[Nominations] Pro-Wrestler of the Year 2009

tiger_rick

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Jericho has been the absolute man for the past two years.

I also realised this morning that Dragon Gate's Susumu Yokosuka might not have had a conventionally outstanding year, but he was in three of the best matches I saw in 2009 (vs. Shingo in Oxford, & KAGETORA vs. CIMA & Gamma (6/8, Korakuen Hall. Aired on DG Infinity #142) and vs. Naruki Doi (25/10, Hakata Star Lane. Aired on Infinity #152)), so I'm nominating him too.

Rey Mysterio - Strong showings in the Royal Rumble and at No Way Out, cracking series with Jericho including a couple of MOTYCs, gave Ziggler and Morrison their best matches, team with Batista had the best match anyone did with JerriShow and then when he and 'The Animal' had their split he capped off the year with some underdog performances against him.

Christian - Did a good job coming across as the big fish in a small pond and had plenty of good matches with the whole variety of opponents he was thrown from Swagger to Henry to Kidd to Dreamer to Ryder to Regal to Benjamin to Tatsu. Childsy is spot on about him being the most consistent performer of the year on a weekly basis, although I'd go further and say he has been the best wrestler they've had since the start of the new ECW.

Chris Jericho - Was my pick for this last year and he had another strong year in '09. When you combine the stuff against Rourke and the Legends, the feud with Steamboat, the short-lived team with Edge, the 'thrown together' JerriShow's ability to develop into a proper team and have more interesting matches with Cryme Tyme and MVP & Henry than the Harts or Legacy managed (despite plenty of practice in both cases) and the actual quality of matches with Cena and Mysterio you could even argue he had a better year than last year.

John Cena - Second best career year behind 2007. Quality PPV matches with familiar opponents Edge and Orton, really good TV matches with Michaels, Jericho and Triple H on Raw and the February one with Big Show on SmackDown! (shame their match quality seemed to deteriorate as the feud wore on), and then part of one of the strongest Triple Threat matches I've seen in ages at Survivor Series.