Chris Benoit dead

Scorpion_Deathlock

Didn't the Dynamite kid say something to the effect that if Chris keeps copying his style that he was going to have problems in later life? I'm sure I heard/read a comment like that somewhere, in which case it makes this even more sad as he was so right but no one listened.

• Paid Members

Didn't the Dynamite kid say something to the effect that if Chris keeps copying his style that he was going to have problems in later life? I'm sure I heard/read a comment like that somewhere, in which case it makes this even more sad as he was so right but no one listened.

He's quoted earlier in this thread, ending his message with "I'm glad he's dead".

How touching of Dynamite :laugh: twelve_grand - Thanks for the explanation. Not that I ever thought McMahon was a saint (he's a ruthless businessman in a sleazy business) but that's low. No it wouldn't stand up in court (and no Foley wouldn't be the person who'd want to do that), but it does give an insight into at least one example of what Vince considers acceptable behavior towards talent.

This is very worrying. I've always considered a concussion as one of the minor injuries a wrestler suffers (with the exception of a few cases, ie: Bret Hart, Steve Blackman, etc..). It wouldn't be difficult to think back and come up with a lot of bangs to the heads of wrestlers that could have caused this kind of injury. Off the top of my head, there's Kurt vs Shane's street fight when he doesn't go through the glass and takes an unprotected bump onto his head on concrete, the announcers table collapsing as HHH tries to pedigree Kurt, Lesnar's WM19 SSP, TAKA's rumble elimination, and so on.Also, I've had 2 concussions so far, so go gently with me.

Yep - I think I've been knocked out about 6 times (several of those at a very young age), as is the way of these things I think I was concussed a couple of times but not sure - so all good!What the evidence suggests (and most UK sports recognise) is that repeated concussions within a short period of time is an extremely bad thing. And having multiple concussions over a longer period of time increases risks. Therefore having undiagnosised and untreated (by rest periods in sports) is a very bad thing. Surprisingly enough the culture of wrestling in particular hits all of the boxes. Think how long the wrestlers you names above (and there are a huge number of non-obvious concussions in wrestling) took off after suffering those injuries! In fact most of them gutted out the match and took more impact moves.The latest research is producing strong evidence that head injuries (probably caused by concussions) in american football and wrestling can be linked with a wide range of psycolocial (sp!) symptons - which might hopefully lead to improvements in American Football (conpulsory sit out periods of 3 weeks for concussions similar to rugby). In wrestling I'd hope for brain scans to be introduced to the wellness test - however I suspect they might have to take the whole rota off the road so don't hold your breath.

• Paid Members

That's the effect that wrestling 'Benoit style' for 20 years will have on the brain. This has to be about as extreme a case as you can possibly get. It's a bit melodramatic to say that you don't want to have any interest in wrestling anymore having seen this as if it happens to everyone who ever steps in the ring. Think how OTT Benoit pushed himself, you would almost have to litterally go out of your way to end up with results like that.

Dunno about that. Concussions were absolutely rife on a nightly basis in ECW for example, or off the top of my head, Vampiro getting two concussions two nights running in WCW as one example out of a thousand, so there might be a hundred ticking time bombs out there. Probably not on as grand a scale as Benoit, but on the level of the Smothers post above, Dick Slater stabbing his girlfriend, Mike Awesome hanging himself, or whatever other wacky behaviour everyone just puts down to "ah, those crazy wrasslers."
Yes, but to be fair, ECW's style was always hell-for-leather, much less restrained than the WWE or WCW styles. It was the template for RoH, which is a very "extreme" style as well.If you were to wrestle WoS, Memphis, WCW or WWF/E style, you probably stand less chance of receiving that many concussions.

• Paid Members

Does no one think its about time this thread was locked and put away to rest. Need to start moving on...

Not really - there are still further developments to follow, it seems. It's not just about Benoit's death, it's about the impact he had, and the implications for the industry.