nature towards companies who try and go big-time, I feel it will phase out as the year passes on. It will keep its TV deal and maybe stay as popular as it is now, but I cannot see it getting as big as Strikeforce was in say 2010.

Howdy, long time lurker, first time poster. As someone who only started getting into MMA at start of 2011, and since then only really seen UFC, I enjoyed last year. Found that I enjoyed more cards than in 2011, rather than just individual fights, which was more of a case in 2011. Probably as much due to becoming better acquainted with fighters and their histories. Along with the cards already mentioned, I enjoyed the Heavyweight broadside of UFC 146, especially Cain turning the Octagon into a sasquatch abbattoir, and the UFC on Fuel 5 card in Nottingham, just wish Paul Sass had won but my heart was in my throat throughout those 4 minutes with Wiman

• Paid Members

Welcome Daughters. That sounds a bit wrong actually. Good first post.

I'm with Jim on this though. I loved 'Like Water'. And I was worried going in that it wouldn't do justice to just how brilliant Anderson Silva is. It actually surpassed my expectations to be honest.

I really like 'The Smashing Machine' though, and 'Choke'. All great viewing and I get the view that the old school stuff has it's own charm. Sometimes I go through spells where I just watch loads of the older stuff. Raw, grainy footage. Fat blokes, blokes with Tom Selleck 'taches, guys in white vests, ball shots, headbutts, middle aged ring girls. It was a magical time.

The second point I quoted I agree with, Chael has moved up several leagues. Not just my preference for blondes, the girl he is with in Like Water is really not up too much.

See, I'm much more into brunettes but I agree Chael's blonde was a fairly big step up.

578965_334147523317197_249019455163338_851447_410656523_n.jpg

Well played.

I'll tell you who's punching above his weight, Matt Serra;

s187399147.jpg

Well, it would be hard to punch above the weight he's probably at now but you know what I mean. He's done very well there.

Mir as well, the twat;

jennifermir_display_image.jpg

EDIT....

And speaking of MMA and weddings, check out this photo of Wandy's wedding;

ek2o9v.jpg

:laugh:

The Wandy staredown. On his fucking wedding day! I bet the vicar shit himself.

Edited by wandshogun09

Cheers for the warm welcome chaps! Also I like Mrs Serra. A wife who looks like that and lets you get fat? Some internationally renowned, 3rd degree black belt, funny-as-fuck former Welterweight champions get all the luck.

Jim, not surprised to hear that The Smashing Machine was hated by MMA fans. By focusing on an individual like Kerr, there was inevitably going to draw assumptions that MMA was rife with drug abuse and lawlessly brutal (especially the WVC and confusion over Igor's knees on the ground). For a non-fan watching, it would reinforce a lot of the hearsay, rumour and some misrepresentations about MMA that has existed since Telia Tuli's teeth flew into the front row, and still do today. It is monumentally depressing, now very dated, representative of only one individual and not the sport as a whole, but there is no way the compelling image of Kerr having his face stitched up wouldn't stick with anyone who watched it.

If it that had focused on someone like recent retiree Dan Severn as the subject, I suspect it would have given a much more positive and professional impression of MMA, but would have been a far more dull documentary as a whole (obviously bar the suplexes, 'tasche and high-waist-banded-budgie-smugglers that the Beast would bring to the table). I don't enjoy it as much as Like Water, just can't shake the impact, which I guess is why I think its a more affecting documentary despite its negative impact on the sport. I will most definitely be following your sound advice and not watching it when I need cheering up!

The moustaches definitely seem to be a highlight of the early days of MMA. Don Frye's is especially luxurious. Loved that he was also working as a fireman whilst fighting. If you ever needed evidence of how brave he was, don't just look at his fights, look at the fact he ran into burning buildings with that fiend of a 'tasche on his face. Surely facial hair so thick and substantial must have been a flammable disaster just waiting to go up in flames?

What are you favourite "day jobs" of fighters both of the past and, I guess due to the relative small pay offs prelim/regional fighters receive, the present?

Speaking from a female point of view, Chael is an ugly fucker wig a lopsided face, and the charm of a dishcloth so yes he did well. On the the the hand Serra is ok looking and Frank Mir is actually quite cute (which is why your girlfriends like him) even when he'silooking porky, he's still quite cute.

Wandy looks hilarious in a tux, and his wife seems to share his stare!

• Paid Members
Speaking from a female point of view, Chael is an ugly fucker wig a lopsided face, and the charm of a dishcloth so yes he did well.

Heh. Now now, you'll upset Jim with that kind of talk about his man.

On the the the hand Serra is ok looking

You like MMA's Joe Pesci, deathrey? Have you seen him post-pasta?

2pt28a1mc02tinfj6lzx_thumb.jpg

:smug:

and Frank Mir is actually quite cute (which is why your girlfriends like him) even when he'silooking porky, he's still quite cute.

There is a four letter word beginning with 'C' which often springs to mind when I see Mir, cute isn't it though.

Wandy looks hilarious in a tux, and his wife seems to share his stare!

The Silvas are not to be fucked with. Even if you're a vicar. I bet Wand didn't even wait for instruction to kiss the bride.