Worst Event of 2009

tiger_rick

Worst Event of 2009?  

110 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Has to be one of the Raws for me.

Don't get me wrong Victory Road was rubbish but then again it is one of only three TNA events I saw last year - maybe it made more sense to their fans. WM was the Most Disappointing event of the year but still had some good matches and having seen every WM so far I wouldn't even call it the worst 'Mania. The Bash had arguably the best PPV match of the entire year. I didn't see those other two WWE PPVs so I can't comment.

Hmmm, I think I'll go for the Raw after Royal Rumble as the ultimate momentum killer following the surprisingly good job they'd done building up Orton the week before.

I generally reckon a Worst Show award should go to something which the promotion is asking you to pay money to see. Hence, I don't mind if a Raw is shitty, as it's not like I would have been asked to shell cash out just to see that.

Therefore, Victory Road "wins"... even though we as brits didn't have to spend anything to see it.

• Paid Members
I generally reckon a Worst Show award should go to something which the promotion is asking you to pay money to see. Hence, I don't mind if a Raw is shitty, as it's not like I would have been asked to shell cash out just to see that.

Therefore, Victory Road "wins"... even though we as brits didn't have to spend anything to see it.

Yeah, but people did have to pay to attend live, so RAW still counts under that rationale.

• Paid Members
How anyone can vote anything OTHER than WrestleMania 25 is beyond me. There's so much expectation put on WM to deliver and yet last year's edition just rode by on name alone.

Come on, they had 'Taker/HBK on that card - that was a great performance, even if it was over-rated. It was definitely WM worthy, and whilst a WM should be better than a one-match card, WM9 it ain't. And it was certainly a lot better than Night Of Champions or the Christmas edition of RAW.

How anyone can vote anything OTHER than WrestleMania 25 is beyond me. There's so much expectation put on WM to deliver and yet last year's edition just rode by on name alone.

Come on, they had 'Taker/HBK on that card - that was a great performance, even if it was over-rated. It was definitely WM worthy, and whilst a WM should be better than a one-match card, WM9 it ain't. And it was certainly a lot better than Night Of Champions or the Christmas edition of RAW.

No word of a lie, I prefer Wrestlemania 9 to Wrestlemania 25. Without a shadow of a doubt. Michaels/Taker was the nuts, but they've done it before (and once better), and 9's got the old childhood memories running through it too. I suppose this is as much knee-jerking as over-loving something, but I'm inclined to agree with the WM25 hate, I watched it just the other day from start to finish and it was a right fucking slog. The crowd were asleep until Michaels/Taker, and fucked after it.

Hindsight is 20/20 and everything, but huge, huge mistakes were made with the Jericho match, Mickey Rourke, Kid Rock, Hardy vs Hardy and Orton vs HHH, in both card placement and booking. MITB passes by default as all of them do as it's a million guys and a ladder, but outside of the Taker/HBK and every single thing John Cena does on the show, WM25 can swivel. It even ranks below 13 in my eyes, because Austin/Bret was WAY more important and pivotal in the long run than Shawn/UT, and the Nation/LOD & Ahmed match murders anything else 25 has in support. I can only think of WM2, WM18 and, to a lesser extent, WM11 that I desperately struggle to sit through start to finish, but 25 has breezed onto my list.

I enjoyed the handicap match with Jericho and the Steamboat performance was a highlight of the year. I felt that HBK and The Undertaker surpassed my expectations. I thought Cena/Edge/Show was decent. I enjoyed the opening spotfest. I enjoyed the farewell for Steve Austin. I enjoyed the battle of the Hardys.

All in all, there was enough there for me to like so as there is no way I could consider the show as my worst of the year.

Much of it actually surpassed my expectations actually, so I don't think that was ever a problem with me. Do I think it was a great show ? Not really, but it was good enough, and fit well with the consistancy of shows this year.

No word of a lie, I prefer Wrestlemania 9 to Wrestlemania 25. Without a shadow of a doubt. Michaels/Taker was the nuts, but they've done it before (and once better), and 9's got the old childhood memories running through it too. I suppose this is as much knee-jerking as over-loving something, but I'm inclined to agree with the WM25 hate, I watched it just the other day from start to finish and it was a right fucking slog. The crowd were asleep until Michaels/Taker, and fucked after it.

Hindsight is 20/20 and everything, but huge, huge mistakes were made with the Jericho match, Mickey Rourke, Kid Rock, Hardy vs Hardy and Orton vs HHH, in both card placement and booking. MITB passes by default as all of them do as it's a million guys and a ladder, but outside of the Taker/HBK and every single thing John Cena does on the show, WM25 can swivel. It even ranks below 13 in my eyes, because Austin/Bret was WAY more important and pivotal in the long run than Shawn/UT, and the Nation/LOD & Ahmed match murders anything else 25 has in support. I can only think of WM2, WM18 and, to a lesser extent, WM11 that I desperately struggle to sit through start to finish, but 25 has breezed onto my list.

13 wasn't a bad show if you chop the main event in half (or chop it of it completely). Not sure I'd put it over XXV but you are right about their respective big matches. I like both but Austin/Hart smokes Michaels/Taker. I don't mind WrestleMania II. Bulldogs/Dream Team and Funks/JYD & Santana are probably the best straight tag team matches I've seen at a WrestleMania, Hogan/Bundy isn't as bad as people seem to think (it is almost like everyone presumes it sucks but it doesn't really) and that powerslam out of the corner is ace, and as far as battle royals go the one there is at least a bit of fun. If Hogan/SAvage and Bret/Steamboat (both of which were supposedly planned at one point) had gone ahead for the show and the tag matches stayed the same I think it could be the best WrestleMania of the 80s. Unfortunately the bad stuff is really bad which drags it down. I'm with you on WMX8 being a letdown - they had such a good roster at that point that I really expected something better.