MMA In Training Thread (Striking, Grappling)

ajmcstyles

Where about's do you train ajmcstyles? There's some great arm bar and triangle submissions that sound like it would be right down your alley but they are really hard to explain in writing. One technique I love using from the closed guard which is really effective too is, getting their back by putting them in an arm triangle from guard (obviously don't attempt to finish it) and from there you can just scoot around (as if you're doing a climb around) as soon as you have their back you can just control their arms with your legs and sink the choke in.

The triangle and armbar work on the rookies in the group but the more experienced once are very good at escaping a triangle and arm bars, we often practise escaping those holds. I'm not great on slapping submissions from full mount either, I go for an ezikiel but it just sets me up to be swept, I'm too weak to catch an arm for a figure 4 arm lock never tried to arm triangle but people know how to "answer the phone" which stops the move from being put on correctly.

I train with northern structure MMA and was going to start training with Caged Steel but money has just become really tight because of me being made redundant two of my team mates are fighting tomorrow in Leeds at the All or Nothing show. I was aiming to go watch but with me just being made redundant from my job money just has become extremely tight.

Small world, I train at the caged steel gym (Well, Leeds cage) and the guys I train with were fighting there too. When opponents try and escape, there's always a counter to their escape, there's always something to counter that, you just need to look for what they give you. E.g when they answer the phone they are giving up that arm still so you can go to an arm bar or shoulder lock, same with triangles (generally you should be able to sink the triangle on even when they try and escape), You have the arm to attack anyway, or if they try and stack you, you can go for the knee bars and foot locks instead.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Small world, I train at the caged steel gym (Well, Leeds cage) and the guys I train with were fighting there too. When opponents try and escape, there's always a counter to their escape, there's always something to counter that, you just need to look for what they give you. E.g when they answer the phone they are giving up that arm still so you can go to an arm bar or shoulder lock, same with triangles (generally you should be able to sink the triangle on even when they try and escape), You have the arm to attack anyway, or if they try and stack you, you can go for the knee bars and foot locks instead.

Yeah Leeds Cage/Northern Structure are related ran by the same management or was. Unfortunately one of our guys lost in his semi final bout (second fight of that night) and another guy won by a arm bar.

I only have one bjj once a week its great for learning to move but I would like to learn some more subs, sweeps and the little hint and tips that make bjj that much more effective

Yeah Leeds Cage/Northern Structure are related ran by the same management or was. Unfortunately one of our guys lost in his semi final bout (second fight of that night) and another guy won by a arm bar.

I only have one bjj once a week its great for learning to move but I would like to learn some more subs, sweeps and the little hint and tips that make bjj that much more effective

Well if you ever pop into Leed's cage, look for the guy with either a strongbow, or Team Ortiz Ultimate fighter top and I'll be more than happy to show you some submissions and sweeps that work more often than not.

Well if you ever pop into Leed's cage, look for the guy with either a strongbow, or Team Ortiz Ultimate fighter top and I'll be more than happy to show you some submissions and sweeps that work more often than not.

I've got a free travel pass to get to Leeds via train how far is it away from the main train station and how much is it a session?

I've got a free travel pass to get to Leeds via train how far is it away from the main train station and how much is it a session?

From the station it's about a 10 minute walk (15 if you're a slow walker) if you ring in advance and say you're interested in training he gives a free week I believe (It's not something I've ever done but there's an advertisement saying there is...) It's

• Paid Members

I've been meaning to take up some form of grappling for a couple of years now. I've done Boxing and Muay Thai but I never really had a striker's frame. I'm quite short and stocky so I'd probably be more suited to grappling. I've always been really interested in BJJ and Judo and wanted to give them a go.

Might look into this soon. I live a bus ride away from the UTC gym where Vaughan Lee trains out of here in Birmingham aswell. Looks a top place to train from what I've seen.

Having just come off a weeks holiday from work, I decided to go to the gym and go to the open mat session yesterday. Now my back is killing me, it's annoying me any time I make any progression I end up injuring myself. Over the past couple of months my submission game from the top has come on leaps and bounds, this isn't the first time I hurt my back and that put me out for 2 weeks. The problem being I hurt myself and then I'm screwed when it comes to work, so i'm seriously considering knocking the training on the head. I can't have more time off work due to sickness.

• Paid Members

Yeah that's partly why I stopped Muay Thai training. I was working for my uncle at the time lugging bricks and sand about. It was no fun anyway but especially after bashing my shins to fuckery in training.

Walking round with black eye was a bit shit aswell. I used to get called Rocky in my local at the time cos I was always coming in with some kind of scrapes and bruises. It seemed to put girls off aswell and I was forever getting stopped by police.

It just got to the point where it was hindering me at work and while I enjoyed the training it was really just a hobby so I had to pack it in and put my job first cos thats what paid my bills.

I wish I could have stuck with it though.

I'm exactly the same, my training my trips to the gym and weight lifting for strength and conditioning training have done and a number on my right knee and my upper back.

I haven't even done any stand up sparring in 4 weeks either.

Really daft question but if there any "quicker" ways to heal up after a hardcore training session like Ice Baths etc...

• Paid Members

Ice does help from my experience. It eased some of the aches, pains and the odd swellings you pick up. Never had the full-on ice bath cos that first bit getting in looks brutal but I'd say it's gotta be worth a try. Especially for something like joint pain like your knee.

Maybe ask for advice from some of the gym regulars. There's loads of remedies for dealing with pain from training, maybe they can point you in the right direction. Like when I trained Thai I was told to always use liniment oil on my shins before and after training and it helped a lot. There's bath salts you can get aswell to ease your muscle pain after hard training but I never tried that.

In all the time I trained Muay Thai and Boxing probably the most common cause of pain and injuries was just from guys not warming up properly before training. It sounds so simple but just getting a sweat going before your workout can make the difference.

Like I said, I haven't done grappling training but I think this stuff still applies here.

The gym I go to normally starts you out doing a routine to get you warmed up for 20 minutes before you start anything. They way it's set up is there's a Monday Muay Thai clas for an hour with an hourr MMA session following it, so I do both same with the wednesday grappling sessions. Then I'll normally go to either the Friday or Saturday open mat sessions. Saturday I got there a bit late so only did 10 minutes of the warm up. I'm pretty certain I twisted my back when I was trying to hip escape. Of course with the adrenaline flowing you don't always notice stuff like this and it wasn't until the Sunday where I'd slept that it siezed up. I went into work this morning and they sent me home because I was walking lik an old man. I didn't feel too bad this morning otherwise, I;m just sat here with a hot water bottle against my back.

I'm exactly the same, my training my trips to the gym and weight lifting for strength and conditioning training have done and a number on my right knee and my upper back.

I haven't even done any stand up sparring in 4 weeks either.

Really daft question but if there any "quicker" ways to heal up after a hardcore training session like Ice Baths etc...

The acronym is R.I.C.E

Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate.

speeds recovery super fast. You should watch the T.V show "How to beat pain" It's basically 2 doctors looking into the best way to recover from common problems. One of them has a cage fight (at a UCMMA show) the professional fighter is told to beat the crap out of his legs, so he does, they use the rice method on one of the legs, and leave the other leg untreated and the results are tremendous. Definitely worth checking out.

Archived