Chris Benoit dead

Scorpion_Deathlock

So does this mean the company will actually have a legitimate testing, and that big hulking stiffs like Lashley and Masters are gonna shrink or sod off?

• Paid Members

The letter:

Dear Mr. McMahon:The tragic deaths of World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) star Chris Benoitand his family have raised questions about reports of widespread use of steroids and otherperformance-enhancing drugs by professional wrestlers. These allegations - whichinclude first-hand reports of steroid use by prominent former wrestlers - have swirledaround the WWE for over a decade. Investigations by journalists have described aculture of performance-enhancing drug use in professional wrestling, high fatality ratesamong young professional wrestlers, and an inability or unwillingness of WWE toaddress these problems.'The WWE is the world's largest professional wrestling organization, employinghundreds of professional wrestlers, promoting thousands of wrestling matches, andmaking tens of millions of dollars annually. WWE wrestlers are multi-media stars thathave an influence on the behavior and attitudes of the nation's youth. WWE has aresponsibility to do everything possible to eliminate the use of performance-enhancingdrugs - or the perception of such use - by its wrestlers.The House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform has investigated theuse of steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs in baseball and other professionalsports. As part of the Committee's on-going investigations into the illegal use of steroidsand other drugs in sports, we ask that you provide the Committee with the followingdocuments:L A complete copy of the current drug testing policy, as well as each drug testingpolicy that has been in place since WWE or its predecessor orgarization, theWorld Wrestling Federation (WWF), first began testing for performanceenhancingdrugs. The information provided should include, but not be limited to:a. The list of drugs covered by the policies;b. The entities responsible for testing and administration of the program;c. The testing schedule, including the number of tests conductedannually, the notice provided to wrestlers prior to testing, and themethodology used for random testing;d. The protocols that are followed after a positive test;The penalties for wrestlers who test positive;The adjudication process for wrestlers who test positive; andThe protocol for therapeutic use exemptions for WWE wrestlers.2. For each drug policy provided in response to request (l), all internal documentsregarding the formulation of the policy by the WWE or the WWF.3. Summary information on the results of testing for performance-enhancing drugsfor each year apolicy was in effect. The Committee is requesting summaryinformation in response to request (3), and does not require identification ofindividual wrestlers. Please include information on:The number of tests conducted each year;The number of wrestlers tested each year;The number of positive results;The number of positive results for each specific drug;The number of positive tests for which wrestlers were penalized, andthe penalties assessed; andThe number of positive rests for which wrestlers received therapeuticuse exemptions or for which no penalty was assessed.f.4. Results of any investigations prepared by or for the WWE or the WWF regardingthe deaths, injuries, or illnesses of current or former professional wrestlers thatmay have been related to the use of steroids or other performance-enhancingdrugs.5. Other internal WWE or WWF documents relating to deaths, injuries, or illnessesof current or former professional wrestlers that may have been related to the useof steroids or other performance-enhancing drugs.6. All communications between the WWE or the WWF and outside entities.including communications with health professionals or law enforcementauthorities, regarding allegations of drug use by wrestlers.We ask that you provide this information to the Committee by August 24,2007.The Committee on Oversight and Government Reform is the principal oversightcommittee in the House of Representatives and has broad oversight jurisdiction as setforth in House Rule X. An attachment to this letter provides additional information abouthow to respond to the Committee's request.If you have any questions regarding this letter, please contact Brian Cohen of themajority staff at (202) 225-5051 or Susie Schulte of the minority staff at (202) 225-5074.

In an as-of-yet unrelated note that may seem totally off-topic, but may also wind up being totally on-topic, the July 30th Wrestling Observer reports that there are tentative plans to retire the WWE Cruiserweight title (hence Hornswoggle winning it, burying the title) and setting up a more serious, pushed TNA-like 'X-Division' and new title belt, with the division having a new name other than 'cruiserweights' and 'light heavyweights'. I'll believe all of this when I see it like, but it makes sense to start pushing 'smaller' guys, given the way this Congressional investigation and will sure go and wind up.

Edited by ClassicsGuy

In an as-of-yet unrelated note that may seem totally off-topic, but may also wind up being totally on-topic, the July 30th Wrestling Observer reports that there are tentative plans to retire the WWE Cruiserweight title (hence Hornswoggle winning it, burying the title) and setting up a more serious, pushed TNA-like 'X-Division' and new title belt, with the division having a new name other than 'cruiserweights' and 'light heavyweights'. I'll believe all of this when I see it like, but it makes sense to start pushing 'smaller' guys, given the way this Congressional investigation and will sure go and wind up.

That I would like to see.......................

One question has been resolved in my mind.Vince McMahon is a Libertarian as opposed to the Republican I thought he was.This sentence gets me:

The tragic deaths of World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) star Chris Benoitand his family have raised questions about reports of widespread use of steroids and otherperformance-enhancing drugs by professional wrestlers

Steroids and performance enhancing drugs have been used in wrestling for at least a fucking generation. Over a decade is being a bit generous I expected the press to only give a fuck after a woman and child were murdered. Now the politicians are acting the same way. And you can be pretty sure that if the bete-noir for steroids in sports, Barry Bonds, wasn't approaching the baseball home run record, none of this would come up.

I just bought the tabloid GLOBE in which there is an exclusive interview with Tom Billington, one half of the British Bulldogs.Title of the article "I Tried To Save Chris Benoit" August 6th issueBritish Bulldog Tom warned young wrestler, steroids were making him a deadly monster. Story is on pages 10 and 11 and well worth a read Chris who killed his wife and child before committing suicide, would be alive today - and so would his family - if he'd listened to the warnings of his ring hero and mentor. A wheel-chair bound Billington blames 'roid rage for the tragic deaths and reveals he tried to save Benoit by counseling him to curb his massive drug use. The autopsy of Benoit showed that he filled his body with a laundry list of drugs. Instead of controlling his drug use, he overdid the steroids and it ended in tragedy. Belington said, the majority of wrestlers all shared more or less the same lifestyle. We were living life in the fast lane. Bellington said, "I feel no sympathy for him. We all knew the dangers. Benoit should have known his limits. We've all been through it, but we didn't take it out on our loved ones. His poor wife and child didn't deserve to die because Benoit screwed his life up. "I'm glad he's dead." Pictures in article include, Billington sitting in his wheelchair, The Bulldogs, Chris in ring, Nancy and Daniel and the funeral services for Nancy and Daniel with photo of Nancy's Mom, Dad and sister.

Edited by Gossy

• Paid Members

WWE has a responsibility to do everything possible to eliminate the use of performance-enhancingdrugs - or the perception of such use - by its wrestlers.

This seems like good news overall, but I don't understand this bit. Are they trying to say that WWE should not use, or limit the use of guys who look like they're on something, even if they're not?

WWE has a responsibility to do everything possible to eliminate the use of performance-enhancingdrugs - or the perception of such use - by its wrestlers.

This seems like good news overall, but I don't understand this bit. Are they trying to say that WWE should not use, or limit the use of guys who look like they're on something, even if they're not?
No, it means they should have legitimate testing instead of the backfired PR stunt they have just now. In turn that would eventually change the public perception of everyone using roids, especially when 90% of the roster shrinks.