Photo

Best Match of 2011

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

Poll: What was the best wrestling match of 2011? (153 member(s) have cast votes)

What was the best wrestling match of 2011?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell

Inter-Continental Champion

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,277 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

What was the best match of 2011?
Noted fantasist and indoor sunglasses wearer.

#2 HarmonicGenerator

HarmonicGenerator

UKFF Battle Rap Winner 2012

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

Quite a difficult one, but I've ended up going with the majority and choosing Punk/Cena.

#3 Loki

Loki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,497 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

Um, hang on. Bully Ray v Styles got plenty more nominations than the Destination X spotfest. As did HHH v Nash. Why are they not on the poll?

#4 tiger_rick

tiger_rick

Main Eventer

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,974 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

Dunno if you're right or not but it's massively irrelevant this year I think.

#5 Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,277 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

Um, hang on.

Bully Ray v Styles got plenty more nominations than the Destination X spotfest. As did HHH v Nash. Why are they not on the poll?

Those both got 4 each. The other match got 5.
Noted fantasist and indoor sunglasses wearer.

#6 TheBigBoot

TheBigBoot

European Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:57 PM

Haven't had time to rewatch but liked all the WWE matches first time around although Undertaker vs Triple H was the least of the four for me. Not sure about the TNA ones being amongst the six best of 2011. Watched the Destination X X Division match last night. It's entertaining enough for what it is, features a couple of guys I really rate and is a pretty good example of the style. Call me old fashioned but I still find it hard to compare that with top matches from WWE this past year. Same with Hogan/Sting which was an incredible performance in terms of working the crowd. In some ways that's the aim of all wrestling - getting people to buy into what you're selling them. I agree it doesn't all have to be about bumping (Edge/Ziggler), big moves (Taker/HHH; X Division match), over finishers (Cena/Punk; Orton/Christian; Taker/HHH), cool reversal spots (Orton/Christian; Edge/Ziggler) or feeling like an 'epic' (Cena/Punk; Taker/HHH) to be a good match. So I can see why people like it but again find it hard to compare to the very best WWE matches. I just feel the best match of the year should have something more.
“Boy, these two young twenty one year old kids in their early twenties are unbelievable!” (Jim Ross, Raw 13/12/99)

Articles & DVD Reviews:
http://www.wrestling...com/101/bio/71/

The only WrestleMania article you need to read this year:
TheBigBoot's Top Ten WrestleMania Opening Matches Of All Time

Now on Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheBigBoot

#7 ShortOrderCook

ShortOrderCook

European Champion

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:27 AM

So what did you go for as best match Boot? And why?