Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

• Awards Moderator

Caged Rage (August 24th show) is definitely going on my To Buy As Soon As I Can list now that it has Pac vs. Danielson. That will be one HELL of a match. Not sure how Pac vs. Davey will go - maybe Pac's going into some sort of thing with the NRC, since he did face Roderick in his debut and all.

Caged Rage (August 24th show) is definitely going on my To Buy As Soon As I Can list now that it has Pac vs. Danielson. That will be one HELL of a match. Not sure how Pac vs. Davey will go - maybe Pac's going into some sort of thing with the NRC, since he did face Roderick in his debut and all.

Following matches also added to the card;Four Corner SurvivalNigel McGuinness vs. Delirious vs. BJ Whitmer vs. Adam PearceSpecial Challenge MatchHallowicked vs. Chris Hero with Larry Sweeney, Sara Del Rey, Tank Toland & Bobby DempseyKeep me right. Does Four Corner matches have one pinfall to finish the match or are they elimination?

• 2 weeks later...

Right! I've finally got my appetite for ROH back and I've decided that come the next Buy 3 Get one Free offer I'm going to try to catch up.The last show I watched was Final Battle 2006 so I've got the best part of 2007 to cover.The fifth year festival doesn't look as unmissable as the Milestone series the year before so I was thinking of getting the first two shows and the last two shows (the UK ones) and skipping the ones in the middle. Then I was gonna get the All Star Extravaganza III, Supercard of Honor II(SUCH a lame name for a show) and then I'm a bit stuck. This Means War II looks missable but I think I'll get Fighting Spirit. I think I could posisbly miss Battle of St Paul and go straight to Good Times Great Memories. Is there anyone whos further ahead with their watching who can let me know if i'd be missing anything worthwhile (or buying something thats not 'must see').Cheers

Guest Josh Jenkins

Right! I've finally got my appetite for ROH back and I've decided that come the next Buy 3 Get one Free offer I'm going to try to catch up.The last show I watched was Final Battle 2006 so I've got the best part of 2007 to cover.The fifth year festival doesn't look as unmissable as the Milestone series the year before so I was thinking of getting the first two shows and the last two shows (the UK ones) and skipping the ones in the middle. Then I was gonna get the All Star Extravaganza III, Supercard of Honor II(SUCH a lame name for a show) and then I'm a bit stuck. This Means War II looks missable but I think I'll get Fighting Spirit. I think I could posisbly miss Battle of St Paul and go straight to Good Times Great Memories. Is there anyone whos further ahead with their watching who can let me know if i'd be missing anything worthwhile (or buying something thats not 'must see').Cheers

The 'must see' shows of this year IMO are Fifth Year Festival: NYC, Fifth Year Festival: Finale, Supercard of Honor II and Good Times Great Memories. I haven't seen all of them though so there are probably a few more gems.

• Paid Members

That's not a bad selection of shows at all there. You might want to look at changing the Philly show from the Fifth Year Festival for the Chicago one, but it depends on your exact view of the line-ups. Definitely buy the UK and Detroit shows. All the April shows are pretty good, but in terms of storylines the two you have chosen are the most important of the four, and GTGM is an awesome show. After that, you'll be needing the Respect is Earned PPV show which comes on a two-disc set, though I haven't seen that far forward yet, I bought Reborn Again, Respect is Earned, A Fight at the Roxbury, Domination and the shows from Japan when I was at the show in Manhattan last weekend.

• Awards Moderator

That's not a bad selection of shows at all there. You might want to look at changing the Philly show from the Fifth Year Festival for the Chicago one, but it depends on your exact view of the line-ups. Definitely buy the UK and Detroit shows. All the April shows are pretty good, but in terms of storylines the two you have chosen are the most important of the four, and GTGM is an awesome show. After that, you'll be needing the Respect is Earned PPV show which comes on a two-disc set, though I haven't seen that far forward yet, I bought Reborn Again, Respect is Earned, A Fight at the Roxbury, Domination and the shows from Japan when I was at the show in Manhattan last weekend.
Very nice how you just casually slipped that bit of information in. How was the show live?

Sweet. Cheers for your help. This happens to me every few months. I go through a poor spell or just lose interest and then I fancy the new shows and have to catch up.

• Paid Members

August 30th: We have many more exciting matches to announce for 9/14 "Motor City Madness '07" in Detroit. El Generico has been on fire lately in his feud against The Briscoes and his recent trip to the finals in the "Race To The Top" tournament. Generico will face the biggest singles test of his career in Detroit. It will be a first time ever contest of El Generico vs. Naomichi Marufuji in Detroit!!!

Generico vs Marufuji!?!Also, a promo video is up for the Driven PPV, which was taped in Chicago (plus a Bryan Danielson vs Nigel McGuinness match from Philly) in June, on ROHvideos.com

• Paid Members

I watched Reborn Again yesterday.

It was a weird show - very much filler between Good Times, Great Memories where Chris Daniels, Homicide, SHINGO and Colt Cabana finished their ROH stints and the Respect is Earned PPV show. That said, Bryan Danielson returns here and there's things to enjoy for the ROH completist.

Danielson finds time to ridicule the show name at the start of a pre-show promo... nice to have Dragon back.

At the start of the show, the cameraman manning the hard cam has to adjust the view due to the bright yellow "Section A" sign being at the bottom of the screen, bang in the middle. That sort of thing is uncharacteristic for ROH, in that it makes the production look minor league.

Jimmy Rave beats Pelle Primeau in a shortish match in revenge for a loss months previously, Daizee Haze beats Nikki Roxx in a fair match with a barely edited out nipup botch from Roxx, Steen and Generico beat Jason Blade and Eddie Edwards in a watchable tag encounter, and Claudio Castagnoli beats Bobby Fish in a flat match, and we have four matches out of the way in well under an hour.

The show picks up some steam with the return of Danielson. First he kills Shane Hagadorn, after Hagadorn does Danielson's entrance disguised in Dragon's old jedi robe. This is fun, but still makes the show feel inconsequential in the long run. Adam Pearce jumps Danielson, but also goes down pretty quickly to a leg grapevine submission. The best parts of this so far are Pearce's mic work before Danielson comes out, and Danielson winning with minor submissions from his repertoire.

The No Remorse Corps are out next to offer Danielson a spot in the faction, but he turns them down, and they scarper as Erick Stevens and Matt Cross of the Resilience run out. Danielson agrees to fight with them, if not join their faction, in a six man against the No Remorse Corps. Finally, there's some in ring action to get your teeth into here, mainly with the NRC destroying Cross until the hot tag to Stevens, who I'm really impressed with so far. After a melee, and a convincing near-submission where all three NRC members have their opponents in holds, Davey Richards pins Cross after a Romero kick and the DR Driver.

The second half of the show starts with Tank Toland doing his Natural Athlete routine on Mitch Franklin, which is amusing for a bit but goes on for too long, this would never make a major ROH show.

We eventually get to the business part of the card, as first Naomichi Marufuji beats Matt Sydal in about 15 minutes with the Shiranui. I'd probably pick this as match of the show, certainly from an action standpoint, as Sydal meshes well with the former GHC Heavyweight Champion before going down in the end. Then KENTA beats Delirious with Go 2 Sleep in a longer match, with less to enjoy in the middle section between Delirious' antics and the build to the finish, but good stuff overall.

Finally, the Briscoes defend the tag titles against World Champion Takeshi Morishima and BJ Whitmer. The crowd shit all over BJ in this position on the show, and he doesn't make up for it with a dynamic performance. The Briscoes aren't in the position to have a spotfest with Morishima and Whitmer, but the exchanges with Morishima and the Briscoes, especially Jay, are entertaining as he shrugs off most of their offence and kills them. I'm looking forward to Morishima vs Jay, which I think happened in June sometime, and I hope it comes anywhere close to Samoa Joe's matches with Jay for the World Title in October 2003 and March 2004 (though the Cage match in 2004 was brutal). After miscommunication between the challengers, Whitmer goes down for the pin, as part of his downward spiral after losing his feud with Jimmy Jacobs. Nobody cares, which is why his later heel turn might work.

The DVD finishes with the first of the 'Jimmy Jacobs romances Lacey' videos that it feels like months since I watched on youtube. Overall, the DVD runs 2 hours 49 minutes, and is entertaining but far from essential.

Guest Josh Jenkins

The first Misawa in ROH match has been announced as...Misawa and KENTA Vs Morishima and Marufuji.Retarded.

If Misawa is coming to the US for a once in a lifetime match, why the hell would they book him in a match with 3 other NOAH wrestlers?