MMA In Training Thread (Striking, Grappling)

ajmcstyles

Well I thought I opened up the question of wrestling be taught in schools on here, I thought id take it to the next step and introduce a grappling thread (which will most likely die on its arse within a day or two). But there are some grappler's on here

Basically its like the Gym thread but for grappling to hopefully share tips, techniques, good reads (books), youtube clips or DVD's and so forth.

So a introduction to what you do in terms of grappling and go from there.

So myself I'm a NO-Gi BJJ guy whos breaking into Traditional BJJ and Wrestling by the week is out

But I do need advice, my I have a very solid close guard which people struggle to break even Marcus Davis said on a seminar that I have a very strong closed guard (so I'm on bottom). My problem is advancing from there, I use a Kimura/sit up sweep a mix of (

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G66jeddk-Q) but that's where my sweeps end in terms from guard. Its a major flaw in my game that I really need to advance on and once I open to guard its either go for a sub or its people pass my guard but I can easily get back to guard.

If people stack me from guard I often take the leg now and go for a sub from there. But in the last 3 months my game is rapidly improving.

So far I've took points from

- 10th Planet All Stars DVD

- Chris Brennan - NOGI Sweeps & Guard Passes (not great as a lot I find hard to even get to while rolling)

- Matt Serra BJJ

Additional also adding equipment chat too.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Whats your rubber guard / flexibility like? Ive not seen the 10th planet dvds but I'll assume there's a heavy focus on rubber guard on them. It sounds like you have some good strength in your legs. With some good hip movement you can transition into a few shoulder locks or use it to take the back and obviously use it as a sweep

Whats your rubber guard / flexibility like? Ive not seen the 10th planet dvds but I'll assume there's a heavy focus on rubber guard on them. It sounds like you have some good strength in your legs. With some good hip movement you can transition into a few shoulder locks or use it to take the back and obviously use it as a sweep

I used to use the rubber guard then push myself out for a omoplata from there but the train saw it and taught everyone how to pass it. Or sometimes go for a Go-Go Plata but i was never confident using it.

My Flexability is 50/50 one day I'm fine and can easy put my foot behind my head but the last few weeks my all tensed up my back hurts aches and pains everywhere from constant training and my flexibility has suffered big time.

I now roll with the experienced guys in the group as I am nearly on there level just below and I'm too advanced to serious roll with the beginners, so rolling with the more advanced guys they know most of the escapes and passes yeah I can still get the sit up sweep on most of them but they are all becoming aware of it.

Sometimes I get to rolling with the beginners so my efforts are sliced by 75% as you can talk with them while rolling to help them improve and open their mind and most of all help them NOT to panic while rolling, plus you can put them in a position or go for a submission but not commit to it so it give them a chance to learn the escapes and passes they need to know.

• Paid Members

Theres a good sweep where you use the set up for gogoplata as a dummy then release and push your right leg into the top of their thigh (Its hard to explain some of these, i'll see if I can find a video somewhere) it also sets up beautifully to transition if they try to pass it. Im getting to the stage now where my hips have tightened up, the strength is still there but the flexibility is going and its agony if i roll with someone strong for too long. Rolling with the less experienced guys really is the best thing you can do at the min because you have the time to think 2-3 moves ahead

Theres a good sweep where you use the set up for gogoplata as a dummy then release and push your right leg into the top of their thigh (Its hard to explain some of these, i'll see if I can find a video somewhere) it also sets up beautifully to transition if they try to pass it. Im getting to the stage now where my hips have tightened up, the strength is still there but the flexibility is going and its agony if i roll with someone strong for too long. Rolling with the less experienced guys really is the best thing you can do at the min because you have the time to think 2-3 moves ahead

Do you have a video for that sweep?

• Paid Members

I saw it on an old training video although I'm sure i've seen a similar sweep on a Gracie Barra video on youtube its a variation on a scissor sweep

Edit: This is similar

but without the shoulder control

Why on earth is this in off-topic?

Its more of a hobby thread like the Gym thread. Completely up to the moderators if they choose to put it main section.

Khemical ill answer you as soon as I know more on the answer but ive been told wrestling is more strength based with technique while BJJ is technique with a little to no strength.

I'm thinking of taking up freestyle wrestling. Can any one tell me what it's like, in terms of the techniques used etc? As I'm not too knowledgeable in amateur wrestling.

Freestyle wrestling is basically taking your opponent down and pinning him with both shoulders down. Any technique is allowed except for striking, So there's Judo throws and trips along with pure strength slams or the more techical maneuvres like ankle picks. It's basically any move you'll see for a takedown in MMA is part of freestyle wrestling. I know the majority of places just teach submission wrestling/grappling classes. They're basically freestyle wrestling plus no gi ju jitsu combined.

• Paid Members
I'm thinking of taking up freestyle wrestling. Can any one tell me what it's like, in terms of the techniques used etc? As I'm not too knowledgeable in amateur wrestling.

Freestyle wrestling is basically taking your opponent down and pinning him with both shoulders down. Any technique is allowed except for striking, So there's Judo throws and trips along with pure strength slams or the more techical maneuvres like ankle picks. It's basically any move you'll see for a takedown in MMA is part of freestyle wrestling. I know the majority of places just teach submission wrestling/grappling classes. They're basically freestyle wrestling plus no gi ju jitsu combined.

Sounds great. Cheers, Rey. I'll get myself booked in for some of that next week.

Where about's do you train ajmcstyles? There's some great arm bar and triangle submissions that sound like it would be right down your alley but they are really hard to explain in writing. One technique I love using from the closed guard which is really effective too is, getting their back by putting them in an arm triangle from guard (obviously don't attempt to finish it) and from there you can just scoot around (as if you're doing a climb around) as soon as you have their back you can just control their arms with your legs and sink the choke in.

Where about's do you train ajmcstyles? There's some great arm bar and triangle submissions that sound like it would be right down your alley but they are really hard to explain in writing. One technique I love using from the closed guard which is really effective too is, getting their back by putting them in an arm triangle from guard (obviously don't attempt to finish it) and from there you can just scoot around (as if you're doing a climb around) as soon as you have their back you can just control their arms with your legs and sink the choke in.

The triangle and armbar work on the rookies in the group but the more experienced once are very good at escaping a triangle and arm bars, we often practise escaping those holds. I'm not great on slapping submissions from full mount either, I go for an ezikiel but it just sets me up to be swept, I'm too weak to catch an arm for a figure 4 arm lock never tried to arm triangle but people know how to "answer the phone" which stops the move from being put on correctly.

I train with northern structure MMA and was going to start training with Caged Steel but money has just become really tight because of me being made redundant two of my team mates are fighting tomorrow in Leeds at the All or Nothing show. I was aiming to go watch but with me just being made redundant from my job money just has become extremely tight.

Archived