Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

Also the little kids shouting at the wrestlers did my head in. Swearing with the crowd in a cockney accent. It felt like something you'd see in your local town hall.

God forbid kids have cockney accents when they're from London and act like they're at a wrestling show when they're at a wrestling show. I know FOH was a smark-aimed supershow, but what do you want them to do, turn the kids away at the door? Or should the parents be phoning the venue first to make sure it's not a special event for weird internet men?

I don't agree with young children swearing. Especially in such a public setting.

Nothing against the cockney accent. My dad's from London. Half my family are from London.

Edited by Twinn

• Paid Members

That's fairer and less cunty than it appeared to be from the way you phrased it at first.

And yeah, that stuff at the ROH shows was horrible. I remember people arguing about it on here at the time, with some dickheads pulling out the "they hear worse in the playground" line, and rightly being shot down for not being able to see a difference between kids overhearing a swear word and a room full of adults shouting at kids to shut the fuck up.

I watched ROH Frontiers of Honor 2003 yesterday and thought it was a good effort.

I'd like to mention how good AJ Styles Vs Johnny Storm and Christopher Daniels Vs Jody Fleisch were both absolutely fantastic. I'd have to say AJ/Storm was the better of the two and it was a right good match. My first time watching Storm aswell (Well I probably saw him back in the day of, The Wrestling Channel but forgot him) and I was very impressed with him. I'd really recommend this match.

The first AJ Styles vs Jonny Storm match (from FWA British Uprising, 9 months earlier) was even better imo. And Lynskey didn't fuck up the finish in that one.

What the hell was the "Chris Benoit......Chris Benoit" chant all about at Supercard Of Honor.

I gotta say i thought that was pretty disgusting, sounded like a fair amount of fans in attendance started booing when it started.

So where do they go from here then with Jay as champion, i jumped out of my seat when he won, but within a few minutes, i thought, ok what now. I know it was a major nod to Jay (and the Briscoes in general) for what they have done for the company but can he carry a world title?? They also lose one of the best things going, the Briscoes as a team.

One other note, New York fans relentless barating of Matt Hardy is fucking brilliant.

I watched ROH Frontiers of Honor 2003 yesterday and thought it was a good effort.

I'd like to mention how good AJ Styles Vs Johnny Storm and Christopher Daniels Vs Jody Fleisch were both absolutely fantastic. I'd have to say AJ/Storm was the better of the two and it was a right good match. My first time watching Storm aswell (Well I probably saw him back in the day of, The Wrestling Channel but forgot him) and I was very impressed with him. I'd really recommend this match.

The first AJ Styles vs Jonny Storm match (from FWA British Uprising, 9 months earlier) was even better imo. And Lynskey didn't fuck up the finish in that one.

Thanks for that man. I forgot to mention the ending felt abit flat but with it being a strong match I soon forgot about that.

Also who was that idiot who did a coast to coast during that horrible 6 man brawl/street fight match and tripped on the top rope to a horrible landing? Got to say that was a rotten match overall, apart from Katie Lea who is great.

• Paid Members
I know it was a major nod to Jay (and the Briscoes in general) for what they have done for the company but can he carry a world title??

If you say so.

Having watched all of ROH's output from 2002-2007 and 2010 and a good amount of 2008-09 I'd say when Jay has been put into main events, his matches have always elicited good reactions/noise from the live crowd, in fact it's often surprised me how into his title challenges the crowds got sometimes, because I never gave him a dog's chance in hell of winning. If you look for justification for him being a decent champion on top of "well, he deserves it for his tenure" then I think being able to beat Steen after the length of reign he's had gives you an extra shot in the arm, credibility wise.

Plus, if they expect it to be believable that Jay Lethal is a main eventer, I've got no problem with Jay Briscoe as champion.

EDIT - having said that, if they want Jay's reign to be a good one, however long it is, they could have picked him a stronger first challenger than Adam Cole.

Edited by air_raid

I know it was a major nod to Jay (and the Briscoes in general) for what they have done for the company but can he carry a world title??

If you say so.

Having watched all of ROH's output from 2002-2007 and 2010 and a good amount of 2008-09 I'd say when Jay has been put into main events, his matches have always elicited good reactions/noise from the live crowd, in fact it's often surprised me how into his title challenges the crowds got sometimes, because I never gave him a dog's chance in hell of winning. If you look for justification for him being a decent champion on top of "well, he deserves it for his tenure" then I think being able to beat Steen after the length of reign he's had gives you an extra shot in the arm, credibility wise.

Plus, if they expect it to be believable that Jay Lethal is a main eventer, I've got no problem with Jay Briscoe as champion.

EDIT - having said that, if they want Jay's reign to be a good one, however long it is, they could have picked him a stronger first challenger than Adam Cole.

I agree he has had some excellent singles matches and the crowd love the Briscoes, i wasn't saying i didn't think he could carry it, i wanted to ask the question and see what others thought.

I shall reserve judgement myself, see how the next few IPPV's do numbers wise once the initial "oh he deserves it" buzz wears off.

I also agree on Cole challenging, i presumed Jay winning would continue the ROH vs SCUM storyline, so you would think longer term that SCUM will put forward a new challenger to try and wrestle the power back, maybe Rhino (off the top of my head), he could have some hard hitting matches with Jay i reckon.

Edited by nobby

who was that idiot who did a coast to coast during that horrible 6 man brawl/street fight match and tripped on the top rope to a horrible landing? Got to say that was a rotten match overall, apart from Katie Lea who is great.

That was Ashe, part of a tag team whose name I can't remember.

:crazy:

• Paid Members

I've been looking at the upcoming events list:

BORDER WARS 2013 - TORONTO, ON CANADA

Saturday, May 4, 2013 07:30pm

IPPV

TV TAPING - TORONTO, ON

Sunday, May 5, 2013 02:00pm

TV

BELLE VERNON, PA

Saturday, May 11, 2013 07:30pm

Live Event

RICHMOND, VA

Saturday, May 18, 2013 07:30pm

Live Event

SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS

Saturday, Jun 1, 2013 07:30pm

Live Event

CHARLESTON, WV

Friday, Jun 7, 2013 07:30pm

Live Event

COLUMBUS, OHIO

Saturday, Jun 8, 2013 07:30pm

Live Event

"BEST IN THE WORLD" JUNE 22ND, 2013 - BALTIMORE, MD

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 05:00pm

IPPV

"TV TAPING" JUNE 23RD, 2013 - BALTIMORE, MD

Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 02:00pm

"A NIGHT OF HOOPLA" - CHICAGO, IL

Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 07:30pm

Live Event

MILWAUKEE, WI

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 07:30pm

Live Event

DEARBORN, MICHIGAN

Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 07:30pm

Live Event

PROVIDENCE, RHODE ISLAND

Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 07:30pm

Live Event

"MANHATTAN MAYHEM V" - NEW YORK CITY

Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 07:30pm

Live Event

It strikes me that they've got quite a busy summer line-up. It's nice to see, though whether they draw in some of those places will be worth keeping an eye on.

As for Jay Briscoe's title win - I popped for it big time live, and the idea of him as champion doesn't offend me in the slightest. I'm sure his reign will be comparatively short, though with the number of shows over the summer, they could keep him busy for a 4 month reign before passing the title on in Manhattan again. While Adam Cole has the first shot in Toronto at Border Wars, and BJ Whitmer was originally scheduled to face Steen in Virginia on May 18 and is still getting that shot, there's also two sets of TV tapings to do angles with say Matt Hardy as they continue the SCUM angle, and the best choice at the moment for the Manhattan return in August has to be Elgin after he won the #1 contenders match there at Supercard of Honor.

who was that idiot who did a coast to coast during that horrible 6 man brawl/street fight match and tripped on the top rope to a horrible landing? Got to say that was a rotten match overall, apart from Katie Lea who is great.

:laugh: - that's fucking hilarious!! I've seen that match a couple of times and don't remember that for some reason.

I think he was in the New Breed with Phil Bedwell.

Add me to the list of people who was over the moon to witness Jay winning the title live. And that's after me slagging off the idea the Briscoe was in the main event when it was first announced.

Adam Cole and BJ Whitmer were already announced as the next two challengers as Steen hadn't beaten them in singles matches yet and ROH were throwing everything they could at getting the title away from SCUM. Announcing the matches in advance helped to hide the title change last week but left Jay with a weaker start to his run than needed.

I really hope that Elgin wins the title at the next New York show like Gadge said, as by pure luck I'm in the area that weekend too and managed to pick up a ticket at the last show, so it would be great to see Elgin win the big one. It's a long time for him to wait for his match when he's the current number one contender though.

It also looks like Manhatten Mayhem V is just a live event, rather than an iPPV. I know Eddie Edwards won the title at a live show, but generally they reserve the big matches for iPPVs, so I'm not holding my breath. As long as they don't put Jay Briscoe vs Matt Hardy in the main event I'm fine with not seeing another title change live.

• Paid Members

I think he was in the New Breed with Phil Bedwell.

Is that Curve's real name then? Fuck knows why I remember reading about The New Breed, because I sure as hell don't remember any of their matches.

:laugh: - that's fucking hilarious!! I've seen that match a couple of times and don't remember that for some reason.

I guess you must have had the FWA's version.

That show was released on DVD by both FWA and ROH. The footage of that botch was taken from the ROH version, but it was edited out of the FWA version.

• Paid Members

Listening to the Kevin Steen and Davey Richards shoot. Actually really good. Davey Richards seems quite a nice bloke actually. Kevin Steen is cracking as well. Anyway, about 10 minutes in, the question is "did anyone ever stiff you on pay?" to which Richards fucking BURIES Alex Shane. Saying "he had me in a room telling me about all his conspiracy theories, and I dont care about that. I went to stay will Phil Austin because I couldnt take Shane and whatever drugs he was on". He continues, that Shane set up a week of seminars and the last one was in Germany and Alex sent some girl called "Kelly" to Germany to tell the wrestlers they weren't getting paid. Richards then called him a pussy, said there was "an ass whipping coming your way". Kevin Steen chimes in with "I've never worked for him but I've heard some stories". Full on burial.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Pretty good angle heavy episode of Ring of Honor last week. Steve Corino is excellent in his role as the suit wearing, specky cult leader. He's just a hoot. Calling Matt Hardy "the Jesus of wrestling" and winding the fans up with his sheer joy at the thought of Matt Hardy holding the ROH title. For the first time in his career, Corino actually looks how his characters should look, and he's totally delivering the goods on the stick. The angle with Steen getting kicked out of Scum was great and the interview segment with Nigel McGuinness and Corino was entertaining as well. The matches weren't up to much, like, but still. Actually I think its only Corino and Steen I like on the whole show. But their contributions made it decent, so a thumbs up from me.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay