Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I kind of agree with that about James Toney. He was a really great boxer, at his best he was almost untouchable. He may well have been more naturally gifted than even Jones was in my opinion. Which might sound silly given how dominant Jones was when the two actually fought.

What separated them I think was that Jones relentlessly worked at it and Toney would often get by just relying on skill and would come into fights looking a little bit soft. It was usually enough but when he fought Jones, who was close or equal to him in natural talent and skill but also worked harder and was more focused, he got schooled.

I've got a bunch of Toney fights I've been meaning to work through but haven't had the time. I'd definitely recommend anyone check out his fights with Jirov (awesome fight), Holyfield, Barkley (maybe his best career performance), Mike McCallum and Charles Williams.

I'd also recommend reading Dark Trade: Lost In Boxing for the great account of Toney's life/career.

I loved how Jones lost it a little when someone (Woodhall i think) commented that James Toney was more gifted than anyone else sitting at the table.

That amused me as well.

I think Toney was close in talent to Jones, but Jones still nudges it. 90's Roy Jones maybe the most talented boxer I have seen, along with my personal favorite Prince Naz. The quote of the debate came from Cliche Collins as a result of Eubank winding him up about ducking Calzaghe and saying he did not know Collins pulled out due to a injury to which Collins moaned "well we don't talk on the phone much Chris"

The backhanded "donkey" and "stallion" comparison that Eubank gave to Collins was also mildly amusing just for Collins's reaction.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

well fuck me, that was insane.

11 rounds of brutality. Lebedov cut his eye early and through the fight his eye just got worse and worse, by round 8-9 they needed to pull the guy out his face was destroyed, but being as it was in Russia they allowed it to go on until Lebedov basically dropped through sheer exhaustion and having just been beaten up into submission in round 11. Guillermo Jones may possibly have the best chin ive ever seen...ive used to term terminator in the past when watching fights but that was just unreal, he didn't even flinch he just walked through everything Lebedov hit him with. Fucking warriors, the pair of em.

Some fight, do yourself a favour and get hold of it.

• Paid Members

So, Don King has a world champion again.

To echo what Ebb said...

Denis Lebedev Vs Guillermo Jones was an incredible fight. Jones won. Lebedev's eye was one of the worst I have ever seen. It was swollen up so much it looked like he'd been in a car crash, and, holy fuck, does Jones have some chin. Jones won by TKO in the eleventh.

Also on the card Alexander Povetkin beat Andrzej Wawrzyk iin three rounds. Povetkin has a look in the first round. Then he turned it on and it became clear that Wawrzyk was out of his depth. So, it looks like Povetkin versus Wlad for latter in the year is on.

I'll steal a tweet from Steve Bunce about Lebedev/Jones .

https://twitter.com/bigdaddybunce/status/335485534426251265

Steve Bunce ‏@bigdaddybunce 2h

That was one of the greatest and most savage fights that I have ever seen. Lebedev went down in 11th and that was it. Stunning Jones win.

Edited by nfc90210

• Paid Members

a massive oppurtunity and he scuppers it for 1lb :( that probably means that Purdy damn near killed himself getting down to what he is.

it doesnt bode well.

Report and pictures of the Lebebev massacre

...worrying, reports are starting to surface that Jones refused to take a post fight drug test.

Edited by Ebb

Jones' face wasn't even marked up by the end of the fight and he had been hit with heavy bombs all night. The punch stats were mostly in favour of Lebedev, they might have been doctored by the Russian compubox a bit, like the points scores. Lebedev was ahead on all of the cards when the fight was stopped and would of won it, if he had held on.

Very strange situation how a fighter who had not boxed in 18 months and looked out of shape. Kept coming forward getting hit as well as throwing big punches himself but wasn't tiring to the point of Lebedev was. Jones must of taken 50 shots to the chin but never wobbled.

• Paid Members
Very strange situation how a fighter who had not boxed in 18 months and looked out of shape. Kept coming forward getting hit as well as throwing big punches himself but wasn't tiring to the point of Lebedev was. Jones must of taken 50 shots to the chin but never wobbled.

yeh man, if something comes out of this that Jones was under the influence of something this may be the definitive fight to show what difference it can make. It ain't like Jones was keeping a relentless pace, for a guy that didn't look in great shape he certainly didn't slow down and had by far his most productive round in the 10th...and his punch resistance was almost superhuman.

As for Matthyse, that was tremendous. Gotta love a power puncher, the dude has star quality and now he's now in a position where he may become one of the biggest stars in the game, destructive punching power.

The Alexander/Purdy fight was a weird one, painfully one sided but Purdy's constant chatter made it pretty entertaining. I think Barker pulled him due to Purdy pretty much being in a position after 7 where he would have needed to stop Alexander to win, but against a one armed fighter who may have been slowing down i think i may have given him another 1-2 rounds.

I'm glad Matthysse got the big win against a top name in style. I'm surprised Peterson decided to trade for the 2nd round onwards because it wasn't going to end well for him. He should have used the reach advantage and boxed from distance like he did in the 1st. Also Matthysse was jet-lagged as he only came into the country a couple of days ago because someone broke into his house and fucked with his passport. He had to get a new one and wait a week before he could fly.

Alexander/Purdy was what it was. Alexander looked sharp hitting a moving punching bag. He lacks any form of serious power though, so I can see why he would be a good fit for Amir Khan. If Purdy had stayed in there for the 12 rounds, there's always a chance he could have done something to turn the fight but then there's always that chance he could get hurt even more.

Matchroom have got Darren Barker another world title opportunity against Daniel Geale. Its on the neutral ground of New York on August 17th. Barker has got a good chance of winning that one.

the epilogue episode of All Access for Guerrero/Mayweather. Edited by Rossman

• Paid Members

Lucas Matthysse is a scary, scary man. That is power.

I thought when the camera focused on Danny Garcia after the fight I thought he looked worried.

Sky talked to Khan a few minutes after fight ended. He said he would like to fight Matthysse. My brother who considers himself an expert on body language, on account of watching Lie to Me, noticed that as Khan was saying how much he 'd like to fight Matthysse he was shaking his head. I defer to my brother who says that this was Khan's subconscious letting him down.

• Paid Members

Matthysse is awesome. Love watching him, I was a bit late to the party with him but I quickly became a fan once I saw him fight. Last year solidified him as one of my new favourites to watch with his great fights with Soto and Olusegun. Blasting through Lamont Peterson in 3 rounds is huge. I hope they can get the Garcia fight on, would be fireworks and I'd fancy Matthysse to take it.I caught the repeat of Lebedev vs Jones yesterday, I forgot it was even happening and just put it on in the background while my sister and the kids were round mine. I went in not expecting much really, but I was caught up in it soon enough. Christ, what a fight. Just a wild, brutal war. Lebedev's eye was fucking vile, I mean he wasn't the best looking bloke to begin with but fuck me.