UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

I was wondering why did Rick Martel never win a singles title in the WWF? Was he ever considered planned to win one?

During the April 1992 European Rampage after a sucessful title defense Macho man weighed in the challengers and Sean Mooney mentioned Daveyboy Smith. Now with this April show taking place some 4 months later they were back in the UK for Summerslam so I ask why wasent the main event adverised as a Bulldog vs Savage WWF Title match? Didnt they realise the potential of Daveyboy getting a title shot in england Big business? Ok so they had Davey gone from WWE in November but that doesnt mean he couldnt of dropped the belt to flair in september.

Why didnt Bruce and Keith Hart get a run in the WWF ?

Why did Vince McMahon change the decision on making the Hometown lose and making the face win out a big PPV? It worked for years then suddenly he decided that Daveyboy lose in england and then after miost the hometown wrestlers lose in their city. Also the PPVs a face would always win to please the crowd and then suddenly HHH the heel at wrestlemania 2000 was booked to win and their after every so often the heel would win the last match on a ppv when pleasing the crowd seemed to y#work the previous years. Why the change?

Edited by TheOlympicHero

I was wondering why did Rick Martel never win a singles title in the WWF? Was he ever considered planned to win one?

I doubt it. He was a marginal player in singles. His high point was the Jake Roberts feud, and at that point, Mr Perfect had a stranglehold on the IC title. Martel did have that battle royal finish and match with Razor Ramon for the vacant IC title late in '93, but I remember it being weird at the time because it seemed like he hadn't even been on for about a year before that. This was before Raw was on over here though, so he'd probably just been an undercard loser and I'd not noticed him on the weekend show.

During the April 1992 European Rampage after a sucessful title defense Macho man weighed in the challengers and Sean Mooney mentioned Daveyboy Smith. Now with this April show taking place some 4 months later they were back in the UK for Summerslam so I ask why wasent the main event adverised as a Bulldog vs Savage WWF Title match?

They wanted some Americans to buy the pay per view and decided Ultimate Warrior was a better choice than a dreadlocked English version of him who cut even more incomprehensible promos.

A European Rampage tour interview was probably mentioning Bulldog just for a bit of a local pander.

Bret vs Bulldog had a backstory. Savage vs Bulldog didn't, but Savage vs Warrior did.

The SummerSlam '92 card seemed a bit thrown together anyway once they announced it for London. Originally, Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels was to be the Intercontinental match.

Why didnt Bruce and Keith Hart get a run in the WWF ?

Because they're both shit and at least one is an unreliable tosspot. I think Bruce has been on the WWF books a few times but he's fucked it up for himself every time.

Why did Vince McMahon change the decision on making the Hometown lose and making the face win out a big PPV? It worked for years then suddenly he decided that Daveyboy lose in england and then after miost the hometown wrestlers lose in their city. Also the PPVs a face would always win to please the crowd and then suddenly HHH the heel at wrestlemania 2000 was booked to win and their after every so often the heel would win the last match on a ppv when pleasing the crowd seemed to y#work the previous years. Why the change?

Because there's no point buying a PPV if you already know the winners based on their hometowns or whether they're a babyface or heel.

When did Superstars, Wrestling Challenge, Prime Time Wrestling and All American Wrestling air on Sky and Eurosport in the late 80s/early 90s?

Superstars aired on Sky One at 12-1pm On a Saturday iirc 1990 onwards

Eurosport showed Prime Time at 6/7pm on a Friday iirc

I have an episode of Wrestling Challenge from Eurosport on tape some where so will check the showing times ahh the view from adverts they were class

You may want to also consider Trans World Sport, which also covered WWF on Eurosport. Again I can find the broadcast times of that as well.

Superstars also aired on a Saturday Night at 10pm on Sky one. They used to swap Challenge and Superstars around at a time between sat/sun. All American was on a friday night. Still got the tapes so it is easy to check this as I used to record the ident stuff before the shows as well. As for Eurosport Prime Time changed times too I recall 7 - 9 it came on alough I remember after a while they aired at 10pm even aired some at midnight on some occasions. Challenge used to also air weekdays on a wednesday and monday morning at times too. Dont forget the SWS show that used to air on eurosport sat dinner time seeing japanese wrestlers tangle with the WWF stars was good quality viewing. Never forget the day the first show I watched and recorded was Liger vs benoit. Must look for that one some time.

Superstars and challenge on a saturday night also at times aired back to back on a sat night. Aagin I used to back then write on the box what aired the date and time of the show for some reason. Will have to dust them out of the attic and take a look.

Thanks, I find anything like that interesting.

Anything in particular info you need?

If WWE is aiming itself at an audience which requires parental guidance, why are they encouraging British viewers to vote in the General Election? Surely anyone who wasn't going to vote, but who does so because John Cena or John Morrison reminded them, doesn't deserve to have a say in how this country is run.

I suppose you'd prefer it if only land owners and the like had the right to vote?

WWE Superstars are kind of shown as role models.

When did Superstars, Wrestling Challenge, Prime Time Wrestling and All American Wrestling air on Sky and Eurosport in the late 80s/early 90s?

Superstars aired on Sky One at 12-1pm On a Saturday iirc 1990 onwards

Eurosport showed Prime Time at 6/7pm on a Friday iirc

I have an episode of Wrestling Challenge from Eurosport on tape some where so will check the showing times ahh the view from adverts they were class

You may want to also consider Trans World Sport, which also covered WWF on Eurosport. Again I can find the broadcast times of that as well.

Superstars also aired on a Saturday Night at 10pm on Sky one. They used to swap Challenge and Superstars around at a time between sat/sun. All American was on a friday night. Still got the tapes so it is easy to check this as I used to record the ident stuff before the shows as well. As for Eurosport Prime Time changed times too I recall 7 - 9 it came on alough I remember after a while they aired at 10pm even aired some at midnight on some occasions. Challenge used to also air weekdays on a wednesday and monday morning at times too. Dont forget the SWS show that used to air on eurosport sat dinner time seeing japanese wrestlers tangle with the WWF stars was good quality viewing. Never forget the day the first show I watched and recorded was Liger vs benoit. Must look for that one some time.

Superstars and challenge on a saturday night also at times aired back to back on a sat night. Aagin I used to back then write on the box what aired the date and time of the show for some reason. Will have to dust them out of the attic and take a look.

Thanks, I find anything like that interesting.

Anything in particular info you need?

Do you know what was the purpose of WWE Superstars in 2002 after Bottom Line and Afterburn debuted? and when did Raw air when it debuted in '95?

:yinyang: I was watching the McMahon DVD last night and i noticed that they played a clip of Shawn Micheals hitting Vince with a crossbody off the stage, my question is does anyone know where it's from? They were both wearing their wrestling attires but the only time i can remember them wrestling each other was at 'Mania 22 and it doesn't look like it's from that event. Edited by insert_name_here

:yinyang: I was watching the McMahon DVD last night and i noticed that they played a clip of Shawn Micheals hitting Vince with a crossbody off the stage, my question is does anyone know where it's from? They were both wearing their wrestling attires but the only time i can remember them wrestling each other was at 'Mania 22 and it doesn't look like it's from that event.

Backlash '06?

• Paid Members

Vince didn't originally decide Davey Boy should lose in Britain. Michaels talked him into that *after* Smith had dedicated the match to his cancer-ridden sister. Supposedly he would have won it back in Manchester a few months later but Smith was gone before then.

Vince didn't originally decide Davey Boy should lose in Britain. Michaels talked him into that *after* Smith had dedicated the match to his cancer-ridden sister. Supposedly he would have won it back in Manchester a few months later but Smith was gone before then.

As was Michaels, but it would have been against Triple H anyway.

• Paid Members

Not really. According to the Observer's Montreal article the whole planned was to lead into the Manchester match after that. If you want to get into the tangled web of bollocks, if Bret Hart hadnt have left, Smith wouldnt have left. Which means Bret would still be the champion. Which means Bret Hart and Michaels would have had their ladder match at Royal Rumble (which Bret would have won), avoiding the casket match bump which finished Michaels off for 4 years. Which means the proposed Bret vs Austin match would have happened, and Michaels didnt need to drop to European belt to Triple H on Raw and the Bulldog vs Michaels match would have happened.

Also, there is a strong possibility that a Triple H vs Davey Boy Smith main event for the European title would have drawn them about 30 pence in revenue.

Edited by Ian_hitmanhart

Not really. According to the Observer's Montreal article the whole planned was to lead into the Manchester match after that. If you want to get into the tangled web of bollocks, if Bret Hart hadnt have left, Smith wouldnt have left. Which means Bret would still be the champion. Which means Bret Hart and Michaels would have had their ladder match at Royal Rumble (which Bret would have won), avoiding the casket match bump which finished Michaels off for 4 years. Which means the proposed Bret vs Austin match would have happened, and Michaels didnt need to drop to European belt to Triple H on Raw and the Bulldog vs Michaels match would have happened.

Also, there is a strong possibility that a Triple H vs Davey Boy Smith main event for the European title would have drawn them about 30 pence in revenue.

I want to go in an alternate universe where Bret never left and how different everything was. Bret would have been able to face Kurt Angle becuase he wouldnt have been in WCW to get kicked in the head by Goldberg so thats a bit of the positive side. But even though Austin would have still been something big, I wonder if The Rock's career would have took off...?

But Bulldog would've stayed had the screwjob not happened. Say Survivor Series had the DQ finish, then Bret lost the title to Shamrock or Foley on Raw and left on good terms, Michaels would've beat them for it at the DX pay-per-view. It would still have been Michaels as world champion vs Austin at Mania. HBK could've held onto the European title throughout his WWF title reign I suppose, but chances are he was never bothered about the rematch at Mayhem in Manchester. He had the finish for One Night Only changed just to fuck the Harts about.

• Paid Members

But Bulldog would've stayed had the screwjob not happened. Say Survivor Series had the DQ finish, then Bret lost the title to Shamrock or Foley on Raw and left on good terms, Michaels would've beat them for it at the DX pay-per-view. It would still have been Michaels as world champion vs Austin at Mania. HBK could've held onto the European title throughout his WWF title reign I suppose, but chances are he was never bothered about the rematch at Mayhem in Manchester. He had the finish for One Night Only changed just to fuck the Harts about.

The whole plan that they presented to Bret before he'd asked to leave for WCW, was for Bret and Michaels to wrestle at Survivor Series with either a DQ or a hatchet job of a finish, Michaels to win the title in a four way match a the December PPV and Bret to beat Michaels in a ladder match. Bret and Austin was penned in as the main event for WrestleMania 14 from the previous April. Austin never got his win back on Bret, and Bret never got revenge for Austin putting him in a wheelchair, so the ending to that feud hadnt ended yet. McMahon asked Hart to take a pay cut, and Bret asked what the plans were if he indeed did cut his pay and this was what was presented to him.

The One Night Only PPV was the first ever UK WWF event that we had to pay for, so WWF had to prepare for the next event to make sure it'd draw. A Michaels vs Smith match was the only match they could have done, coming off the insane finish to the One Night Only PPV (also it was in Smiths so called 'home toon' of Manchester). To be fair it didnt need that, because by the time the Mayhem in Manchester PPV came about WWF was the hottest company in the world again.

The whole plan that they presented to Bret before he'd asked to leave for WCW, was for Bret and Michaels to wrestle at Survivor Series with either a DQ or a hatchet job of a finish, Michaels to win the title in a four way match a the December PPV and Bret to beat Michaels in a ladder match. Bret and Austin was penned in as the main event for WrestleMania 14 from the previous April. Austin never got his win back on Bret, and Bret never got revenge for Austin putting him in a wheelchair, so the ending to that feud hadnt ended yet. McMahon asked Hart to take a pay cut, and Bret asked what the plans were if he indeed did cut his pay and this was what was presented to him.

The One Night Only PPV was the first ever UK WWF event that we had to pay for, so WWF had to prepare for the next event to make sure it'd draw. A Michaels vs Smith match was the only match they could have done, coming off the insane finish to the One Night Only PPV (also it was in Smiths so called 'home toon' of Manchester). To be fair it didnt need that, because by the time the Mayhem in Manchester PPV came about WWF was the hottest company in the world again.

I think WWF and WCW were sort of both the number 1 promotion until about October. Think of how big Goldberg's title win was, and Hollywood Hogan took over the Jay Leno Show, DDP was big and the nWo Wolfpac had Sting in it. I don't think until they brought back The Warrior, and then the fingerpoke of doom that WCW became number 2.

Edited by Dillkid