The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

Right, listened to the Podcast - Very much enjoyed it this time round. I think concentrating on one book that didn't constantly need to be put into context allowed much deeper exploration of the subject, and it was much more interesting as a result. Whilst I didn't necessarily agree with every conclusion you came to, it was a very accomplished analysis, so kudos. My only crticism this time around is that I found it a bit long. 2 hours is fine for a podcast, but, on a single subject (for the most part) it was a little too much. Small problem though.

Being a smart arse (and in my cups whilst listening to the show) I did shout "not on the Old Bailey statue there's not!" when you were talking about the statue having a blindfold. There are reasons my neighbours hate me.

Picking a random point to talk about - if Alan Moore doesn't move you emotionally, try reading Krypto's death in "Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow?". Gets me every time.

Also, big thumbs up for liking From Hell more than Watchmen.

Something I was surprised didn't come out in the conversation was Moore's modern dissatisfaction with the story, particularly what he now thinks of his slightly adolescent ideas about anarchy.

Very much looking forward to the Fell episode.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Fell episode is up now!

Alexander - apologies, but forgot to read your Fell feedback this time around. I got your podcast feedback, but not feedback on the comic. Will make sure to get it next time.

Next up, if anyone has any thoughts on it - Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Marvel vs. DC is hard because I still read both, but I've got to say I favour DC just slightly.

I started reading Marvel because that was all available to me through WHSmiths (before I found Paradox. Plug) and I instantly loved the darker characters like Wolverine and thought heroes like Superman (who i'd only seen on tv and in films) were too unrelatable. But then I started to read some Batman and that led to Green Arrow.

The reason I like DC at the moment is that DC seem to be able to do a multitude of different stories and all seem to feel important to that character or the whole 'universe'. For instance, the Secret Invasion Marvel did felt quite flat for me, not much in the way of real excitment and felt just like a transition to OSborn's Dark Avengers. But roughly at the same time DC did Cry for Justice and that hit all the right notes for me. It was logical from certain points of view, gripping throughout and set up several changes in dynamics and great for re-introducing heroes and there new traits.

The weaknesses of DC is a reliance on their readers knowing alot about characters and understanding complicated storylines. For instance, I was reading Justice League the Lightning Saga and there was lots of references about the Legion Of Super Heroes, and I had no clue what anyone was talking about.

My personal opinion of Marvel is maybe there so busy changing things there not considering the angles properly. Things such as turning Punisher (one of my fav characters) into Frankencastle, Spitting out Deadpool titles left right and centre diluting the characters appeal, and just lots of other stuff.

You guys will probably laugh but I'm re-reading the Age of Apocalypse for the first time since I was a kid and I'm really enjoying . When I read it the first time it was through the Essential X-Men reprint so there were plenty of issues that were missed out. Reading it in order from this torrent I got, the Blink 4 parter was fan-fuckingtastic and I hope the other offshoots I missed the first time are equally as good.

I've got the watchmen film sat here gathering dust and I can't quite pluck up the courage to watch it as I've disliked pretty much every comic adaptation I've ever seen (except Howard The Duck, of course).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...