Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

the Matchroom card is a showcase event really, it'll likely consist of blow-outs all night which could make for some fun viewing, or it could make for dull one-sided fights. Still it's all about Cleverly and Bellew getting through unscathed.

I expect Matt Skelton to have a go at roughing up Anthony Joshua too, it won't be pretty but Joshua make to show a different side to his game tonight.

• Paid Members

the Matchroom card was as expected, just a way for Hearn to roll out some of his names to get victories ready for the next season of fights. Most impressive performance of the night was by far Rocky Fielding who sits as one of Matchroom's dark horses, but the guy keeps winning and won by KO in a fight that bookies saw as 50/50. The Fielding/Callum Smith needs to happen.

It was all about setting up the Bellew/Cleverly rematch though, whether or not they are world level fighters it's a huge domestic rivalry which will have gone to another level Saturday night. I wasn't overly impressed with Bellew outside of the KO, and Cleverly stopped another guy who probably had no business being in the ring with him. Regardless, the stage is set and the rematch is going to happen.

"YOU ARE FOOKIN' NEXT!"

• Paid Members

Anyone watch Canelo vs Lara? Close fight. I actually had Lara edging it. I've seen some cries of robbery online but I disagree. It was a really close one. What was ridiculous though, was Levi Martinez's score of Canelo 117-111. That was way out of whack IMO. If you watch a close fight like this was, and you see it that wide then you're either inept or corrupt. End of story.

Apparently Brian Kenny was talking some utter shite (which doesn't surprise me a bit) post-fight, talking as if Canelo dominated and Lara ran all night. And from what I read Paulie Malignaggi schooled him live on the air. I was hoping it'd be on YouTube but I couldn't find it earlier.

Here's Paulie talking sense about the fight though

I think he's spot on there. Like he says, it seems like it's a case of judges going in and expecting one guy to win, so they're skewed to scoring any rounds that are close to that guy. It's lazy as fuck judging. I agree with him on the 'Lara should've been more aggressive' stuff as well. Paulie is probably my favourite boxing commentator/pundit/analyst whatever these days. He's smart, talks sense and he doesn't sugarcoat his feelings on stuff.

I had Canelo by a point but it was very close, with a fight like that you would expect when it comes down to it that the judges will go with the guy who was the aggressor. Lara didn't just run, he mixed it up well but needed as has been mentioned to be more aggressive. I doubt there will be a rematch, looks like Canelo vs Kirkland next, that be a fun fight.

• Paid Members

There's going to be a film on the life of Arturo Gatti. Here's a nice piece on the fifth anniversary of Gatti's death with some info on the film;

By Keith Idec

Like most of us, Jerry Ferrara was mesmerized the night of May 18, 2002.

A mostly unknown actor at the time, the self-professed boxing junkie tuned in to HBO that Saturday evening figuring he

• Paid Members

yeh i heard Kenny chiming in after the fight but my feed cut off before i got back to the studio bit. Kenny basically agreed with Canelo's assessment of the fight in that Lara basically ran all night and didn't want to actually fight.

I scored the fight a draw, i had Canelo winning a few of the rounds that Steve Farhood was giving to Lara based purely on the aggression. It's a very subjective fight to score, i mean it's all well and good skipping around the ring but when the actual punches landed per round are so even on paper (the landed number was low all night) i tend to score for the guy pushing forward trying to make things happen.

Still, regardless the guy i wanted to win, won :)

oh, and if anyone here has the US version of Netflix, the Ray Mancini doc 'The Good Son' has been added. I remember we talked about it here a year or so ago, it was available on itunes for a while but copies of it have been pretty scarce. I'm gonna watch it later.

• Paid Members

Marcos Maidana not giving a fuck;

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bsl5qi0CIAAhJVT.jpg

I can't wait for this rematch. Everyone's saying Mayweather will win comfortably next time and I must admit that was my immediate thinking as well. But I saw an interview with Paulie Malignaggi talking about the rematch and I think he's right that we might be in for another close one;

"It's a good fight. People say Mayweather's gonna make it easier but I don't see how because even if there's things Mayweather wants to do different, like he did well in the Castillo rematch, he's not that age anymore. So maybe there's things Mayweather may wanna do or says he can do, he may have it in his mind but I don't know that physically he can do those things anymore. I think the first fight showed us he knows what he has to do, but at 37 years old are you still able to do those things?

So for that reason, I don't know why people keep saying 'oh yeah, he's gonna win more clearly this time'. I have my doubts about that because, again, I see the same kind of physical pressure being brought on by Marcos and I don't know if Mayweather has those young legs anymore. So from that perspective, I can see it being competitive again, and who knows?"

On Mayweather saying he fought Maidana the way he did to entertain the fans;

"Come on. If anybody buys that, take a hike. He said that when he fought Cotto too. I mean, come on. Nobody just lets you punch them in the face because it's for the fans. I love the fans too but I'm not letting someone punch me in the face."

It's easy to say Floyd wins easier this time but when you really think about it, what's he going to change? He knew what kind of tactics Maidana would be looking to use last time and he still had trouble keeping him off for quite a bit of the fight. I mean, I still favour Mayweather to win again, but I'm not sure he's just going to magically walk through Maidana this time like a lot seem to think.

I scored the fight a draw, i had Canelo winning a few of the rounds that Steve Farhood was giving to Lara based purely on the aggression. It's a very subjective fight to score, i mean it's all well and good skipping around the ring but when the actual punches landed per round are so even on paper (the landed number was low all night) i tend to score for the guy pushing forward trying to make things happen.

True but you can flip that around and say 'it's all well and could coming forward but when the actual punches landed per round are so even I tend to score for the guy showing more ring generalship and technique'. Like you say, it's subjective. I generally prefer more aggressive fighters as well but it was one of them fights where I could watch it ten times and probably come out with my scores going 5-5 either way. Wouldn't have been a robbery either way but that fucking 117-111 scorecard and Brian Kenny acting like Canelo pretty much whitewashed it is pretty disgraceful. I think everyone agreed that score was off. Except Brian Kenny, of course.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

is it ring generalship to skip around around the outside of the ring though and not actually throw many punches? id say the guy taking the center of the ring pursuing the guy on his bike is the general.

A similar fight was was the Provodnikov/Algieri fight a few weeks back with Algieri being the guy skipping around, the difference there was Algieri threw a lot of punches, especially whilst on the move. He was constantly peppering Provodnikov.

on the subject of Algieri, he's landed a fight with Pacquiao in November.

• Paid Members
is it ring generalship to skip around around the outside of the ring though and not actually throw many punches? id say the guy taking the center of the ring pursuing the guy on his bike is the general.

Canelo was controlling the centre, but he wasn't landing much either. And the counter argument could be made that Lara was making him fight his fight at times. He wasn't going to slug it out and play into Canelo's hands. It was a tricky fight to score. I get what you're saying but it shouldn't matter even if Lara was moonwalking, if he's landing around as much as Canelo, sometimes more, then you can see why rounds were going to him. Same way you can see rounds going against him. If it was scored looking at the fight as a whole I could see rewarding Canelo coming forward more, but round by round there wasn't much in a lot of those rounds. A lot of the time Canelo's coming forward was no more effective than Lara's skipping around. They basically nullified each other tactically.

• Paid Members

yeh i hear you and i get both sides of the argument...as i said though, i scored the fight a draw but im glad Canelo won the fight. I think the worries Canelo's team had going into the fight were justified it wasn't a style of fight that did him many favours, but he got through it :) Canelo will have much better fights down the line.

Boxnation card tonight too, Frank Buglioni make his comeback after getting bombed out a few years ago. He was Frank Warren's golden child so i expect him to win comfortably, Warren needs him back on track. Fight's due to start around 10.15.

• Paid Members

Yeah it's worked out better with Canelo winning because he's more of a star and there's big fights ahead for him. More upside. And I'm more of a fan of his anyway than Lara.

What's the chances we see Canelo vs Cotto soon? That'd be brilliant. Huge fight as well with the old Mexico vs Puerto Rico boxing rivalry and stuff. Plus Cotto coming off the big win over Martinez. That's the one I want to see.

I read something the other day as well, that Mayweather has two fights left of his career. And after the Maidana rematch he's looking at going out on a fight with Cotto or Pacquiao. A) is either of those fights realistic? I could see a Cotto rematch but I've given up on Floyd vs Manny. And B) is it really two fights and that's it for Floyd, do we reckon? The article I read (can't find it now) said it as if it's definite. He's retired before and come back though. I just get the feeling if he comes out and outclasses Maidana this time, then beats Cotto again say, or fuck it beats Pacquiao, I'd say he should retire with his perfect record intact but I've got a feeling he won't. There'll always be another payday. Look at the business the Canelo fight did, few impressive wins for Canelo and that rematch could be massive. There's the Amir Khan fight as well. I have a hard time imagining Floyd walking away leaving money on the table while he's still fighting so good.