The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• 2 weeks later...

I've caught up with the new 52 batman now. Really loved the Court of Owls arc, Scott Snyder is brilliant, he has such a grip on the character and his story telling is fantastic. Batman: The Dark Knight seems a little "by numbers" in comparison but I still enjoy it so I'll keep that going monthly. I should probably check out the new Dectective Comics run as well but I don't want to over-Batman it all at once. Before Watchmen is going along nicely. It's had some up and down installments but on the whole it's been a lot better than I'd expected. Even if some issues haven't added anything much they've still been respectful. I've also started reading Brian K Vaughan's Saga which I'm really enjoying, anyone else reading it?

I've caught up with the new 52 batman now. Really loved the Court of Owls arc, Scott Snyder is brilliant, he has such a grip on the character and his story telling is fantastic.

I'm up to issue #9. I've liked it for the most part. Batman: The Black Mirror by Scott Snyder is better but his best work is American Vampire, I strongly recommend that series. Anyone else read the mentioned titles? Edited by The Natural

I'm feeling quite sad, got the final Hitman graphic novel 'Closing time.' I loved this book and the characters and the ending was very emotional to me. I honestly think this is my fav Garth Ennis work. Thing is, it really had to end as from the outset it seemed to be going in that direction but I just wish it didn't.

Also got Green Arrow Into the Woods. Why can't we have this Green Arrow back? The other one is just so generic and pompous compared to the one designed and perfected by Denny O Neil. Anyway, yes I like this book and just don't know why it had to be changed to something so bloody bland.

I've caught up with the new 52 batman now. Really loved the Court of Owls arc, Scott Snyder is brilliant, he has such a grip on the character and his story telling is fantastic. Batman: The Dark Knight seems a little "by numbers" in comparison but I still enjoy it so I'll keep that going monthly. I should probably check out the new Dectective Comics run as well but I don't want to over-Batman it all at once.

Before Watchmen is going along nicely. It's had some up and down installments but on the whole it's been a lot better than I'd expected. Even if some issues haven't added anything much they've still been respectful. I've also started reading Brian K Vaughan's Saga which I'm really enjoying, anyone else reading it?

I only really started reading comics when the new 52 started, but I can already see why people rave about Scott Snyder. The Court of Owls was magnificent. Looking forward to the next arc he's doing, starting next month, Death of the Family.

Also, I'm the opposite of you, I'm currently purchasing 6 different Batman titles each month, Batman, The Dark Knight, Detective Comics, Batman and Robin, Arkham Unhinged and Legends of the Dark Knight, the latter 2 being weekly titles as opposed to monthly titles too.

I'm up to issue #9. I've liked it for the most part. Batman: The Black Mirror by Scott Snyder is better but his best work is American Vampire, I strongly recommend that series. Anyone else read the mentioned titles?

I keep thinking about picking this up, but I'm a bit anal and would feel it necessary to start at issue 1, so it may be a bit pricey to go all in right away. I may try and pick up 4 or 5 issues a month til I'm caught up with it

Edited by pryko

I'm up to issue #9. I've liked it for the most part. Batman: The Black Mirror by Scott Snyder is better but his best work is American Vampire, I strongly recommend that series. Anyone else read the mentioned titles?

I keep thinking about picking this up, but I'm a bit anal and would feel it necessary to start at issue 1, so it may be a bit pricey to go all in right away. I may try and pick up 4 or 5 issues a month til I'm caught up with it

The way I've read American Vampire is through the volumes collecting the series and not through single issues. I came across American Vampire: Volume One collecting #1-5 from my library, read it, loved it and found they also had the second and third volumes to my delight. The series needs to be read in order because it charts the history of vampirism and events in the first volume build in the second and third volumes. American Vampire is a brilliant series, the first volume is probably the best one.

• Paid Members
I got "Red Son" out of the library. It was quite fantastic.

That comic is amazing, one of the best things I've ever read.

I don't like reading comics on a computer & I can't afford to buy new graphic novels 3+ times a week so I pick up lots of stuff from the library & have done for a couple of years. They obviously don't have everything but they have a pretty good selection and I like the fact that it means I'll read lots of different things, a collection of 60s Silver Surfer comics one day, something like Wanted the next mixed with new stuff like they've just got some of the new 52 stuff in, so I've been reading a bit of that too. It's great I must've read well over a hundred graphic novels from the last couple of libraries I've lived and worked near. Go libraries!

I got "Red Son" out of the library. It was quite fantastic.

That comic is amazing, one of the best things I've ever read.

I don't like reading comics on a computer & I can't afford to buy new graphic novels 3+ times a week so I pick up lots of stuff from the library & have done for a couple of years. They obviously don't have everything but they have a pretty good selection and I like the fact that it means I'll read lots of different things, a collection of 60s Silver Surfer comics one day, something like Wanted the next mixed with new stuff like they've just got some of the new 52 stuff in, so I've been reading a bit of that too. It's great I must've read well over a hundred graphic novels from the last couple of libraries I've lived and worked near. Go libraries!

My library is great for graphic novels. The best graphic novels I've read from the library: Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn, Batwoman: Elegy, Gotham Central, American Vampire, The Amazing Spider-Man: Big Time and Ultimate Spider-Man: Ultimate Collection, Volume One. I'd recommend them to people.

Edited by The Natural

The way I've read American Vampire is through the volumes collecting the series and not through single issues. I came across American Vampire: Volume One collecting #1-5 from my library, read it, loved it and found they also had the second and third volumes to my delight. The series needs to be read in order because it charts the history of vampirism and events in the first volume build in the second and third volumes. American Vampire is a brilliant series, the first volume is probably the best one.

I prefer starting from the beginning anyway. That's what I've done with Green Lantern. I wanted to start picking up the new 52 titles, but because the continuity stayed the same from previous, I decided to go back as far as I could and start from scratch so I understood everything. Same with Batman too, but I'm doing that a little slower and building up a pretty big collection. I'll definitely pick up some American Vampire titles soon then

Funny you should mention American Vampire, I saw the first volume on sale yesterday and picked it up, look forward to starting.

Hope you like American Vampire as much as I do with how I talked it up. Please can I ask where and how much did you get it for?

Edited by The Natural