[Nominations] Best British Match of 2008

tiger_rick

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's been a lot of 'great' matches in IPW:UK this year, but matches that could honestly be considered the "Best of the Year", would be:

- The Zebra Kid vs Jimmy Jacobs (IPW:UK vs. The World Supershow - March, Broxbourne)

- Johnny Saint vs. Chris Hero (IPW:UK vs. The World Supershow - March, Broxbourne)

- Zack Sabre Jr vs. Mikey Whiplash (IPW:UK Royale Rewards 08 - May, Bromley)

- Johnny Moss vs. El Ligero (IPW:UK When Thunder Strikes 08 - May, Bromley)

- Six Man Tag Team No DQ Match: The Thrillers ('The Star Attraction' Mark Haskins, 'The Physical Specimen' Joel Redman & 'The Fitness' Ricky Hype) w/ 'Gentleman' Gilligan Gordon & 'Irresistible' Iestyn Rees vs. The Firm ('The Guvnor' Martin Stone, Sha Samuels, Terry Frazier) (IPW:UK When Thunder Strikes 08 - May, Bromley)

- Terry Frazier vs. Johnny Kidd (IPW:UK Unfinished Business 08 - June, Bromley)

- Martin Stone vs. Doug Basham (IPW:UK Stacked - July, Bromley)

- Martin Stone vs. Iestyn Rees (IPW:UK 4th Anniversary Tour Bromley - September, Bromley)

- Terry Frazier vs. Zack Sabre Jr (IPW:UK British National Finale - October, Bromley)

- Terry Frazier vs. 'Vigilante' Johnny Moss (IPW:UK British National Finale - October, Bromley)

- Martin Stone vs. 'The Showstealer' Alex Shane (IPW:UK British National Finale - October, Bromley)

Other good mentions are to basically any of the other Thrillers/Firm interaction, with the 6-man being the best of the bunch imo. Also, a mention to all of the Jon Ryan/Dave Moralez matches. They were all collectively better than one british match of the year, but there was so many its hard to chose one to reccomend.

for me its:

6th: Mil-anfield collection vs joey hayes (*GPW Christmas Crunch)

basically this was supposed to be the young offenders (DDL/Hayes) vs mil-an but damon ended up in hospital but for a 2 on 1 match it was great all 3 looked strong the crowd rooted for hayes and there was a sick move that jiggy did on hayes a kinda jumping/dropping double knee to the back (wish i had video of it to describe the move better) this match just showed how underrated walker is.

5th: JUICE-VS CHRIS ECHO VS DYLAN ROBERTS VS HARRY DOOGLE (*GPW CHRISTMAS CRUNCH*)

basically the juice show ,for a heel he was over like fuck with the crowd no matter what he did they went fucking mental for him plus in chris echo and dylan roberts you've got 2 guys who are gonna make a far bigger impact on the uk scene next year hopefully and harry doogles one for the future. but yeah was all about the juice the guys phenomenal

4th: Matty *d-lyrium* Taylor vs Joey hayes(FUTURESHOCK NOV SHOW)

for me joey and matty should be given way bigger pushes in futureshock rather than the 6 mans or whatever and this match proved why a real back and forth match

3rd: joey hayes vs tj cain(*GPW V*)

fast paced brawl that went into the crowd and had everyone on the edge of their seats i loved every minute of it esp when the 2 involved very rarely have a bad match.

2nd: El Ligero vs JC Thunder (*GPW V*)

This was all about jc and the magnificent job he did of going from fan fave at the beginning of the match to being utterly despised by the end of it (he even re enacted the infamous chair swing at cheetahs family during the match) and it was a superb match it was going to be my moty pic but then...

1st: Si Valour vs Heresy (*GPW Christmas crunch*)

waas a lumberjack match and EXTREMELY hard hitting i loved it si almost took heresy's head off with some of the sickest clotheslines ive ever seen and it was just fucking boss from start to finish

Edited by hitman89762000

1PW Openweight Championship: Darren Burridge vs. AJ Styles, from 1PW Know Your Enemy 2008.

Zack Sabre Jr vs. Chris Hero, from 1PW 3 Year Anniversary Show.

Zack Sabre Jr vs. Claudio Castagnoli; Tournament final from A-Merchandise 'Live Professional Wrestling', Faringdon.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Lionheart vs. Dave Moralez from 1PW All Hope Is Gone. Spectacularly underrated.

Edited by Dingbat