Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Larry Merchant will be calling his last fight on HBO this Saturday, he's getting replaced by Max Kellerman and one of the televised undercard fights was called off due to "Poonsawat Kratingdaenggymed" failing a blood test, reported to be HIV, what a way to find that shit out.

• Paid Members

That's awful news.

On Larry Merchant, man, the end of an era. He's a senile old bastard but he's been a part of so many of the most memorable nights in boxing dating way, way back. He's like a mental uncle who, although you might not agree with all his ramblings, you'll miss him when he's gone. I'll miss old Vodka Breath.

Doesn't help that I can't warm to Kellerman. He knows a lot about boxing but I find him such a boring, personalityless, charismaless, monotonous chore to listen to. At least Larry would shove a fan on his arse once in a while.

• Paid Members

Sorry for the double...

I found this interesting on the BBC this morning...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/20704194 = After Marquez-Pacquiao, what next for boxing's fading superstars?

Cheers, pretty good read. But it's not all doom and gloom like the article seems to suggest.

If anything it's healthy that guys like Marquez get some spotlight, Sergio Martinez has risen to the top, the emergence of guys like Andre Ward as a true elite boxer and Canelo Alvarez being on the cusp of potential greatness. Exciting fighters like Brandon Rios and Adrian Broner have raised their profiles as well. Boxing is fine.

As much as I'm gutted we never got Mayweather vs Pacquiao when it should have happened, and maybe it will never happen, it's not the be all-end all. It's a travesty it's slipped away but one fight doesn't make the sport.

• Paid Members

Don't forget Emanuel Steward as well.

I was just thinking, this year boxing lost Emanuel Steward, Bert Sugar, Angelo Dundee, Johnny Tapia, Hector Camacho, Corrie Sanders, Carmen Basilio, Julio Cesar Gonzales, Michael Dokes among others. And Paul Williams being left paralysed.

Last year Joe Frazier and Henry Cooper died. In 2009 Arturo Gatti, Alexis Arguello and Vernon Forrest, widely considered 3 of boxing's 'good guys', all died in the same month. It's been a rough few years for boxing.

• Paid Members

yeh, when you list them all like that it's pretty shocking :(

Wand. you hit the nail on the head when it comes to Merchant for me, he's such a frustrating guy to listen too and half the time talks utter bollocks but i will miss him when hes gone.

I've always liked Max Kellerman...i wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit more to Buncey's dislike rather than just Kellerman's interview technique.

• Paid Members

I wasn't keen on Sugar either to be honest. But boxing is a poorer place without him, he had an encyclopedic brain for boxing and was a bit of a character.

While I'm here, for anyone who hasn't seen Pacquiao vs Marquez 4 yet, the full thing's on Youtube, for now at least...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY5dM0G-cvU

• Paid Members

He (Sugar) was a bit dismissive of our 'Enry as well on the Ali boxset, as I recall. Nothing too scathing but he was quick to diminish Cooper's talents. Despite the footage showing him knocking young Clay (the physical peak version of Ali according to Ali himself) on his arse.

I'm a big Bunce fan. I also like Teddy Atlas, he talks some shite sometimes but I find him interesting to listen to all the same. His book is excellent as well.

Edited by wandshogun09

I also like Teddy Atlas, he talks some shite sometimes but I find him interesting to listen to all the same. His book is excellent as well.

I still have to pick up his book, from that I should do it soon.

That is the same reason I like him, you know you are going to get a proper opinion when he is asked something. You could never say he skirts a subject, regardless if you agree or not.

His nervous breakdown in these videos are golden .

(poor quality sorry)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpX3fJunp1M

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Ha, I've never seen that first one before. Teddy's fucking mental. If you read his book there's plenty of stuff like that and worse. He was going to shoot Donny Lalonde for fucks sake. The story of how he got that big scar down his face is in there as well. He's had an eventful life, has Teddy.

He;s honest, put he almost always picks the underdog depsite being wrong the majority of the time. Like he wants to say "I told you so"

Still, Teddy and Joe are my favourite commentary team, shits all over HBO's agenda based commentators from a great height