Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

a promoter sitting front and center is common though, Dana White sits cageside the UFC events for example. Complaining about Eddie Hearn being visible is a bit nit-picky for me, he's not doing any different to any other promoter.

No one's changing my mind on this matter, Eddie is the man.

* edit: i don't mind Warren either :unsure:

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

i'm sure if i had to deal with any of these guys in a business sense i'd probably have a much different opinion on them, but as boxing personalities i like them.

Warren's another guy that i've grown to like through IFL. Kuggan on there himself said that he didn't expect to find himself liking Frank Warren but he has grown to like him through their interractions. Hearn & Warren are chalk and cheese though, Warren's about as old school as you can get.

Going into 2017 though im imagining a bit of a war between the two, with Warren's BT deal coming into play things are gonna get real interesting. Josh Warrington has left Eddie Hearn this week and i expect him to be picked up by Warren. It's gonna be great fun following it all.

I didn't know that Warrington had left Matchroom. Those Leeds shows that Hearn promoted with him headlining were rabid. I may not like Warren, but I do listen to most of his interviews on IFL. He's a lot more low-key than Hearn.

We'll see how things pan out next year with the BT deal. For Warren, things can only get better. Other than international fights, there's been little on Boxnation this year. Granted, Fury cancelling the Wlad rematch was a stroke of bad luck, and BJS has been inactive (although he's fighting tonight actually), but SKY/Matchroom have hosted the most high profile domestic fights. 

Frank Warren is a grade A cunt. There's no way around it.

The things he did to Ricky Burns were unforgivable. He tried to sue him for £1.8m in losses and won £72k. The judge says Burn's is owed from Warren, £102k for unpaid royalties for the Kevin Mitchell fight. But he won't get any money back because Warren has already liquidated the company. Then Burns declares bankruptcy because he has to pay all the legal fee's.

Then you've got the Burns/Vasquez fight which was supposed to unify the lightweight world titles. Then there were rumblings Vasquez wasn't paid, Warren kept saying the fight is on & everything is fine. More people came out and said the fight is off. Warren kept saying they're lying. People were buying tickets, booking flights & hotel rooms, etc for the fight. Come fight week, Vasquez has a cold and Warren produces some bullshit doctors note. So the fights off and it never happened. A few months later, Vasquez does an interview saying he wasn't ill, it was because of a low purse he never agreed to.

Going into 2017 though im imagining a bit of a war between the two, with Warren's BT deal coming into play things are gonna get real interesting. Josh Warrington has left Eddie Hearn this week and i expect him to be picked up by Warren. It's gonna be great fun following it all.

I've said it on here before but Josh Warrington is a Hearn hype job. He sells out the Leed's Arena but he isn't going to make a dent TV wise because he's a terribly dull fighter, fighting terrible opponents. The next step is fighting for a world title which he has already turned down because he wanted to get married. (Imagine Marvellous Marvin Hagler turning down an opportunity for his 1st world title fight to get married) They said Selby would be waiting for him afterwards. Well he ain't anymore. So the other world champions at Featherweight are, Gary Russell Jr, Oscar Valdez & Carl Frampton. He has a cat in hells chance of beating any of them. So what he will do, probably with Warren is fight a load more bags of shit for 12 rounds because he has woeful power. Then Warren will wangle something with the WBO, (Notice most of Warren's fighters all have WBO belts because he's in their pocket) they will create a regular (paper) world title and Warrington will fight some unknown African/South American for the vacant belt.

• Paid Members

There's some shady shit going on for sure.

I'm always on the fence with Warrington. I think it's a little unfair to call him a dull fighter though, he lacks power but he's not dull to watch. The ridiculous following obviously adds value wherever he ends up, i do find it odd that Hearn let him go.

• Paid Members

Thought Billy Joe Saunders was very lucky to hang on to his title last night in Scotland. I scored the fight a draw but if Saunders didn't have that good period beween rounds 7-10 i think he'd had lost his belt. Saunders himself said everything you needed to know post fight, he was terrible.

Eduard Troyanovsky vs Julius Indongo was also on that card. Troyanovsky's a pretty good fighter but he got KO'ed in under a minute and lost his world title. The clip I saw had Russian commentary, and the only word/phrase I understood was "lucky punch!"

The two top fights should be a good laugh for as long as they last. Joshua unless he somehow gets caught, which I see as near impossible, should comfortably win within a few rounds again. This is pretty much his final 'tie-over' fight from interviews I've seen with Hearn this week before he moves onto super fights with Wlad/Fury/Haye etc.

The Whyte/Chisora fight is probably the more interesting of the two. Fancy Whyte based on how poor Chisora's last fight was, that and Whyte has a half decent chin on him and can throw. The gloves are off show between them was fucking diabolical though. Comes across as completely contrived, there's something about the way McGregor builds his fight that makes it come across as natural. Same goes for DC/Jones 1. The whole lights going out, Johnny Nelson screaming for help, pure embarrassing. Saying that I'll still be watching it Saturday night.

Elsewhere you've got Connor Benn and Katie Taylor in showcase fights, not sure if Benn is on the PPV portion of the show? He's fun to watch, but he really is beating bums.

Oh, and this really isn't worth my £16.95. :)

Edited by seanz25

I can see Whyte winning on points in a lacklustre affair despite the build up. Whyte does look in good shape nowadays but has looked poor in every fight he's had since the Joshua one. I dont think Delboy has the power to trouble him unfortunately so i can see Whyte cruising to a points win. Hopefully theres a few tasty monents along the way.

I just want to see Joshua tested somehow in this fight, i guess thats the best you can hope for. This along with the Whyte fight will be his stiffest test, i expect him to get the KO but hopefully not to early. Havent seen alot of the other felka, only the Wilder fight and clips of him getting knocked out in 1round a few years back.

• Paid Members

I think the smart money is on a Whyte decision victory. There's no way the fight will match the violent nature of the build-up, i expect it to be kind of plodding. If Del Boy comes in motivated and in shape it may be good, but he tends to sleepwalk his way through some of these fights.

Echoing was Porkchop said, i just want to see Joshua tested and be in something resembling a fight. Dominic Breazeale was tough last time out but he was a punching bag, if Molina gets KO'd at least i hope he goes down after having a real go.

Im quite looking forward to the Ortiz/Allen fight too. Dave Allen has no hope, but Luis Ortiz needs to put on some kind of show after the Malick Scott travesty, you gotta know Hearn's told him to step it up. Dave Allen's gonna be out to prove he's as tough as everyone says he is, could be interesting.

I hope the Ortiz/Allan fight doesnt resemble the Whyte/Allan fight. Allan arms look really short which resorts on him almost just covering up all fight. Ortiz looked shite against Scott, although it wasnt all his fault. I want David Price to fight a live opponent soon.

I think Quiggs opponent is meant to be a good fighter, but i dont know much about him tbh.

Smith, Benn and the rest of the crew i imagine wll just walk their fights.