OOOLD SCHOOOOL

JLM

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that the Anderson/Sullivan deal was supposed to be completely improvised (to make the boys think it was a shoot, brother) I think the uneasiness and lack of creativity is kind of the point.

I thought that myself. I was even wondering when they decided to go down the route of having that match instead. But the match was shit regardless. This does take me on though and back to Monday Nitro we go.

WCW Nitro 12/02/1996

We run over Superbrawl, before going to the opening match. Guess who's in it ?

Hugh Morrus vs. Randy Savage

It's bad enough that Savage has to wrestle the night after he lost his wife and his title, but he has the pressure of trying to top Hogan fighting off the entire Dungeon of Doom ? I don't envy him. Savage spends a lot of time going after the eye, but I don't think "an eye for an eye" really applies when you're doing it to another person. This is basically Savage mauling Morrus for the entire match. Morrus gets about one move in before missing a Moonsault. Two Flying Elbows and match done. A bit long for a squash, but I was amused.

He wants to apply more damage but Morrus gets out of there thanks to the referee distracting Savage. Savage says he wants Flair and heads to the back.

We are back and Mean Gene is with a driver called Steve Grissom ? Ugh, no idea. They talk about the WCW car, and I could not care less.

Scotty Riggs vs. Loch Ness

The start of the American Males music reminds me of "Dancing With Tears in My Eyes" from Ultravox. This match is hilarious. Firstly, for the amazing no selling of the Scott Riggs Dropkicks. Goes to the second rope and just bounces off him. Magic. Loch Ness then goes on and blows one of the two moves he had to do. The second being an Elbow Drop which gets the win. I got some great enjoyment out of this so I'll chalk this one down as a success.

Mean Gene is at the top of the aisle. Woman and Elizabeth roll out a stretcher. Ric Flair was on the stretcher and he's ever popular here. Flair just goes on a bit about being the champ again, but he's incredibly entertaining doing so. Gene brings up the rematch with Savage next week. He ignores it and continues to ramble, before finding the time to talk about Savage and Hogan. Flair decides to let Elizabeth to share his message. Elizabeth just goes on about taking everything from Randy. Get her off the fucking mic. Flair does this much to my pleasure and goes mental again. :D Ric Flair doesn't really have to say anything to be great to listen to, does he ?

Dangerous Devon Storm vs. Konan

They didn't say anything about this being a title match. I had a feeling that Devon Storm would go mental in this match, and he gets the match going by flying all over the place before being Powerbombed on the floor. Nice to see him living up to my expectations. Konan looks much better than he did in the PPV. Probably because he's in there with someone that can actually move with him. This is basically a spotfest, but some of the spots are really cool and it's weird to see such a match on Nitro. I enjoyed it. AWESOME finish with a Super Bomb into a Jacknife pin from Konan.

Arn Anderson vs. Hulk Hogan

Arn Anderson gets dominated for a bit at the start, which makes Steve McMichael point out "I've never seen someone do this to Arn Anderson.". Has he never seen a match between Arn Anderson and Hulk Hogan ? As always with the good wrestlers, we get something other than the normal Hogan match and once again, it turns out to be very good with Hogan more than willing to play ball. Ric Flair makes his way out and gets into the ring when Hogan puts in the Figure Four Leglock on Anderson, and he locks a Small Package on Flair. :laugh: There it is. Hogan lets go, gets powder in the eyes. Shoe to the head and Arn gets the win. HA ! Cracking main event though.

Hogan wipes out Arn Anderson and Ric Flair. Savage then hits the ring and a big brawl goes down. Savage then hits Flair with a steel chair. Ric Flair is on the commentary booth, and says Hogan got his ass kicked again. He just says that they're in control. Arn Anderson then says he beat the unbeatable Hogan, and then they do a runner when Hogan and Savage hit the booth. Mean Gene meets Savage and Hogan over there and Hogan wants Anderson next week. Sets up next week in a big way.

End of show. I've decided I'm gonna wait and watch the Saturday Night and then Nitro after it in the one go.

Pillman would have been the biggest heel in history if Kim Wood hadn't chickened out of getting him in to the Superbowl. Naked Pillman handcuffed to the posts would have been big news EVERYWHERE.

I bet it wouldn't. In wrestling maybe, but it'd be more like "Local nut holds up football game" or "And finally...this naked man handcuffed himself to the goalpost! Ha ha ha!" Might have had *some* notoriety since he was a Bengal but realistically he only ever played for them three times.

Pillman would have been the biggest heel in history if Kim Wood hadn't chickened out of getting him in to the Superbowl. Naked Pillman handcuffed to the posts would have been big news EVERYWHERE.

I bet it wouldn't. In wrestling maybe, but it'd be more like "Local nut holds up football game" or "And finally...this naked man handcuffed himself to the goalpost! Ha ha ha!" Might have had *some* notoriety since he was a Bengal but realistically he only ever played for them three times.

Wrestling was getting hot at that point and the Superbowl is the biggest TV event in America. I think it would have got some pretty major press.

This thread is great, I'm currently watching nitro 96 and it's starting to really pick up. Around April ATM just waiting for hall to show up and it gonna really take off. The flair savage fued is really interesting even if liz can't be a heel to save her live. On to April 29 now. Keep up the good work.

• Paid Members
This thread is great, I'm currently watching nitro 96 and it's starting to really pick up. Around April ATM just waiting for hall to show up and it gonna really take off. The flair savage fued is really interesting even if liz can't be a heel to save her live. On to April 29 now. Keep up the good work.

You should give us your take on the shows. It isnt an exclusive thread. Should be good to hear people's opinions all these years later.

You should give us your take on the shows. It isnt an exclusive thread. Should be good to hear people's opinions all these years later.

will return tomorrow with some interesting findings of early 96 that I've noticed and general thoughts.

will return tomorrow with some interesting findings of early 96 that I've noticed and general thoughts.

Liz was slightly better as a heel in the nWo later on. Probably the black leather effect. If you've got 97 nitros, you'll probably enjoy them more, although the 2nd half of 96 with the nWo is pretty damn good tv too, and after the whole can wcw trust Sting and the shaeningans of Fall Brawl 96, his one man crusade on the nWo in 97 is some of the best wrestling shows I've ever seen.

Liz was slightly better as a heel in the nWo later on. Probably the black leather effect. If you've got 97 nitros, you'll probably enjoy them more, although the 2nd half of 96 with the nWo is pretty damn good tv too, and after the whole can wcw trust Sting and the shaeningans of Fall Brawl 96, his one man crusade on the nWo in 97 is some of the best wrestling shows I've ever seen.

up until I start trading in the summer I hadn't seen alot of nitro from this era maybe the odd episode on TNT and as for ppv it's only been what's on wwe DVDs and the old pink best of home videos. I'm itching to get to the summer of 96 and just got nitro 97 on it's way so gunna have a busy couple of weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

WCW Nitro 19/02/1996

This match has Randy Savage vs. Ric Flair, and it's not even the opening match of the show. Excellent.

Arn Anderson vs. Hulk Hogan

They make a big deal about Hogan not losing twice to the same guy, which makes me think that there's going to be another shock result here. Hogan is all fire and fury right from the word go, giving Arn Anderson about five back rakes. Jesus christ. A bit of a mixed crowd where Hogan is concerned, but it's mostly pro-Hogan. Total domination from Hogan which makes sense considering the story going into the match, but is there any need for the blatant cheating ? There was a low blow right in front of the ref. The match ends with Arn Anderson winning by DQ because Savage hit the ring. :laugh: Superb. Not much of a match here. Just a completely one sided beating.

That car driver is back on my PC screen. GET OFF MY PC SCREEN !

Alex Wright vs. Loch Ness

This is not going to end well for the Wonderkid. Nor will it end well for my eyes. They keep calling Loch Ness English but SURELY he'd be Scottish, right ? Loch Ness has music which can only be described as horrible. Stupid moment as Alex Wright sits on the top rope and gives Loch Ness a Sleeper Hold and the referee doesn't count or anything. Twat. This is absolutely shite. I mean really, really shite.

Johnny B. Badd vs. Chris Benoit on the Saturday Night show. That sounds nice.

The Belfast Bruiser vs. Brad Armstrong

I'm pretty sure the Bruiser is Finlay, but he looks really different with the moustache and the long hair. This match is really dull and plodding. It feels like the two guys are just wasting time untill Finlay starts attacking the leg, with almost every single exchange looking awkward. Once we reach the leg work though, it's good from that point onwards as both men get the fans excited big time. Finlay takes the win with a Tilt-a-Whirl Slam.

Ric Flair

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators

Bumping this fucker.

I'm downloading all of 2000's WCW Saturday Nights (it finished with the 2000 russo/Bisch reboot), but I'm going to review those fuckers. But first I've a WCW C-Show from 1994, so I'll revoew that first. It has gold spangled coats. I'll knock it up tomorrow.

Bumping this fucker.

I'm downloading all of 2000's WCW Saturday Nights (it finished with the 2000 russo/Bisch reboot), but I'm going to review those fuckers. But first I've a WCW C-Show from 1994, so I'll revoew that first. It has gold spangled coats. I'll knock it up tomorrow.

Keirn & Eaton? Bad 'FN' Attitude?

The Saturday Night shows from 2000 are great fun. Basically all the guys from their ridiculously overstocked roster who weren't getting booked on the main shows. So you have the likes of Los Fabulos, the Villanos, Barry Horowitz doing jobs, David Flair & Crowbar, The Wall, Steven Regal, David Sierra (winning!) and Disorderly Conduct. Then there are the guys who they started using who came through the Power Plant such as Kid Romeo, Sonny Siaki, Rick Cornell, Alan Funk, Mark Jindrak and 3 Count, plus I have memories of Jim Duggan feuding with Robert Gibson over the TV Title. Great stuff. Thank God they just left Jimmy Hart to his own devices on this show.

• Moderators
Bumping this fucker.

Keirn & Eaton? Bad 'FN' Attitude?

The Saturday Night shows from 2000 are great fun. Basically all the guys from their ridiculously overstocked roster who weren't getting booked on the main shows. So you have the likes of Los Fabulos, the Villanos, Barry Horowitz doing jobs, David Flair & Crowbar, The Wall, Steven Regal, David Sierra (winning!) and Disorderly Conduct. Then there are the guys who they started using who came through the Power Plant such as Kid Romeo, Sonny Siaki, Rick Cornell, Alan Funk, Mark Jindrak and 3 Count, plus I have memories of Jim Duggan feuding with Robert Gibson over the TV Title. Great stuff. Thank God they just left Jimmy Hart to his own devices on this show.

Bad Attitude! I suppose the bad Gold sequined coats was hardly a good hint.

I've got Saturday Night from 1999 on DVD, and despite the abundance of Adrian Byrd and HAIL, it's a quality show. I honestly don't think that the brass knew it still existed for Jimmy Hart made it into a quality little show of it's own. If 2000 has LOS FABULOUSO'S on it I will cum all over the shop.