Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

Apparently there’s glass in the ring, so I guess someone chucked in a bottle.

According to fans at the event, people throwing toilet roll at Rave managed to break some of the chandelier above the ring, hence the glass.

Is that Green Lantern Fan again? I don’t know much about him but I’ve heard he tends to sit in the front row where he’ll always be seen by the cameras.

He's a COCK. He set out to become a Superfan by always wearing a Green lantern shirt and sitting front row, he treats wrestlers like they're his mates and harrases them online, and he went to Chris Candido funeral, despite fans being told not to go, and treated it like a wrstling convention. Plus, he's such a notorious douchebag that no-one else can wear Green Lantern shirts to wrestling shows for fear of being compared to him :angry: dick brain.

Throw together teams should NEVER be better than named, long-term tandems.

You were the one complaining that Gen next never made people look good in matches...Anyway, Cabana/Nigel used to be a regular team in ROH a little while ago, so they're not exactly thrown together.

actually it does look like Joe knocked KENTA out

He did. All three guys got battered to fuck in the match.

I'd say all evidence points to you being wrong on all counts.

Like what? He looked good on the mic in the Shelley match, but even then I thought Shelley looked better than he did.His promos from when he first returned in 2005 were really average. Basically I find his interviews fun when he's insulting kids and doing his heel act, but if he ever gets serious, he isn't that good at all.

Charismatic? If he wasn't then the fans wouldn't get into his matches PROPERLY.

The fans get into his matches because they have the belief he's a great wrestler and most of them really enjoy his matches. Roderick String has no charisma at all and yet the fans still get into his matches. And what do you mean get into his matches 'properly'?If you mean he plays a successful heel act I think you're pretty mistaken, as even when against top faces he gets his fair share of chants, and the people who boo him seem to be booing him because they think he 'plays a good heel', rather than any actual hatred they have towards him.

You know the difference, when they stop the duelling chants and actually unload their hatred on him.

Well, actually, I've seen little of this. Care to point me to any matches where this happens?

He proved at Arena Warfare he can cut great, long promos that rile the crowd up

Yes, like I said he cut a funny heel promo on the CZW fans. Problem was, a lot of the things he said he was getting cheered for. And it wasn't as if his promo was anything revoloutionary. He did his 'I'm better than Benoit' act, he insulted a couple of fans, what's new? Shelley's promos in that match were far more effective.

Not sure how you define 'original' in this industry

Something new and different. Rather than 'I'm the best in the world' stuff.

Some of his adlibs are very original, though. Every interaction he's had with the CZW fans has been goldust, IMO.

Yeah, I've enjoyed his stuff with the CZW fans.

It's good that GenNEXT made McGuinness/Cabana look strong, but what's the fucking point of putting over a one-time team and not putting over your long-term feud rivals?

Yes, like I said he cut a funny heel promo on the CZW fans. Problem was, a lot of the things he said he was getting cheered for.

He always does the tweener role in the CZW/ROH feud, and to be honest he's switched to a largely tweener role in general rather than pure heel. McGuinness is closer to a total heel.

Well, actually, I've seen little of this. Care to point me to any matches where this happens?

Off the top of my head, both defences against Delirious, particularly the second one.

Something new and different. Rather than 'I'm the best in the world' stuff.

Yeah, but what's new and different? I've not seen or heard of anything legitimately new or different in ages. Isn't it more important to pull off the gimmick you've got well? Of course if you don't think he does then that's a different issue. Obviously I do.

And what do you mean get into his matches 'properly'?

Getting into it to the point that they're too busy booing him out or cheering for the other guy to duel chant or 'this is awesome'. The ROH crowd is overly smarky at times and there are very few workers in the company who can get them properly involved into the action. Danielson's one of those who almost always can, by riling them up and by belittling his opponents until the fans legitimately want to see his head get knocked off.

Well, whilst not one of the ROH 'faithful' I can answer this for you. It wasn't an outdoor show per se, but ROH did a couple of spots for the morning news where they set a ring up down town and had bits a pieces of wrestling going on, while the reporters talked to workers and generally ran a piece on the company. They used these opportunities to run angles, the first around Low Ki Vs Aries and the second around Jacobs Vs Whitmer.

Well, whilst not one of the ROH 'faithful' I can answer this for you. It wasn't an outdoor show per se, but ROH did a couple of spots for the morning news where they set a ring up down town and had bits a pieces of wrestling going on, while the reporters talked to workers and generally ran a piece on the company. They used these opportunities to run angles, the first around Low Ki Vs Aries and the second around Jacobs Vs Whitmer.

Cheers... thanks for you help!

Now onto 2006 ROH with ROH 4th Anniversary Show.The Briscoes v Mamaluke/Rinauro v Mikaze/Blade tag opener was a waste. The only point of it was to put the Briscoes over and they didn't even spend most of their time in the action. A few head drops later and they get the win. I thought they got rid of this garbage in 2002. 1/2*Claudio/Pearce/Azreial/Fury was next. 4-Corner Survivals are usually pointless and average. Add 3 crap workers to the mix and they become terrible. Pearce was boring as hell, nobody cared about Fury, Claudio's gimmick is annoying as hell, Azreial is just plain awful. No need for this stuff. 1/4*Joe/Lethal was decent-good. Not as good as their previous 2 matches- Lethal was leaving, and it showed, having the blowoff to a feud in the early portion of the show, and it not being a match that either put 100% into. I enjoyed it, but it was probably too long and in the long run it won't be remembered. **1/4Whitmer/Daniels is a match that I don't think anybody wanted. And with good reason. The work they did was pretty uninspiring, and I found myself delighted when the bout was stopped for some excellent brawling. 3/4*I actually liked Homicide/Cabana. Content wise it wasn't exactly great, but I loved the idea of the restars and thought they were carried out really well, and Cabana being willing to get killed for the sake of the feud certainly did the match some favours. More of a match to further storylines than anything else, it succeeded in that respect by getting me into the feud, and there was some nice action as well. Hate Cabana's selling though, and it's been said a million times, but the serious role does not suit him. **1/2Rave/Dragon has been overhyped. It went on way, way too long, and I felt it did little for Rave. His periods of offence were really short, Dragon's selling of most of his stuff was average at best, and while they established he could hang with Dragon on the mat, it seemed irrelevant as for much of the match he was clearly treated as inferior. He never looked like winning. There was some nice stuff in the match. Dragon's offensive reportoire is somewhat repetetive at this point, but I dug Rave stealing his offence, among other things. It's hard to point to the good stuff in the match, as it was really forgettable, but it's in there, and the match is a decent title encounter, though admittedly one of the worst Dragon defences I've seen. And I have to say that was more down to Dragon then Rave. **1/2Evans/Reyes was never going to be a classic, especially after Evans' late flight. It's fun seeing Jack get killed for a while, and they actually make a good job of the earlier portions, establishing the speed v power roles. I found it hard to watch after Evans landed on his head though. The botches didn't help the match at all, and Evans looked out of sorts. Still, wasn't a disaster, and it's too their credit they gave us something watchable. *1/2Aries/Strong v Sydal/Styles was good. I'm not a great fan of Sydal constantly teaming with random guys against Aries/Strong, but him and Styles looked decent as a team, and in terms of tag team fundamentals, they both seemed to understand how to work the structure in their favour. The ending sequences were fun, but the match dragged in the middle, and the face/face dynamic didn't help the match at all. Good match, but not one that will live long in the memory. **1/2Which pretty much sums up this show. It won't live long in the memory. After the opneing 2 disasters, the rest of the show was respectable, but I cared for little of it. Not one of ROH's better shows.