Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members
Is it possible to record something on your Sky + HD box, take the box to somebody elses house and watch the recorded programme there?

There is no technical reason why not, but Sky are notouriously arsey about their equipment and how it's used. With any other Digital TV recorder you can use it from the get-go, but with Sky+ they can switch your recording facility on and off as they like.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Is it possible to record something on your Sky + HD box, take the box to somebody elses house and watch the recorded programme there?

My uncles a Sky engineer, so if you're still needing an answer by morning time i'll give him a phone if you want, i'd imagine it wouldn't work unless the house you're going to already had a Sky box and dish set up already and you'd just put the cables into your box etc, can't see it working otherwise as you wouldn't get a signal.

Morning all, I have a question about exchange rates.

Can somebody tell me what, in the current economy, a "good" exchange rate is from pounds to dollars please? I'm going on holiday to the US in November, but I'm going to get one of those Thomas Cook debit cards that you can load money on whenever you like and use abroad. As a result, I want to be putting money on it when the rate is good, not shit, to get a little more.

So, for example, a quick Google check shows us...

1 British pound = 1.5044 U.S. dollars

How's this in current times? Is it likely to improve or get worse substantially based on recent history? I'm a total dunce on this one so any help from people who follow this sort of thing would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

• Awards Moderator

That's not a bad rate, but that may not be the rate you get in the shops/when you load your card as they often advertise a business rate but then have a commercial 'we buy for' and 'we sell for' rate too, which is usually a bit lower.

I've just got back from the States and, due to piss-poor preparation, ended up just using my Visa Debit card over there to draw money. The rate I was getting was varying between $1.41 and $1.43 to

Can somebody tell me what, in the current economy, a "good" exchange rate is from pounds to dollars please? I'm going on holiday to the US in November, but I'm going to get one of those Thomas Cook debit cards that you can load money on whenever you like and use abroad. As a result, I want to be putting money on it when the rate is good, not shit, to get a little more.

How's this in current times? Is it likely to improve or get worse substantially based on recent history? I'm a total dunce on this one so any help from people who follow this sort of thing would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

That's a bloody good price, but you'll be unlikely to find that price in any travel agent, as it's likely to be a business exchange rate and not a tourist one.

I've been to America 4 times in the last few years and I've seen the rate go from $1.85 to down to as low as $1.43. At the moment, it's pretty dire, but it's unlikely to get much worse, unless the Government does some serious fucking up. Confidence is getting a bit better though, so it may creep up to that $1.50 mark, but if you end up with $1.46/7, you've not done too badly.

The main advice is that if a second General Election is likely to be called later this year, get your money sorted before, as it's going to be a bit of a minefield afterwards unless one party gets a clear win, which I would assume is pretty unlikely.

• Paid Members

Cheers

Its been around that mark for a few years now, and isnt likely to go up or down substantially in the near future. I can remember the first two times I went to NY when its near enough bang on 2 dollars to 1 pound. Those were the days :(

• Awards Moderator

On a related note NEWM, don't forget you need to complete an online ESTA application prior to travel. There are a few sites who try to charge you for it, but at present it's free to complete for UK citizens at https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/. It's due to change in September though and there will be a mandatory $10 per person, each way charge so it's best to fill it in before then. I know it only equates to about thirty quid, but if you're getting married then I'm sure you're watching the pennies.

The ESTA lasts for two years too, so you won't face the charge if you decide to go back to the States in that time.

Out of interest, where are you off to?

Thanks for all the advice and tips guys, really appreciate it.

Waterboy - Going to Florida for two weeks for our honeymoon. We both love theme parks, she loves Disney, I really fancied somewhere in America, and really didn't fancy a beach for a fortnight, so it was the perfect compromise. We got a good deal on our hotel, as it has inclusive food and free shuttles to Disney, Universal, Busch Gardens and the water parks, which freed up the cash to buy the 14/7 day park hoppers for all the places. Hopefully no stone will go unturned in the two weeks. I've never been to America, I can't wait, I couldn't give a fuck how touristy it is too, I'm going to be the tackiest tack that ever tacked when it comes to shitty gimmicky stuff.

• Awards Moderator

Sounds cracking!

It's probably even tackier than you could imagine, but in a classy way. If that makes sense. For the amount of stick the Yanks get, their organisation and customer service is unbelievable. Their parks put ours to shame, too. Universal and Busch are the best of the lot and try to get to Gatorland if you get half a day to spare. There are a shitload of good outlet villages too, for some bargain shopping. You might want to keep that to yourself though.

• Awards Moderator
The ESTA lasts for two years too, so you won't face the charge if you decide to go back to the States in that time.

Does it really? I've filled it in 3 times in the last 18 months without knowing.

Same here; I've been twice in 6 months and didn't have a clue. I only found out the other day when my old man, who'll do anything to save a few quid, sent me this link, knowing I'm going back in December.

• Paid Members

I too will be in Florida in November as it happens! That's why I'm here actually...

Anybody know when they usually announce the NBA fixtures for the upcoming season?

Does anyone know what song is faintly playing in the background in Silence of the Lambs at around the 1 hour 32 mark when Clarice is interviewing the woman in the restaurant?

The scene is almost directly after the Buffalo Bill/Goodbye Horses dance, if that helps. It sounds like New Order, but it's been bugging me for years and it the track doesn't appear to be on the Lambs soundtrack album, either.

Archived