Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

I live in a pre-war brick built house, my wifi router is downstairs and I keep getting drop out on my phone when I try to connect upstairs (I assume because of the thickness of the walls). What is the best and cheapest way round this? I know about wifi repeaters/boosters and I borrowed one from work, but for me to use it I had to turn off the password on my wifi. I didn't really want to do that, plus I don't think you can turn off the wifi password on Virgin wifi routers.

I've seen some cheap one's on Ebay but I'm a bit dubious and don't want to find I have the same problem with the password situation.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get a better wifi router, one with N+ if you haven't already.

If you're using a router given to you by BT or whoever, then it's your shitty router that's at fault. Spend a bit of cash on a decent one.

I'm with Virgin, which complicates things slightly. The way they used to have there set up, they had a separate modem and router, with there new one (which I have, and I believe is an N router) the two are combined. If I was to buy a separate sole router, I don't think it would work.

• Awards Moderator
I'm with Virgin, which complicates things slightly. The way they used to have there set up, they had a separate modem and router, with there new one (which I have, and I believe is an N router) the two are combined. If I was to buy a separate sole router, I don't think it would work.

You can buy any combination of these, separately or together. Search for your ISP + best router or your ISP + best modem router and also add whether you are fibre or DSL. There's often a concensus around the best devices for your setup.

Think Broadband is also a good place to find out improved setups for your config.

• Awards Moderator
You can buy any combination of these, separately or together. Search for your ISP + best router or your ISP + best modem router and also add whether you are fibre or DSL.

You can't use a 3rd party modem on Virgin (Cable).

Aaaaahhh, cable! He didn't say that.

Archived