The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members

'Comic Heroes' is a new magazine out at the moment (from the makers of SFX). It's aimed at comic newbies and the hardcore fan at the same time, and has a shitload of content.

It's also got a guide to the DC Universe, written by me. And lots of other stuff.

So, yeah, please buy it, so I can afford food.

I looked round my house the other day, saw my shelves full of those lovely lead DC and Marvel figures, and realised I couldn't give a damn about the big 2 companies any more. So...I might check out this Comic Heroes, but unless it's got a lot about Image and the indies and little about Marvel and DC (which, of course, makes no economic sense for you guys) I may not stick around.

Er...Walking Dead vols. 10 and 11. They're ace.

• Paid Members
I looked round my house the other day, saw my shelves full of those lovely lead DC and Marvel figures, and realised I couldn't give a damn about the big 2 companies any more. So...I might check out this Comic Heroes, but unless it's got a lot about Image and the indies and little about Marvel and DC (which, of course, makes no economic sense for you guys) I may not stick around.

There's a fair amount of stuff on indy comics, but not Image (off the top of my head). There's an enormous article on 'getting into writing for comics' which focuses on advice from Indy writers. There's also a decently sized article on 'Bande Dessinee' (French comics - I didn't know the Smurfs were French. That scared me). And there's a full look at the 'Apocalypse War' from 2000AD, with input from the creators. Also, a bio of John Constantine (who I know is DC, but is more Indy than most mainstream output).

So yeah, there's a lot of DC and Marvel, but a LOT of other stuff.

• Moderators

Yeah, I'm still loving that series. I heard the tv show, or if not then at least the pilot, starts shooting in May. I'm excited.

Also, I was enthused to see that there's already 4 more issues done since the release of Vol 11, so it shouldn't be too long to wait for 12...

• Paid Members
The Smurfs (Les Schtroumpfs) are Belgian, I'm pretty certain.

Pfft. Belgian, French, it's all the same.

(And the magazine got it right - I got it wrong on here, partially because I glibly summed up 'Bande Dessinee' as 'French Comics'.)

Edited by Chris B

Vol. 12 is out in April, according to Amazon.

I'll see if my local comic shop has your new publication in it, and if not I'll get them to order some.

Now I'm up to date with Walking Dead, I'm about to get my teeth back into DMZ. Not sure where they're going to go with it, but vol. 1 is really good, interesting story well told.

Talking of smurfs, aren't the Moomins Belgian or Norwegian or something?

• Paid Members

I'll see if my local comic shop has your new publication in it, and if not I'll get them to order some.

Now I'm up to date with Walking Dead, I'm about to get my teeth back into DMZ. Not sure where they're going to go with it, but vol. 1 is really good, interesting story well told.

Swedish, I think.

I've heard you mentioned DMZ before - can I ask you for a pr

• Paid Members

Swedish, I think.

I've heard you mentioned DMZ before - can I ask you for a pr

'Comic Heroes' is a new magazine out at the moment (from the makers of SFX). It's aimed at comic newbies and the hardcore fan at the same time, and has a shitload of content.

It's also got a guide to the DC Universe, written by me. And lots of other stuff.

So, yeah, please buy it, so I can afford food.

I picked it up today. I thought it was pretty good to be honest. Not so much indie stuff and alot on the movies but that's to be expected at this time of year and for a first issue. I really enjoyed the 'How to write comics' section and the DC comics section. But for me the detailed breakdown of Judge Dredd the Apocalypse War was the winner.

Just saw this today on MSN:

A respected comic book artist who illustrated famed characters such as Judge Dredd has ended his life at the Swiss clinic Dignitas.

John Hicklenton, who lived in Brighton, died at the assisted suicide clinic on March 19 aged 42 following a 10-year battle with multiple sclerosis (MS).

He was renowned for his characteristically-grotesque figures in the cult British comic 2000 AD, including interpretations of famous characters Judge Dredd and Nemesis The Warlock.

Mr Hicklenton, known as Johnny, was also a strident MS campaigner and was the subject of an award-winning television documentary charting his fight against the condition.

In Here's Johnny, which was produced by Brighton-based independent film and TV company Animal Monday, he spoke movingly of using art as an escape.

He said: "Drawing is my walking now, I run with it, I fly with it. It's keeping me alive. I have a thing with it. I can't wait to get a piece of paper with a pen because it's what I can control.

"I haven't got MS when I'm looking at my pictures and I haven't got it when I'm drawing them either. It gives me an ability to express that fear."

The illness took an increasingly tight hold on him, affecting his mobility and he decided to end his life before he became permanently disabled.

Before he went to Dignitas, he told Pat Mills, the founder of 2000 AD: "MS, you have a week to live. You've met someone you shouldn't have f***** with."

Friends and family travelled with him to the clinic. His agent Adrian Weston said: "He was one of the most clear-sighted and visionary people I have ever met. Having worked with him was one of the greatest privileges of my professional life."

Seen some things by him and he looked like a very good artist. By all accounts it looks like he will be sadly missed.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

I recently bought the Sinestro Corps compilation - or so I thought. Like an idiot, I didn't check the spine, and it turns out I've bought Vol.II, not Vol.I. Grrrrrrr.

Did the exact same thing. It's annoying, all the pay off and none of the drama.

Been picking up more Hellblazer stuff recently. Got Ennis' Damnation flame which is a pretty good story. Then I got Delano's Original Sins. Awesome book, fair artwork and the stories are simply inspired. Great start to the awesome run. Finally I picked up a creased copy of Andy Diggles Roots of Coincidence. Once again a cracking story. Quite self contained and a good reflection of the characters past and future. Overall, Hellblazer is quality and everyone should read it.

Also picked up Final Crisis. Not my favourite. All over the place in terms of narration and hard to follow in parts. It had some good moments in it but so much was rushed to try and cram as many characters in it as possible. It wasn't a horrible book, but it was complicated and just clustered feeling. Well that's my opinion for what its worth.