Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

Im thinking about upgrading my pc within a week or two and wondered if there are any decent places to get one.Local shop has a 2.7ghz one with 3 gig of ram on xp which is good for me as the games I want to play wont run on 7. Think the guy said its a AMD 6800+ however hes asking 150 and wondered if this is a fair price.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But why would it have just started happening? Has Firefox just had a really intensive update? I've actually got 4GB of RAM, but I'm clinging to 32-bit XP so it only recognises 3. I might finally bite the bullet and load Windows 7 on.

That I cant answer but seeing as sites and software get more intensive all the time and my virtual memory was being completely hammered all the time all of a sudden, yet isnt now, then it may be worth looking into?

It happens on Google. Whatever web page I'm on doesn't seem to be making any odds to the CPU usage, unless every page on the Internet has updated and become more memory-intensive this week. Firefox actually crashes if I try to reply to emails on the Outlook site.

I am after a bit of advice...for the last year or so I have been watching films and TV shows by downloading them from torrent sites. Now that these places are coming harder to access (even with a proxy I can no longer access Kick Ass Torrents). I have resigned myself to shelling out for something like Netflix but have a few questions:. Which is the best site to sign up with ? Netflix ? Love Film ? Or something else ? I watch a lot of American shows so which is the best one to get for that sort of thing ?. Do any of the sites allow you to download the films ? I currently download films/shows onto a USB pen and then plug into my TV or Blu Ray Player and play the files from there. If I can only stream the files to my laptop then that is going to be a pain. Is there a decent set top box on the market that I can plug into my Broadband Router and my TV and get Netflix (or similar) on there ?Any help would be much appreciated

You can't download stuff from Netflix, FBM. But there are set-top boxes such as the Roku (and probably much cheaper alternatives) that you can buy to use it. I'd say Netflix is better than Lovefilm, but you can get the free trials for both and see which you prefer.

Are you running a load of extensions in Firefox? If so does it still hammer the CPU if you start it with them all disabled?

Edit: It's Avast WebRep that's causing it.

• Paid Members

If you still want to use torrents and don't mind a bit of fiddling about to get it working at first, try a seedbox. They usually have a linux box you can vnc to that lets you browse any torrent site and has a torrent client with 10Mbps connection. You then download the files from the seedbox to your pc or mac or mobile device via ftp or http

• Paid Members

Anyone here been to the Prince Charles Cinema in Leicester Square? Headed to London either next weekend or the weekend after. I saw that next Saturday, they are showing Alien and Predator back to back and not sure i can bring myself not to go and watch Predator on the big screen.

• Paid Members

You can't download stuff from Netflix.

Is this right? I watched Season 4 of AD a couple days after it went out on Netflix not on Netflix. I guess maybe that was some sort of capturing rather then downloading.

• Moderators

Anyone here been to the Prince Charles Cinema in Leicester Square? Headed to London either next weekend or the weekend after. I saw that next Saturday, they are showing Alien and Predator back to back and not sure i can bring myself not to go and watch Predator on the big screen.

The patrons of the PCC are film-ruining knobs. Somerset House are doing an outdoor screening of Predator in August, I'm going to that.

• Paid Members

That was my suspicion to be honest, that it'd either be great to watch it in a small theatre full of like minded people, or that it'd be fucking murder watching it in a small theatre full of people trying to be the person who likes it the most.Yeah, i heard about that somewhere. Geography is terrible though, so i've no idea if that's feasible for me.

Archived