Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

RoHomicide IS must-see, KofmW. I was feeling leery through the undercard, but the top line stuff was beyond amazing. While ROH has its faults, there's no doubt that the company has the right people on top, and Homicide is so over it's scary. He really is getting Samoa Joe-like heat.I've got Destiny to review, then I need to wait for the next three shows to arrive, which I ordered today. I don't think they'll be quite as good as these, after a glance at the cards, but I've been surprised before. Jimmy Jacobs is back on them so it can't be that bad. McGuinness is absent for all but one of the shows, though.

• Paid Members

I'm in the middle of watching 'How We Roll' at the moment, with the three top matches to go it's been better than I expected so far. I remember reading the live reports of that weekend's shows and thinking it didn't look good, with Ring of Homicide looking a lot better.There's some weirdness with the commentary on the DVD, as it's almost inaudible for Jimmy Yang vs Matt Sydal, half of the three way and the beginning of Rave and Shelley vs Homicide and Reyes. Yang vs Sydal isn't much of an opener, Yang seems to be practising his generic WWE heel style, poking the eyes, pointing to the crowd to distract the referee, then hitting a low blow and so on, then Sydal makes a comeback and scores a clean pin with a beautiful Shooting Star Press. It could almost have been a Velocity main event. Next up is supposed to be Delirious vs Christopher Daniels vs Colt Cabana vs Nigel McGuinness, but after the first three ring entrances (in the above order), Christian Cage comes out and chooses Cabana as his partner for the main event of Cage and ? vs Danielson and ?. There's plenty of entertaining mic shenanigans as Danielson comes out and chooses Daniels as his partner "I hear we've teamed before but I don't remember when..." on the condition that if they win, Daniels gets an ROH title shot. I like that they tied in the fact that Danielson won the title in that venue and then defeated Daniels in a title defense there too. When they bugger off we're left with Delirious alone in the ring, and McGuinness comes out. I don't like the fact that McGuinness didn't come out while Danielson was still out there, as they should have heat following the conclusion of their title vs title match the show before, and a face off would have been interesting. We then get the announcement that the match is now a three way match...Delirious vs Nigel McGuinness vs Kikutaro. Nigel jumps the former Ebessan before he gets to the ring, and he seriously towers over him. The former Pure champion is dominant for the majority of the match, but in between Delirious and Kikutaro get to reprise their slow motion sequence from the four way they were in at 'The Final Showdown'. It would work better if the commentary was audible though. Kikutaro also involves the referee in a comedy spot at the end (I got to see basically the same spots live at FWA Academy Supercard 4 last weekend) which puts Nigel out of the ring and Delirious quickly makes Kikutaro tap out to his new submission, the Cobra Stretch for the upset. The one fall is enough to win, obviously, despite a 'Three Way Dance' graphic at the beginning which usually means an elimination match.There's then two tag matches to round out the first half of the show, first Alex Shelley and Jimmy Rave vs Homicide and Ricky Reyes. Delightfully, this means we get Daizee Haze, Prince Nana AND Julius Smokes at ringside, which leads to lots of shenanigans. The Rottweilers assume face status from being in New York, and so Smokes can chase Nana around ringside. Rave and Shelley do most of the character work, stalling a lot early on, then spend the majority of the match isolating Homicide, which only works so well because Reyes isn't great waiting for hot tags. 'Cide busts out the tope con hilo, something he doesn't tend to use as a heel in ROH. The finish sees Nana cheat and get away with it, which draws Smokes into the ring which the ref sees and calls a DQ. Kinda fun from a character viewpoint, but perhaps too long and the finish pretty much takes away any meaning from the match. In one of those weird ROH moments, they start a Lacey promo then cut away to Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli jumping the rail with CZW referee Bryce Remsberg. Adam Pearce and BJ Whitmer come out with Todd Sinclair and we have a double ref CZW vs ROH match ala the 100th show main event. It's the first time Hero and Castagnoli have done their Kings of Wrestling team in ROH. Quite frankly, some of their double teams are wank. The contrived setup for an assisted Castagnoli shoulderblock in the corner is particularly ridiculous. Rubbishness aside, the usual CZW vs ROH brawling formula is followed for the most part, which is good and heated, then the CZW ref stops Todd Sinclair from counting an ROH victory, Sinclair is knocked down, Necro Butcher joins the match, and eventually the 3-on-2 numbers see Whitmer put through a ringside table and Pearce is pinned after a double team Heros Welcome that doesn't look that devastating at all. Still to come, I have Roderick Strong vs Mark Briscoe, Austin Aries vs Jay Briscoe and the dream tag main event to watch. I look forward to Aries vs Jay and the main. There's Samoa Joe vs Apocalypse too, but I've already seen that from ROHvideos.com.

In a world where wrestling in seen by the mainstream as a parade of Boogeymen, vampires, astrology-telling witches, zombies, and 40 year old men pretending to be juvenile delinquents...there was wrestling last night in Edison, NJ...wrestling that didn't embarass you as an adult, and as a wrestling fan. Meet someone who tells you they hate wrestling...then show them a DVD of last night's show...and show them KENTA vs. Davey Richards...or "American Dragon" Bryan Danielson vs. Samoa Joe. You'll never have to be embarassed about being a wrestling fan again. Ring of Honor returned to Edison, NJ last night for "Fight of the Century". The show had to contend with the nicest day of the entire summer and the Jersey Shore season, yet drew a good...if late crowd. Dark match Derrick Dempsey submitted Pelle Primeau with the Orange County Stretch. "Fight Of The Century" Colt Cabana defeated Sal Rinauro via submission in a hilarious opener. As usual, fans covered the ring with toilet paper (mock streamers) for The Embassy's entrance. Cabana did the old Al Perez "Aly-copter", then locked on a reverse Boston Crab to submit Rinauro. Top Of The Class Trophy: Shane Hagadorn defeats Bobby Dempsey via submission in a flash submission after a shot with brass knuckles and a crossface submission. This match was basically to set up the next segment, as "Lt. Commissioner" Adam Pierce ranted in the mike as heel Hagadorn tried to kiss up to Pierce. Pierce is gold on the microphone. Either Pierce has been underutilized...or he's been working bigtime with Cornette on promos. Adam Pearce called out BJ Whitmer to explain why he didn't save him. Whitmer said he was loyal to ROH, but also loyal to Homicide. Out of nowhere, Steve Corino jumped BJ Whitmer. Nigel McGuinness won the Four Corner Survival over Claudio Castagnoli, Jay Lethal, Christopher Daniels, pinning Claudio Castagnoli after a lariat. Ring Of Honor World Tag Team Championships/Ultimate Endurance Austin Aries and Roderick Strong defeated Matt Sydal and Jack Evans, The Briscoe Brothers, and Irish Airborne to retian their Ring of Honor Tag Team Titles * The first pinfall, under scramble rules, saw Irish Airborne eliminates Jay and Mark Briscoe. The crowd was NOT happy one bit and was pretty much dead until the next pinfall * The second pinfall under submission only rules, Roderick Strong eliminates Irish Airborne (Dave and Jake Crist) when Strong submits Dave Crist * The third fall, winner take all rules, Austin Aries and Roderick Strong defeated Matt Sydal and Jack Evans after Austin Aries pinned Matt Sydal with a 450 splash to retain the Ring of Honor Tag Team Titles. Irish Airborne was working under the handicap of one of the Crist Brothers working the match with a broken (and still badly swollen) hand. Post match, Austin Aries wondered what happened to the stolen tag team championships. Austin Aries, Roderick Strong, Matt Sydal, and Jack Evans all shook hands as former Generation Next members After the intermission, Adam Pearce and Steve Corino were up in the ring with the usual Steve Corino rant on the crowd...and Corino later turning his venom on Green Lantern Fan's father, since the infamous Green Lantern Fan was still out smoking during intermission. BJ Whitmer and Homicide defeated Steve Corino and Adam Pearce via disqualification after a Briscoe Brothers run-in, attacking Homicide and destroyed his arm (backstory: remember Cornette managed the Briscoes when he first came to ROH.) KENTA defeats Davey Richards in an incredible match that would have been at home at Korakuen Hall .The finish saw Davey Richards escape the busaiku knee kick before finally being pinned after KENTA's Go 2 Sleep. The strikes and spots these two were throwing at each other were unbelivable stiff-looking. Ring of Honor World Championship: Samoa Joe vs Bryan Danielson ended in a Time limit draw in an incredible 60 minute draw. Post-match, they teased giving the fans 5 more minutes, but Danielson refused. KENTA came out to confront Danielson (to link to their September 16 match in Manhattan), but the Briscoes jumped KENTA. Homicide...then Samoa Joe made the save.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Credit: A-Dub, I'm copy and pasting from his thread.

Edited by edgecrusher

Danielson vs Joe looks like it was a fantastic match, rest of the car ddoesnt look to bad either. I am going to order 'Destiny', 'Chi-Town Struggle', and 'Ring Of Homicide' soon. I did try and buy all of 2006 in order, but since the number of shows is increasing rapidly, I'm just going to get the events which look good to me and get the rest when I can afford them.Kenta vs Aries looks a good match on CTS, Aries has impressed me in his tag team with Roderick Strong, I think he displays WAY more charisma than Strong (but then again who doesnt) and Danielson vs Cabana looks appealing as well.

I'm going to continue getting them in order, and review them in order. Indeed, Wodewick is the somewhat weaker wheel of the GenNEXT team. But undeniably, he's over with the fans. In a way it's a shame because it doesn't promote him to improve his weak sides; such as the fact he doesn't project very well, has no interview capability and looks about 5.

KENTA has been over to ROH ten times in recent months. If they set up an ongoing deal with NOAH (Too manycaps in this post!) that means they get them between tours, a transitional tag reign for MaruKENTA would be amazing for business. After that...Well, it looks like Irish Airborne are being groomed as a big deal, which quite frankly terrifies me. If only Alex Shelley hadn't left...

But, but, Alex Shelley's the best guy IN the Embassy!Though I guess you have a point. His absence was looking a bit strange to me, too. There was no way they were potential tag champs by the end, though. They'd been jobbed out too many times, IMO.If they want to book an actual successor, it needs to be a team that NEVER loses. They need to build them up properly, otherwise the fans'll shit on the result. The Briscoes have that potential (the fans certainly buy into them), but The Embassy lost too much IMO. Irish Airborne will make good challengers, but it's WAAAAAAAAAAY too early to talk champions.I quite like Irish Airborne, but I couldn't buy them as champs yet. They're in the 'pretty but green' stage.And from what I've heard, these 4-team title matches are a BIG step in the wrong direction. I guess it gives the bookers a chance to see how the fans react to different teams against GenNEXT, but all it's going to do in the short term is reiterate, AGAIN, that they're unbeatable. That said, Goldberg got over by never losing. Maybe that's the point with this team.

Edited by edgecrusher

The Briscoes aren't booked often enough to be tag champs. They're also shit.Maybe ROH will put together some huge dream team, Like Joe and Richards. Or maybe the newly evil team of Corino and Pearce will take them, which would make me mark like a schoolgirl.