Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

War of the Worlds was very good. The opening segment with the Bullet Club was the highlight of the show for me. They carried themselves like huge stars and the crowd reacted to them like they were a big deal. I don't know if I've ever seen AJ Styles look so important. His title defense against Okada and Elgin was fine stuff also. Forget Eric Young, Styles came across as THE man outside of WWE on this show.

The rest of the card was quality stuff for the most part. I did notice that nearly every bout featured a dive to the outside, meaning the spot has become to ROH what the table spot was to ECW.

If TNA doesn't last the year as many are predicting, it would be great to see someone like Bobby Roode in ROH. He would fit right in.

Edited by the flananator

I also finally got round to watching War Of The Worlds last night, It blew Global Wars out of the water! What a show! Steen/Nakamura, Cole/Liger and Styles/Elgin/Okada were extremely good. Young Bucks/reDRagon stole the show though IMO, There 1st match was awesome but this was something else! Probably my MOTY so far for ROH in 2014.

Best In The World is shaping up to be a good card. Steen/Young and Cole/Elgin should be good to great. I expect amazing things from reDRagon/Bad Influence though! I just hope its not a forgone conclusion that Elgin wins here, I mean i like Elgin but i don't want Cole's reign to end just yet.

Also did anyone see this?

:laugh: Edited by Only_The_Strong_Survive

I think Elgin's winning based on WWE and New Japan both telling Elgin they have no interest in him. He's gutted currently. I imagine they will be seeking some kind of moral booster for him by giving him the belt.

Any idea why neither are interested. I know he hasn't quite got the 'look' for WWE at least but i still think something could be done with him.

• Paid Members

No idea. They didn't take Ricochet and Adam Cole either, and I thought they were going to be snapped up. Apparently they have KENTA, Steen and Devitt coming in, so it could be a case that they'll revisit Elgin down the road. There's no way Cole wont be in WWE eventually. Triple H said on that conference call the other week developmental is as much about what they are looking for currently. They got rid of Chris Hero, but they left the door open for him if he ever gets in the shape they want him to be in. So maybe Elgin will be signed eventually. Just not now.

New Japan not bringing him in really surprises me. Especially considering Karl Anderson is bringing in a shit load more foreigners into New Japan in the next month or two (Bad Influence and the Briscoes are rumoured to be on their way in). You'd think after the AJ/Okada/Elgin three-way, he'd have been a dead cert.

• Paid Members
No idea. They didn't take Ricochet and Adam Cole either, and I thought they were going to be snapped up.

A mate told me that Ricochet turned up, and because lots of less experienced guys were buzzing around him and acting impressed and like he was a big deal, they decided not to sign him. Presumably so he knows he isn't a big deal. Which leaves him no worse than he already was, and means they've missed out on a prospect by choice. Great.

Take it with a pinch of salt, mind. My mate probably read it on LOP.

• Paid Members

That's what I've heard, too. Jamie Noble was buzzing about him. The excuse given for not signing him was the old AJ Styles excuse. That they've "already got people like him in developmental". Ricochet's arguably got more upside than Adrian Neville does. Better looking and isn't a Geordie.

That's what I've heard, too. Jamie Noble was buzzing about him. The excuse given for not signing him was the old AJ Styles excuse. That they've "already got people like him in developmental". Ricochet's arguably got more upside than Adrian Neville does. Better looking and isn't a Geordie.

Would alot of these guys (Cole, Ricochet, Elgin, Brian Cage....just the better indy guys) turn down TNA? I know guys wrestling regularly in Japan probably would but have TNA just not bothered? I know they turned Cage down, but there's guys on NXT and on main TV in WWE, that TNA could of offered contracts to sometimes years before they got there.

I imagine a lot of the top flight talent out there would rather bide their time and wait for WWE or a top Japanese company to sign them than sign with TNA.

It used to be the case that you'd expect that if a man like Cole signed with Vince, you'd think "Oh, well they won't know what to do with him! He should sign with TNA and he'll get a big push!". Now the opposite has proven to be true. CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Cesaro etc. have all become big stars in Stamford, while over in TNA everyone from Nigel McGuinness to Samoa Joe looks good for a while, before they are inevitably booked to have a large cock drawn on their head, either literally or figuratively.

Its really turned out to be a blessing in disguise for Styles that TNA told him to fuck off. I imagine he's earning a wage comparable to what he was on in TNA as NJPW top guy and from working the indies, and he's looking like a star for the first time in recent memory.

Edited by the flananator

• 2 weeks later...

So Best In The World 2014 is tonight, They've posted this weeks TV on YouTube for everyone to watch. Its a preview to BITW, See it

Heres the full card:

ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

MICHAEL ELGIN VS. ADAM COLE ©

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

CHRISTOPHER DANIELS & KAZARIAN VS. REDRAGON (KYLE O'REILLY & BOBBY FISH) ©

ROH WORLD TV CHAMPIONSHIP - TRUTH MARTINI WILL BE HANDCUFFED TO THE RING POST

MATT TAVEN VS. JAY LETHAL W/ TRUTH MARTINI ©

GRUDGE MATCH

MATT HARDY/MICHAEL BENNETT W/ MARIA VS. JAY & MARK BRISCOE

MR. WRESTLING VS. THE LAST REAL MAN

KEVIN STEEN VS. SILAS YOUNG

SUBMISSION MATCH

RODERICK STRONG W/ ADAM PAGE VS. CEDRIC ALEXANDER

6 MAN MAYHEM - WINNER GETS FUTURE TV TITLE SHOT

ACH VS. TAKAAKI WATANABE VS. CAPRICE COLEMAN VS. TADARIUS THOMAS VS. BJ WHITMER VS. TOMMASO CIAMPA

Overall its a very solid card, But as ROH have show in the past the card doesn't need to be outstanding on paper to blow people away live.

I'm hoping that Cole retains but i don't know where that would leave Elgin, Barring a massive heel turn. Like everyone else im looking forward to Bad Influence vs reDRagon. I think Steen vs Young to steal the show though, Both are extremely good workers and its about time Young got pushed up the card. Extremely underrated as a character and a worker. Loving Lethal as a heel right now! Never did i see him slipping so seamlessly into this role.

Hopefully they get a good by rate on PPV and uStream. Will have to watch this during the week as i still need to watch Road To Best In The World Night 2, Night 1 was a solid show. Elgin/Jacobs and Cole/ACH both standing out. Night 2 has Cole/Ciampa and Briscoes/reDRagon so should be another solid show.

No idea. They didn't take Ricochet and Adam Cole either, and I thought they were going to be snapped up.

A mate told me that Ricochet turned up, and because lots of less experienced guys were buzzing around him and acting impressed and like he was a big deal, they decided not to sign him. Presumably so he knows he isn't a big deal. Which leaves him no worse than he already was, and means they've missed out on a prospect by choice. Great.

Take it with a pinch of salt, mind. My mate probably read it on LOP.

That actually came from Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez' audio show a few weeks ago.

The other thing said was that Ricochet never got signed because he's a small high flyer and they think they already have enough of those.

I think the idea for Elgin becoming ROH champion has been there for a while and has little to do with the fact he got turned down by WWE & New Japan.

Karl Anderson is booking the foreigners for New Japan now, so Elgin not getting signed up could be something as simple as Elgin & Anderson not getting along personally.

Edited by ClassicsGuy

Whenever I watch ROH, whether it's a wrestler or on commentary they always put over the past champions no longer with the company. A glaring emission seems to be Austin Aries. Is there a particular reason why he isn't mentioned in the same way as Joe despite being with the company much longer and more recently?

I'm looking forward to watching tonight's show. It'll be great to see Daniels and Kazarian in an ROH ring and it's make or break time for Elgin, the title match should be a belter.

Edited by Sexy Dad