General politics discussion thread

David

He's chosen his words very carefully, but this is clearly just the groundwork. Laying the foundations for an attack on worker's rights.

Of course it is. The current regime know fine well that the plans they have for cutting jobs & services will result in widespread anger and trade union action. They have to stop it somehow, and the fact that they are blatantly talking about changing the laws to make it even more difficult to take strike action (despite the UK currently having some of the most undemocratic laws in Europe when it comes to strike action already) shows how they intend to deal with any resistance.

Do we expect anything else from the 'Tories and their lapdogs the Lib Dems?

Sorry to butt in but I know a guy who's a proper hardcore Tory. Happens to be gay and is a blogger and a member of the LGBTory group. One thing I love is how he goes on about how the Conservative "common sense" agenda is held hostage by the Lib Dems and their "strange whims". He makes them sound like the thin red line.

This would be the tory party that created clause 28, banning the promotion of homosexuality in schools (in essence, banning teachers from sayng it was ok to be gay) and then voted against removing this?

They have a LGBtory group?

Presumably they all get together to get bollocked by anne widdecombe for being filthy and unclean.

Most odd.

This would be the tory party that created clause 28, banning the promotion of homosexuality in schools (in essence, banning teachers from sayng it was ok to be gay) and then voted against removing this?

They have a LGBtory group?

Presumably they all get together to get bollocked by anne widdecombe for being filthy and unclean.

Most odd.

Didn't suggest it was normal! That's fo sho.

The great trick the Tory press have pulled off so far is convincing people that the blame for the government's unpopular decisions rests with the Lib Dems! Thin red line indeed.

What I found funny about Vince Cables speech yesterday was the fact that Trade Unions are seen purely for starting and conducting strikes these days, even to the point where their members boo when stopping a strike is mentioned, when theres not even a strike planned yet.

This is enough to back up any government claims that tougher strike and union laws should be in place. Recession? What recession?

The RMT said the offer of a 4.5% rise this year, and inflation plus 0.25% for the next four years, was not enough.

Last week, RMT leader Bob Crow said he wanted a deal similar to one agreed for Network Rail staff - a 10% rise over two years and a one-off

Do you realise Dammer, that the legal obstacles to strikes in Britain are already the most restrictive in any liberal democracy, and are contrary to international law? This in a country that claims to be a shining beacon of democracy for the rest of the world to follow?

The current regime won't be happy until they finally make taking strike action illegal.

Do you realise Dammer, that the legal obstacles to strikes in Britain are already the most restrictive in any liberal democracy, and are contrary to international law? This in a country that claims to be a shining beacon of democracy for the rest of the world to follow?

The current regime won't be happy until they finally make taking strike action illegal.

Im aware of it being said that it is but im yet to be told how and in what way it is. I think strike law is very fair but if somebody can tell me why it is so restrictive im all ears.

What I found funny about Vince Cables speech yesterday was the fact that Trade Unions are seen purely for starting and conducting strikes these days, even to the point where their members boo when stopping a strike is mentioned, when theres not even a strike planned yet.

This is enough to back up any government claims that tougher strike and union laws should be in place. Recession? What recession?

The RMT said the offer of a 4.5% rise this year, and inflation plus 0.25% for the next four years, was not enough.

Last week, RMT leader Bob Crow said he wanted a deal similar to one agreed for Network Rail staff - a 10% rise over two years and a one-off

You know what? Since 2008, I've seen a payrise of 0.0 in 2009, 0.9% in 2010 and 2.7% in 2011, when we've been winning business hand over fist and are doing very well as a business. The group share price has dipped in that time but is still pretty much the same as it was at its heights. If the RMT could deliver me a 10% payrise over two years and a

You know what? Since 2008, I've seen a payrise of 0.0 in 2009, 0.9% in 2010 and 2.7% in 2011, when we've been winning business hand over fist and are doing very well as a business. The group share price has dipped in that time but is still pretty much the same as it was at its heights. If the RMT could deliver me a 10% payrise over two years and a

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...sector-pensions

Really agree with this article on the Guardian blog, especially the bit I highlighted.

Public sector pensions are facing a highly political attack

When we in the PCS union announced the result of our strike vote on Wednesday, Francis Maude declared, "there is no justification for any civil servant going on strike while discussions are continuing".

Today, Danny Alexander, the chief secretary to the Treasury, has proved our union and our members right, and we welcome the decision of the headteachers' union to ballot for action in the autumn. Alexander has now publicly said what ministers have been saying in private for weeks, in effect: "We're happy to talk, but we will raise the pension age, increase contributions, lower accrual rates and we've already imposed reduced indexation through CPI". What's left to negotiate?

My union and others engaged in the talks in the honest hope of a settlement. We talked with the previous government, when part of the ministerial team was John (now Lord) Hutton, and the agreement reached in 2006 was described by Labour cabinet ministers as "a properly negotiated settlement" that "saved

Anybody want to explain to me why the Greek's would rather their country go bankrupt then accept the austerity measures put forward by thier Government?

Because whats the worst that will happen either way? They basically dont want to be saddled with the debt of the austerity measures as it will limit them for decades. Its seen as an easy option to go bankrupt and start again.