The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

I didn't see this coming. I've been away all weekend and having to make do with checking the score on my phone at the end of each day. Looking at the score from last night and then seeing India's score at lunch made me think that Tendulkar might just hold on and finally get his century as well as saving the game for England. Swann spinning his magic has certainly done the trick taking wickets galore in this innings and Bresnan prevented Sachin from celebrating. Looks like it'll have to wait for the ODI series.

• Paid Members

Incredible afternoon display. England are fucking great!

I'm not terribly sympathetic towards Tendulkar for not getting his 100th international ton. He should have played the test series in the West Indies rather than wanting to spend time with his family as he alleges. If he wanted time off, he should have missed some or all of the shitty IPL. Test cricket is dying in some parts of the world, its highest scoring player of all time should be setting an example rather than sitting on his arse and opting for some endless 20/20 tournament.

This phrase 'daddy hundred' is already starting to get on my tits.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Brilliant, wasn't it? And about time, as well. I think Lancashire might have won this title without a single player averaging over 40 with the bat - I think that was the case last time I checked, anyway. Really chuffed for them and especially for Glen Chapple who has been one of the most underrated players in the country for over 15 years now, and really should have won a chunk of international honours.

What a day of county cricket! The day started with Warwickshire looking as though they were favourites to win and just needed to continue steam rolling through Hampshire to take a victory and the title. McKenzie and Carberry played absolutely brilliant innings over the course of the day to resist and ultimately cost Warwicks the title. I was in and out from today's coverage on TV, but it looked like that wicket at the Rose Bowl was doing very little and was pretty good to bat on.

The Lancashire run chase was pretty impressive with them knocking off the 211 runs in under 30 overs. I saw a cracking fact that pointed out that today's Lancashire side has only one international cap (belonging to Chapple). Not too bad! We've got a good squad though, and it's about time Lancs won the title after missing out a few times in recent years.

I've been talking about it with a few friends on Twitter, and we're wondering what different not playing at Old Trafford this season has made. The wickets at Aigburth and Blackpool are very good wickets when it comes to getting results...it's just a case of whether being back at Old Trafford for most of next season will still give Lancashire results in their home games.

Regardless, it's been a great season of cricket and it's great to see Lancashire win the title outright for the first time since 1934.

• Paid Members

I'm not sure if the move to Liverpool especially has made as much of a difference as some people think. I think, on average, the pitches at Old Trafford are overall the best in the country. They quite often have everything - pace and bounce, some turn right from the start, but good even bounce that you could get runs on.

Then again, maybe moving away from the notoriously narky members at Old Trafford has helped them a lot more than people might think. Either way, considering the small squad and lack of big name stars, it's a remarkable achievement.

On something different, does anyone listen to Bowl At Boycs on Cricinfo:-

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/vid...4.html?genre=21

It's really fantastic. I know it's a tradition over here to make fun of Boycott but he really is an outstanding mind on the game. I think what I like about him most is that he is NOT your typical stuck in his ways old Yorkshire cricketer. He genuinely embraces new innovations in the game, likes 20/20 and isn't snooty about modern cricket compared to his era. He's fantastic and I could listen to him talk about cricket all day.

Yes, I think Chilton would have been unlucky not to have got a shot at England after Atherton retired as a like-for-like opener.

Steady on. I appreciate how important Chilton's been to the club over the years, but he was never approaching Test class.

I'm not sure if the move to Liverpool especially has made as much of a difference as some people think. I think, on average, the pitches at Old Trafford are overall the best in the country. They quite often have everything - pace and bounce, some turn right from the start, but good even bounce that you could get runs on.

I think it's more to do with Aigburth being a harder surface to score runs on, no-one's saying it's a better pitch than Old Trafford. And fewer days lost to rain has helped.

Bizarrely this is the first season in years I haven't made it to a day of county cricket at Aigburth. Much easier to let it pass you by when there's so many days to choose from.

• Paid Members
Yes, I think Chilton would have been unlucky not to have got a shot at England after Atherton retired as a like-for-like opener.

Steady on. I appreciate how important Chilton's been to the club over the years, but he was never approaching Test class.

I wasn't necessarily saying he was, I said he was unlucky not to at least have been given a chance, especially in 2003 when he was scoring hundreds for fun.

• Moderators
It's really fantastic. I know it's a tradition over here to make fun of Boycott

Not in my fucking presence. Great mind for the game, and is one of the few people who actively point out that we've been playing 20/20 here in midweek club games forever.