The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members
Did the exact same thing. It's annoying, all the pay off and none of the drama.

Been picking up more Hellblazer stuff recently. Got Ennis' Damnation flame which is a pretty good story. Then I got Delano's Original Sins. Awesome book, fair artwork and the stories are simply inspired. Great start to the awesome run. Finally I picked up a creased copy of Andy Diggles Roots of Coincidence. Once again a cracking story. Quite self contained and a good reflection of the characters past and future. Overall, Hellblazer is quality and everyone should read it.

Also picked up Final Crisis. Not my favourite. All over the place in terms of narration and hard to follow in parts. It had some good moments in it but so much was rushed to try and cram as many characters in it as possible. It wasn't a horrible book, but it was complicated and just clustered feeling. Well that's my opinion for what its worth.

Original Sin and Damnations Flame are crackin' Constantine runs. Dangerous Habits was my favourite though...

I downloaded a pack that contained Punisher - Born, Punisher - The Cell, Punisher - The Tyger and Punisher - The End.

Having previously only read kiddy stuff like X-Men and The Fantastic 4 this absolutely blew my mind! Can anyone recommend any other adult themed stuff? Which other Punisher books should I get because that pack I downloaded has really given me the taste for it.

• Paid Members
I downloaded a pack that contained Punisher - Born, Punisher - The Cell, Punisher - The Tyger and Punisher - The End.

Having previously only read kiddy stuff like X-Men and The Fantastic 4 this absolutely blew my mind! Can anyone recommend any other adult themed stuff? Which other Punisher books should I get because that pack I downloaded has really given me the taste for it.

Get any of the Punisher Max series by Garth Ennis. Up is Down and Black is White. Mother Russia, Kitchen Irish all fit the bill

Preacher, Sandman and Hellblazer are all gritty, "adult themed" comics, for want of a term.

Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns and Year One are immense. Give Miller's run on Daredevil a crack too.

Oh, give Fabian Nicieza and Joe Kellys Deadpool runs a whirl. I'm pluggin the main man here...

I think Punisher - The Tyger is one of the best Punisher stories there's ever been and it's certainly one of my favourites. The rest of the Punisher stuff by the same writer, Garth Ennis, is all worth checking out. It starts with Punisher - Welcome Back, Frank, which is also known as Punisher volume 4 (12 issues, 2000-2001). Then that continues in Punisher volume 5 (37 issues, 2001-2004). After that, Ennis did a Punisher Max series for a few years, which is Punisher volume 6 (about 60 issues, 2004-2008 I think). A lot of people rate that as the best Punisher stuff because it's more violent, though I find it a bit too procedural and boring and personally prefer volumes 4 and 5.

And my favourite comic ever is by Ennis as well, Preacher. I'd only read superhero and Beano/Dandy stuff as a kid, and read Preacher when I was about 20. It completely blew my mind, and I still haven't seen anything to match up to it.

• Paid Members
Also picked up Final Crisis. Not my favourite. All over the place in terms of narration and hard to follow in parts. It had some good moments in it but so much was rushed to try and cram as many characters in it as possible. It wasn't a horrible book, but it was complicated and just clustered feeling. Well that's my opinion for what its worth.

It's Grant Morrison, which means that your criticisms are fair comment. However, it's worth going back to - I find I like 'Final Crisis' more on each re-reading.

Since this has been bumped, I'll mention that 'Comic Heroes' #2 is out today - I wrote the cover feature on Captain America, and if I do say so myself, the magazine is a good read.

I'd like to recommend Transmetropolitan. Funny as hell.

Punisher wise as people say all of Ennis' work is classic. The Max series are great books which is a step away from the regular Marvel comics universe. I personally love Mother Russia for the portrayal of Nick Fury. Forget turning him black, this was how Fury was meant to be. The Max series is also more serious than his previous run with Welcome Back Frank, Army of One, Business As Usual and the one of Return of Ma Gnucci. These are also worth a read for a good laugh.

Plus the Alan Moore books, Watchmen, V For Vendetta etc. Oh, and pick up Hellblazer.And never watch the Constantine film. Ever. Nothing to do with the comics but it's good general advice.

• 1 month later...

Got two new books these past weeks, one very good and one pretty good.

First was Kingdom Come. This book was great, the artwork was amazing and the story was enjoyable, exciting and very well narrated. In case your wondering the story is set in the future where the Justice League reforms to try and bring the new generation of superheroes into control and a whole series of bad events happen.

The second was Seige from Marvel. A nice way to end the Dark Avenegers story, I thought it was a good story but may not have been told in the best way. There was just something missing, but the characters were a little flat for my tastes. Like I said, I thought the story was good just the dialouge was a little disappointing.

First was Kingdom Come. This book was great, the artwork was amazing and the story was enjoyable, exciting and very well narrated. In case your wondering the story is set in the future where the Justice League reforms to try and bring the new generation of superheroes into control and a whole series of bad events happen.

That was the book that made me realise I wasn't going to "get" superhero comics. The artwork was great, but the whole thing seemed predicated on spunking over decades of old continuity and obscure old costumed characters. I just couldn't get into it at all. And it was a shame, because the art really is tremendous.

• Paid Members

That was the book that made me realise I wasn't going to "get" superhero comics. The artwork was great, but the whole thing seemed predicated on spunking over decades of old continuity and obscure old costumed characters. I just couldn't get into it at all. And it was a shame, because the art really is tremendous.

Kingdom Come is fucking epic. It really helps to look at it as an "Elseworlds" (i.e. alternative universe) story. It's pretty much made clear that they're only going for the Golden Age characters, hence Green Lantern being Alan Scott rather than Hal Jordan and The Flash being Jay Garrick rather than Barry Allen.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Bump for potential interesting comic book stuff.

I've just started a new podcast over at geekplanetonline.com, where we take a fortnightly look at comics. It's called Panel Talk, and for the first episode, we're discussing X-Men: Age of Apocalypse. Also, my podcasting partner (the evil Doctor Crossman) gets savaged by a Daddy Longlegs live on air.

Next episode, we're discussing V for Vendetta. Anyone got any thoughts on that one, or on Age of Apocalypse?

• Paid Members
Bump for potential interesting comic book stuff.

I've just started a new podcast over at geekplanetonline.com, where we take a fortnightly look at comics. It's called Panel Talk, and for the first episode, we're discussing X-Men: Age of Apocalypse. Also, my podcasting partner (the evil Doctor Crossman) gets savaged by a Daddy Longlegs live on air.

Next episode, we're discussing V for Vendetta. Anyone got any thoughts on that one, or on Age of Apocalypse?

V For Vendetta - incredible piece of work. The very British artwork suits the dark, gritty atmosphere of the story perfectly. As I understand it, Moore wrote it in the early 80s, just as he was leaving for the US, as an attack on the Tory government and the kind of society it was breeding at the time. I may be in a minority, as I enjoyed the film immensely, but I think one of the main reasons why it doesn't match up to the book is because the message has been changed to suit the audience of now. Before, it was a specific story on the insidiousness of fascist movements and the gradual erosion of civil liberties, which rang true with the audiences of the time with the rise of the national front, the Cold War, the strikes and the riots, not to mention the UK was in severe economic difficulties (which usually prompt such extremist activity), but the movie, set in this day and age, just became a general parable on totalitarianism - it felt generally rather removed from even that basic message because of its theatricality and whimsy, despite the attempts to keep it on track through Stephen Fry's character and the story of the actress. It could be argued the film addresses current fears about the curtailment of liberties in the name of the War On Terror, but it doesn't really go after the topic hard and fast enough to be seen as a real attack, I think.

The book, however, is very strong, and adds further dimension by not just viewing it from the point of view of the protagonists. The villains get a fair shake as well, and the overall picture painted is clear and unambiguous in its warning: to quote BSG, "All this has happened before, and will happen again".

Currently reading:

Crossed: Family Values

The Boys (and the spin-off, Wee Hughie)

The Unwritten

The Walking Dead

And I want to get back into Fables and Invincible but I've no idea where I'm up to with them.

Crossed is a great book to read if you want to really feel like you need a shower afterwards.

Is the Boys still the most obvious and charmless thing in the world? I haven't been reading it since the "OMFG you wont believe this dudes seriously Prof X is a peado" storyline.

Walking Dead has kind of coming out of a patch of not being very interesting at the moment. I've read it since the start and it used to be a highlight of whenever it came out, but around the time of the prison is just became really tedious. As soon as a long running book introduces a new character with a samurai sword, you have to worry that the creativity tank is running a little low. I have to say, the recent storyline about the gated community is catching my interest again.

Unwritten has to be the most underrated book coming out at the moment. Hardly anyone seems to be reading it or talking about it and it's simply fantastic. Hugely clever and ambitious. Carey is a fucking jammy bugger, he's never written anything that wasn't at least "very good".

Fables, of course, is still consistently one of the best monthly books out there. I'm still picking up Invincible (which is in the middle of a huge storyline at the moment) but it's sometimes a little wearying with all the extreme gore and that.

Chris B, the link to your show appears dead. Not wishing to come across as having a go, but why are you reviewing series that came out between fifteen and twenty five years ago? If it's supposed to be a look at classic series...then it's an odd couple of choices...