Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

I was going to add that. Please explain the retardedness for me, I have barely followed NOAH this year, or is it the fact it has no relevence to ROH storyline-wise?

This, and also because it means that no ROH regulars get the rub from wrestling Misawa. NOAH-wise it makes as much sense as anything else they book these days, and it would be a decent sized match on one of their shows (Although I dispute it being a "Budokan Level Main Event" as Gabe has called it) but if you've got Misawa for a whole two matches, why waste one as an exhibition bout?

Guest Josh Jenkins

By the way, where did you find this out? I can't see it anywhere on the ROH Boards.EDIT: Just went on the site and saw it.

Edited by Josh Jenkins

By the way, where did you find this out? I can't see it anywhere on the ROH Boards.

It was announced on the board last night, and there's an article about it on the main website front page right now :)The article says "The Manhattan match will be decided by the events of the current tour" so I'm guessing they're waiting for Misawa to retain the belt over Saito before announcing a title defence in ROH... Edited by Leicester Lantern

• Paid Members

I was going to add that. Please explain the retardedness for me, I have barely followed NOAH this year, or is it the fact it has no relevence to ROH storyline-wise?

This, and also because it means that no ROH regulars get the rub from wrestling Misawa. NOAH-wise it makes as much sense as anything else they book these days, and it would be a decent sized match on one of their shows (Although I dispute it being a "Budokan Level Main Event" as Gabe has called it) but if you've got Misawa for a whole two matches, why waste one as an exhibition bout?
I kinda figured it'd be on those lines, but needed to see it written. Misawa being a) GHC title holder and b) less likely/capable to sell for those lower down the pecking order than him surely diminishes his ability to give an ROHer the rub just from being in the ring with them, unlike say Kobashi did for Joe and even Ki... What sort of match would you have been hoping for LL?

Do you think Misawa will sell less for a top ROH guy than Kobashi did? He was doing 50/50 indy wrestling style exchanges with Marufuji last year, and made Sano (Who is certainly down the pecking order) and Bison Smith (Who's Gaijin and useless) look as much as a threat as possible as well. He wimped out of a strike exchange with (All Japan Affiliated Freelancer) Kensuke Sasaki last time they wrestled as well. He's started embracing the fact he's broken down and old in his matches now, which is working awesomely for him. Misawa desperately grabbing a cross arm bar on Taue as the NOAH crowd boo him for taking the cheap way out is my wrestling moment of the year so far.I think he'd give, say, Nigel a lot in a match, being as he's a pretty well protected heavyweight in NOAH anyway. And that's one of the matches I'd like to see, Misawa Vs Nigel for the GHC. Sure, we all know Nigel isn't going over, but we knew that when he got the shot against Marufuji and the live heat was still insane. I guess the problem with that is the relatively short amount of time since he got his last shot, but ROH really don't have another credible heavyweight to put in there with Mitsy. Unless they take a HUGE risk on Claudio. And I don't think he'd want to sell loads for a junior in a singles match.If I was booking it, I'd probably do - Nigel Vs MisawaandNigel and Claudio Vs Misawa and Morishima.

Edited by Leicester Lantern

• Paid Members

Do you think Misawa will sell less for a top ROH guy than Kobashi did? He was doing 50/50 indy wrestling style exchanges with Marufuji last year, and made Sano (Who is certainly down the pecking order) and Bison Smith (Who's Gaijin and useless) look as much as a threat as possible as well. He wimped out of a strike exchange with (All Japan Affiliated Freelancer) Kensuke Sasaki last time they wrestled as well. He's started embracing the fact he's broken down and old in his matches now, which is working awesomely for him. Misawa desperately grabbing a cross arm bar on Taue as the NOAH crowd boo him for taking the cheap way out is my wrestling moment of the year so far.I think he'd give, say, Nigel a lot in a match, being as he's a pretty well protected heavyweight in NOAH anyway. And that's one of the matches I'd like to see, Misawa Vs Nigel for the GHC. Sure, we all know Nigel isn't going over, but we knew that when he got the shot against Marufuji and the live heat was still insane. I guess the problem with that is the relatively short amount of time since he got his last shot, but ROH really don't have another credible heavyweight to put in there with Mitsy. Unless they take a HUGE risk on Claudio. And I don't think he'd want to sell loads for a junior in a singles match.If I was booking it, I'd probably do - Nigel Vs MisawaandNigel and Claudio Vs Misawa and Morishima.

I like the tag match idea, but there seems to be something of a Nigel backlash in the last couple of months, bloody fickle ROH fans. Nige certainly seems to be in a slightly more midcard spot since the second shot at Morishima. The problem is most of the big ROH names are indeed juniors, and of the heavyweights, none of them are at the level Joe was at when he went against Kobashi, so I don't see Misawa having as good a match or giving them the rub like Kobashi did Joe. The tag match they have made is certainly the safe option, especially when it comes to 'having a good match', much like Misawa's match over here at International Showdown.

Yeah, but Showdown was booked for the express purpose of having a number of exhibition matches. ROH are an ongoing promotion who need to think about more than selling out a venue (Especially considering Manhattan always sells out anyway) and more about creating their own stars. I'm not sure this will even sell that many extra DVD's, considering you can see matches like it on every big NOAH show. Joe/Kobashi was something new and different.From what I can tell, ROH have four Heavyweight top line guys right now. Nigel, Albright, Claudio and Hero. Everyone else is either too low on the pecking order or a junior heavyweight. One of those guys needs the match with Misawa. Hero wont get it. Albright doesn't deserve it. Claudio is too big a risk. It has to be Nigel.

*Prays for Misawa vs. Dragon*

Sounds great on paper, but would Misawa really want a singles match against a guy who's a junior in NOAH? If he took it, would he give Dragon enough to make it worthwhile? Nigel may not be a big time star in Japan, but he's a Heavyweight who's only lost a handful of falls in all his tours there. Edited by Leicester Lantern

Really looking forward to the Misawa stuff~~I watched the United We Stand main Fri morn - Nigel & Danielson vs. Morishima & Marufuji - as you can guess, great stuff. Also, I got the 2 disc version of the PPV even though I had the broadcast version as the 'retail' as bonus matches, I enjoyed the tag team scramble match although Franklin and Pelle look right out of place.EZ

Edited by Ez Money

So far, as far as stables in ROH go, we have:* No Remorse Corps: Roderick Strong, Davey Richards and Rocky Romero* Resilience: Austin Aries, Matt Cross and Erik Stevens* Vulture Squad: Jack Evans and Ruckus w/Julius Smokes* Sweet 'N' Sour Inc: Chris Hero, Tank Toland, Bobby Dempsey and Sara Del Ray w/Larry Sweeney* Hangman 3: Brent Albright, Adam Pearce and BJ Whitmer* The Age of the Fall (formerly Prjoject 161): Jimmy Jacobs, Tyler Black and Necro ButcherNo wonder the fans were chanting 'No More Factions' last night :-/ It is kind of getting to overkill.